1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivWorld now in Open Beta; no invite required

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Camikaze, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

2K Greg has posted on our CivWorld forum that the game has entered the open beta stage. This means that you no longer need an invite to play a game.

Go here for the game, and here to discuss all things CivWorld. :)

2. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Chieftain

Login server is constantly busy :(

3. eazyseeker

eazyseeker Chieftain

I 2nd that :(

4. mbkkbm

mbkkbm Silly American

5. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Chieftain

Wow! Play for 5 minutes and you're invited to buy Civ bucks! Cash cow! No thanks!

6. Double Stack

Double Stack Chieftain

It took 5 minutes to get an offer? Wow! Most apps ask you right away, if not a minute.

7. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Chieftain

Are the login servers always busy during the day or is my company blocking something?

I can play without problems at home but at the office, I keep getting "login servers busy".

8. pathos

pathos Chieftain

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I was wondering if there is an option to turn off auto-wall posts and status updates?

9. TagoMago

TagoMago Chieftain

Any game where real money can be used as a substitute for skill is not going to attract strategy-minded players. Knowing that no matter how well I formulate and execute my strategy some trust fund kid can do just as well or better without even trying is a major turn off.

10. carstuar

carstuar Chieftain

I'm currently playing this without paying real money, and it's incredibly fun. It's the only facebook game I've seen that has actual live interaction with other players, and it does not require you to spam your friends' profiles in order to get ahead. I have not yet experienced any pressure to buy "civ bucks" at all. The mini-games add -some- element of skill instead of the common [most time or cash spent = win] model, and building placement matters a lot.

11. dailynicholas

dailynicholas Chieftain

The game seems so divisive--some people seem to love it and some people seem to really dislike it. Sorta odd.

12. brianshapiro

brianshapiro Chieftain

There are more bugs in the game than there were before open beta

13. carstuar

carstuar Chieftain

Bugs will get ironed out eventually. Even with them I think it's the best facebook game ever made. It plays like a game rather than a repetitive chore.

14. knuter_warlord

knuter_warlord Chieftain

Played the game for about 15 minutes, and I've had enough already. I don' feel like it's got any of the good old "civ feeling" to it. And being able to buy yourself to the top using civbucks? No thanks!

15. Double Stack

Double Stack Chieftain

Did you try to buy and win? At the moment in my game, I'm in the top with a nice lead and I used ZERO CivBucks. I know a lot tried but I'm sure many are waiting til after the Beta.

16. danieladler

danieladler Chieftain

C-r-a-p

17. LaRo

LaRo Dead Rat

+1

I'll stick to Civ V.

18. Dunkah

Dunkah Chieftain

Played for about a month in closed beta or whatever the last test phase was. At first it was fun and exciting and new and different. However the placement of buildings didn't make much sense and there wasn't enough information in any of the Civ-o-pedias on what effected placement.

There were a few exploitable strategies that everyone seemed to be going for, and those of us who didn't were left behind.

The mini games got incredibly boring... the picture puzzles got to be to the point were I memorized almost every piece.

There was one game that I actually had a great team. They communicated and all tried to cooperate, that game was fun and my team actually won, I think. But I can't be sure because for all 5 or 6 games I played, the game was there one day and gone the next without any sense as to who won or what the final scores were.

All in all thumbs down... it seems to have some potential but isn't there yet.

19. Prisma2000

Prisma2000 Chieftain

I was hoping for a Civ game on Facebook.
    What I got is a Facebook game named "Civilization".

I think it'd be ok to adapt Civ to Facebook.
    But to adapt the usual Facebook game in order to justify calling it "Civilization"? No thanks.

20. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

This is the final nail in Civilization's coffin. Any faith I had in it bouncing back with a better sequel after V have been shattered.