1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivV BNW -- new patch (notes) (mainly MP)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by MadDjinn, Oct 27, 2014.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Since this is mainly an MP patch notes, I'm cross posting here for increased visibility.

(though maybe a mod will do a proper xpost later).

(Patch releasing later today, 10/27/14)

Version 1.0.3.276

[EXPLOIT]
    • Fixed tech overflow bug that could allow a user to get free tech each turn for multiple turns. The size of the maximum allowable science overflow is now set at 5 turns of science (about the same as a unmodified research agreement) OR the unmodified cost of the last tech researched, whichever is larger. AI also understands this adjustment.
    • Fixed a multiplayer bug that would allow a player to steal everything from another player when trading.

[GAMEPLAY]
    • Allow Conquest of the New World achievements to be unlocked when playing the Deluxe version of the scenario.
    • Slight nerf to Tradition, and a boost to Piety (by adding one more prerequisite for Legalism and taking one away from Reformation).
    • Scale warmonger penalties by era (50% of normal strength in Ancient up to 90% in Industrial; 100% thereafter). Penalties for warmongering vs. City-States halved.
    • Added Cocoa and Bison resources from the Conquest Deluxe scenario into the main game.

[MULTIPLAYER]
    • The autoslotting of human players when loading a saved game in LAN multiplayer was broken when trying to play round-to-round. This has been fixed.
    • Players now properly exit LAN games when they encounter a version mismatch.
    • Players can now set their nick name in LAN games.
    • Fixed an issue where player would get stuck on the joining multiplayer game screen if they used an incomplete IP address while attempting to join by ip address.
    • Notifications are no longer considered “broadcast” unless the player is connected to the game. This will make it easier to communicate information to players who were not connected when the message was broadcast.
    • Players now unready themselves if the host changes the game settings before the game started.
    • The number of player slots available was not updating for connected remote clients when the host increased the map size on the staging room.
    • Fixed an issue causing AI civs that used to be players to still have the player's Steam name after the player leaves in Multiplayer.
    • A player's name in the staging room chat panel no longer swaps if they swapped player slots.
    • Some multiplayer notifications can now expire at the end of the next turn.
    • Some multiplayer notifications will not expire until the player has network connected to the game.
    • Multiple hot-joining bugs fixed in Pitboss.

[MISC BUGS]
    • The icon no longer changes to a spinning globe during diplomacy (this normally means the game is busy).
    • Don't show a third-party civ or City-State on the trade panel list to "Declare War" or "Make Peace" unless both players have met that civ or City-State.

2. Empedocles

Empedocles Chieftain

They finally fixed the trade exploit, awesome. The balances to tradition and piety were slowly needed, as well.

So, will we be seeing Bison in multiplayer, now? What kind of stats do bison give?

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

bison is a food type resource, similar to a cow.

should be able to see them in MP as it's the base game.

4. Thundefined

Thundefined Chieftain

You'll not see Bison, cause its not possible to play MP games due to resync's :)
    Thank you, Firaxis!

5. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

post logs or it didn't happen.

6. tschukki

tschukki Chieftain

it happened

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

Then post logs. I just played a session of over 30 turns without any crashes or resynchs. If the source of your problem is to be found, you need to provide the devs with your logs.

8. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

MadDjinn - please pass on to the developers that many of us are thrilled with the new patch. I am totally fine with waiting a few days for another patch if there are MP stability issues. We tried two 3x3s tonight and it crashed more than usual, and earlier than usual. I do not know how to upload error logs, I can give that a try if I can figure it out.

Civilization is the only video game I play (and probably the only video game I will ever play, I got into Civ 1 when I was a teen, showing how "old" I am in video game years), and I play almost exclusively MP. I don't like Beyond Earth so far, so I am going back to Civ 5, and I am excited that the developers are still spending time with Civ 5. I am an elite player in Civ MP - for example, I have thousands of hours of Civ 5 clocked so far and been a top league player (not #1, just in the single digits of top.) Yesterday I won by getting Xcoms on turn 150 for example (fast time control of course, other players crazy enough to let me pick Inca.) I will buy every reasonable DLC for Civ 5 that comes out (a lot of my friends are the same way), so if you keep them coming, we will keep buying!

Cheers - Joe

9. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

To get your logs, first if you haven't done it, go into your config.ini file and turn on the logging functions.

It's the lines in the debug section. You need to turn on the logging system (turn 0's to 1's), random, and outofsync logs. There could be other ones.

Then, when you play a game and it crashes, zip up your log folder in your my documents/my games/sm civ v/logs folder.

Post them here or in the tech support forum.

Also state your game settings and anything non-default that you choose (including teams/Ffa, turn mode, etc) as well as DLC settings. And did everyone update to the latest version. Plus Mac vs PC.

Basically, the more information they have, the better.

Attaching a file to the forum requires you to 'go advanced' for posting then scroll down to manage attachments.

10. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

You won't likely get logs from all the random MP players experiencing the problem. The devs will have to try and work with empirical evidence to try and figure it out. Or beta testers can come to the CivNQ chat room and play some 6 player FFA games with logging enabled. And see what the logs say....but I am willing to bet that something is causing data to desync and the logs may or may not show a cause for that.

CS

11. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Well, if people are willing to show up here and post their thoughts on the death of mp, they could at least be kind enough to post their logs at the same time.

Is there something special about the Nq group that it's happening there and not when I play a 5 person ffa game with people around the world (and not testers)?

Information leads to solutions. Random negative comments with no data does not.

12. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Interesting. It looks like that a double scout start will be likely too risky with the Trad nerf. A monument start seems the way to go now, whatever the tree you start with.

Or scout-monument, but the difference is too negligible unless you start with Spain or Americans. You better start with culture asap. Landed Elite and Monarchy can't wait.

But i'm pretty sure that it will not change the overall mp approach, i.e. build up your empire with Tradition.

Reformation faster is kind of interesting. It opens faster Sacred Sites victories. Pretty interesting under mp view since that it was almost impossible to win that way if you face multiple ennemies. It's a kind way to start with Liberty and "see" later if Piety can be good or not.

Start with Piety right away? Noob trap. Like it has always been.

My 2 cents.

Btw...it obsoletes all my strategy articles and videos! Damn you patch from hell!!! :lol: ...nah...sincerely, i'm pretty happy with these changes.

13. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

I think the patch will make Poland even stronger - they will get the premium Tradition policies earlier than everybody else. I also think the patch is an indirect nerf to civs that need to make scouts (Spain, Shoshone) - because the pathfinder takes longer to build than a scout, so opening with scouts/pathfinders puts them behind.

Also a slight nerf to Babylon - when barbs are on they need a unit to guard the academy.

Maybe just playing without ruins and not worrying about early scout will become popular...

14. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

MadDjinn, just played several MP games on the London Server, every game the loading screen appeared first few turns. Several people dropped each game, but I didn't drop. A few games we were all frozen until people started leaving, then game unfroze and was playable.

View attachment Logs.zip

15. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Thank you!

We'll see if that's sufficient to find the cause (one possible option is visible in the logs), else more logs from more games is always a good thing.

small note -- if you're playing multiple games without reloading, perhaps setting the file to not overwrite logs would be good, to catch everything from the multiple games:

[debug]
    ; Overwrite old network and message logs
    OverwriteLogs = 1 --- change this to 0

Then when you're starting up CivV again at a different time, delete the logs folder before loading.

16. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

You are welcome! There is no OverwriteLogs option in my config file - should I just type it in?

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I guess, as long as it's set to 0.

18. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

in my experience it´s very common for People from this room to make the game be scrapped by doing this causing problems on purpose like going deskt or starting dl.

but Joe should know if new Problems are "uncommon"

19. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

Here is another one MadDjinn - played a 6 person FFA on North American server. Loading screen after round 1, then somebody dropped.

In a previous try, after the reload I was a different civ but it was all bugged out (I didn't have the files for that.) View attachment Logs.zip

20. razorace

razorace Chieftain

Silverfuturist, I looked over your logs. Unfortunately, all I could get from them is that your games definitely desynced. If you're interested, I could get you hooked up with the proper log settings so we could debug those desyncs.

Now for some general questions....
    How often are you desyncing on turn 1 with 6 players?

Is anyone else encountering early game desyncs like this?