1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

CivWorld getting cancelled

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Mar 2, 2013.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

On Thursday Firaxis announced that the Facebook game CivWorld will no longer be continued. The game will be shut down at May 29th this year.

For further discussions please see this thread.

Thanks to Circuit and Camikaze for this news hint :hatsoff:.

Attached Files:

2. CivCube

CivCube Adaptin'

The Zynga bubble burst a few months ago.

3. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

But, but, but... Wasn't this supposed to be the future of PC gaming!? :lol:

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

5. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

Good decision. They should have taken this step a year ago. CivWorld is a pathetic effort, a blot on Civilization title. I hate that it exists.

6. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

I don't hate that it exists :), but it definitely sucks. I actually wanted a light Civ that I can play online, but it just was not fun at all.

7. Tavenier

Tavenier Chieftain

Nothing lost indeed. Extremily boring game and i was scared at that time that others would like it so it would take manpower away from civ5 expansions or civ6.
    I had more fun playing silly games like smurfs or the hobbit. And thats saying a lot. They are boring too, but not after a full week, or smething.

8. Jim Crow

Jim Crow Chieftain

I don't know the game but seeing it's a facebook app i"m happy they cancelled it, i really hate facebook.

9. bkeich

bkeich Chieftain

"will not be longer continued"...

And today's english lesson.

10. The_J

I'll appreciate serious recommendations about how to improve my English :).

11. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

Any one of the following will work (regarding the English error):

...will no longer be continued...
    ...will not be continued [any longer]...

The error is that "no longer" is an idiom, so rearranging the words results in a nonsensical product. "Longer" has no place unless it's with (in this particular case) "no" or "any". It's one of those knotty areas of English.

12. The_J

:hatsoff: thanks, fixed :).

13. Horizons

Horizons King of the Ring

Wasn't this the title that Sid Meier was working on himself, doing coding and such ... sounds like he is way over the hill. :)

14. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

15. jrregan

jrregan Chieftain

A big drawback of the incremental model is that they require peeps to keep playing to stay fiscally sound. This didn't happen here, as I'm a typical gamer, and it folded. Even if players leave on normal funded model games, or like me, buy the thing and don't get around to installing it for a year, it's still reached its funded goal ( or not ). Eitherway, the expenses ended and the rest is income.

Overall, CivWorld was just an unfun, must multiplay ( not single player friendly ) game. That latter overlook really killed it. If there was a challenge singly, I would have played more. Also, if it wasn't for Dan's 'Cast advertisements I would have forgotten about this civ version several times. Extremely poor advertising.

16. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

I certainly have a lot of respect for Sid, but I think it's becoming painfully obvious the man isn't the god everyone thinks he is. You even look at his early successes like Civ and Col and you can see they have glaring holes which others had to fix (with newer versions or simply filling in). You look at recent stuff he's taken a stronger hand in, like Railroads and CivWorld and you get the feeling he's not letting his design team do their job, as if his ego is taking control.

Whatever the deal is, I hope he can overcome it. He's got a lot of good ideas, and he used to surround himself with a good team who would (apparently) tell him when he was wrong so that the final product came out right. Frex, Civ4 is awesome because of this.