1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivWillard for Brave New World

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Aristos, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

This is the latest adaptation of the popular CivWillard mod by Onni for Brave New World. This first BNW version is mainly to make the mod work with the new expansion, but also added a few details related to the new features of the expansion. I will keep maintaining this mod in the near future.

Feel free to report issues, or make suggestions on how/what to add/improve/delete.

2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Reserved for future use.

3. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Reserved for future use (2).

4. Blkbird

Blkbird King

The MajorCiv and MinorCiv windows are wider than my screen (I estimate their width to be close to or even exceeding 1600 px, which I guess is too wide for many, if not most users), making the close button is off-screen, so I can't close them lest I reload the gamesave.

Please, make the windows closeable by the Esc key (like other dialog windows in the game)! And make them narrower, too, obviously. :)

5. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Yes, I made them wider assuming most people play at 1920. Never heard a comment against it, so I again assumed everyone was fine.

Nevertheless, as far as I remember you can go into the options tab for each window, and adjust the width there. Did you try that?

Also, the biggest offenders there are the buy/sell columns, so you could again go into the options tab and exchange those columns with their "short" versions... try also that. As far as I remember, the windows will adjust themselves to the necessary width defined by the chosen data columns (it's the data columns I adjusted, in fact, to avoid strange behaviours when items overflew the column width).

Let me know if any of the above works for you.

Oh, and about opening/closing: go to the options tab for each window, and define a hotkey for each, it's the simplest way. That hotkey will open and close the window. For example, I have Z, X and C as my hotkeys (as close as it gest to my left hand fingers ;)). Much better than the ESC key.

6. Blkbird

Blkbird King

Q: How do you switch to the Options tab if that tab itself is off-screen (it's not in my case, but it could have been if my screen was narrower still)?

7. Xink

Xink King

Hi

I have just installed...

R.E.D. Modpack (v 27)
    City Limits (v 3)

from the Steam workshop, and they seem to be fine.

I then installed this promising mod

CivWillard for BNW (v 2)

and then find, when enabled...

trying various combinations I am left with finding that it is when the R.E.D Modpack is enabled with the mod (and nothing else) it will then cause the crash when configuring the game data.

So somehow the combination of this and the RED mod are not playing ball together.

As noted initially the opening of each menu brings up a massively large window, I did see provision for changing the windows height but I must have not spent long enough to see the width settings.

Thanks for the work you have done in making this mod compatible with the latest expansion, a pity that it seems to have the above issues with the RED pack though.

(I have just made a note of this in Gedemon's R.E.D modpack thread)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383375&page=39

8. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Never tried it with Red, but as far as I know this mod has its own files that should be completely independent of any other files, mod or base game.

As for the width, yes, the options tab has only the vertical size parameter, the width of the window self-adjusts; what I did was to include by default the for-me-most-used data columns, with the addition of a pair of extra-wide buy/sell columns for luxuries and strat resources.

What you can do to adjust your windows is this little trick: change the view to any other that is not as wide, then go to options, inside options change to edit the view that is too wide for your screen, and delete the offending columns. Then go back to data, and you should see the new narrower window, but without the offending columns. Then go back to options if you want, and add the short versions of buy/sell.

The other thing I could do is to put the short versions as default instead of what I created for myself (the wider versions), so that by default those two windows are narrower, and then you do whatever you want (and can given your screens) with them.

Let me know how it works better for you.

9. Xink

Xink King

Thanks for the above help on the initial window sizing. I think I was a little overwhelmed when it was first opened, remembering what the original looked like.
    I really do think, considering that many people will not use 1920 or above resolution, that a shortened version should be the default when you first open the window. A brief note in the first post could help people if they wanted to add any columns or size to that.

Now on to my crashes...

I tried several times yesterday to get the mod combo to work and failed. Today I deleted the mod and downloaded it again and it now works fine...

...I would like to tell you that the file might have been corrupt, although it did check out fine with Winrar. So I have not got a clue as to why it would work but I'm really impressed that it now seems to.!

Is the mod available on Steam...?

Thanks again for sharing your work.

EDIT: Figured out the crashing - if I launch the game through the Direct X 11 shortcut it will crash with the combination of the two mods. If I launch the game normally and then select the Direct X 11 version it will not crash. Why this should happen I do not know. :crazyeye:

10. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

@Aristos
    Thanks alot for updating this great little mod :)

11. houndog

houndog Chieftain

Thanks again I rarely play without it

12. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

It's impossible to play without once you know it... ;)

It's a drug like the BUG mod in Civ4... what I wonder is why Firaxis doesn't add this type of addons to the core game?

No need to thank. I wanted to keep using it badly, and when Onni abandoned it, I had to get my hands dirty. Once done, I thought: "why not share it?", and here we are.

13. Blkbird

Blkbird King

They did consider it first, as Jon Shafer (Lead Designer for the original Civ5) confessed:

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Please do not bring Shafer's "confession" into my thread; personally, I find it disgusting, and an insult to any concept of professionalism. Yes, sure, mea culpa (and using arguments that have been raised by forum members here, me included, since vanilla release) by bashing one's own previous creation to try and fool people into buying the new creation.

Please, no Shafer conversation here. Let's talk the mod. Thanks.

15. Baleur

Baleur Prince

You've got spunk Aristos, i'll give u that.
    Thanks for the mod :)
    (compatible with info addict?)

16. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Thanks for teaching me a new word (spunk) ;).

Should be compatible with anything as the original was, because it has its own independent files. I use my adaptation of IA (Global Relations, also somewhere in this sub-forum for download), and it is fully compatible. Should be the same with full IA.

17. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

I have a bug. Only other mod being used that could interfere with CivWillard's operation is InfoAddict. Other mods in use are a three line no XP cap from barbarians mod and IGE. All menu options are non-responsive. Testing without any other mods does not remove the problem.

Spoiler :

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

@tomtom,

that is what you see when the mod crashes. You should not see that anymore, but I don't know the effects of IGE on CivWillard. Can you try without IGE? Also, clear the cache before trying again.

19. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

It is IGE that's causing CivWillard to crash. I'm going to relay this to Don, I don't think this should be happening.

20. houndog

houndog Chieftain

I have successfully used Civwillard with IGE and Info Addict light(Global Relations) and not once have I experienced a crash.
    Although I have gotten that screen while using auto-end turn and it was not my turn yet it had just seemed to me like civwillard was waiting to load, then it popped up just fine.