CivWorld walkthrough video

The hierarchical rank system looks fascinating.

The "stop by to collect your harvests" looks dreadful.

Overall CW has gone up in my expectations, albeit from a very low base.

I hate that the game companies makes this kind of simplified games instead of perfecting the good old games. They should have made civ V more complex instead, with small battle maps as in Test of time but better done. In the battle maps they could have one unit on each tile. In the big world map its just so anoying to trasfer armies right now.

Is it Civ? Yes and no. Obviously it's not the 4X model that we've all played with and loved--so it's definitely not Civ by definition. But let's get real, guys, it's a Facebook game. It was never going to have the same system requirements as Civ 4 or even Civ 3. As you can see, the graphics seem to be based on CivRev's iPad application.

But I'm impressed with what I see so far. Firaxis has done a lot with very little. It looks like the Nation-States website game mixed with social networking. What I find fascinating is how Sid integrated different game mechanics with social interaction. I don't know how everything implemented yet, but it looks like people are assigned to different tasks. One person's helping with science, another person with culture...just like specialized cities in Civ 4 and 5. So if you like Civ because of all the different mechanics to play with and balance, then this is classic Sid Meier. And he's really evil and so, so right for equating Facebook social dynamics with exploitable mechanics. :D

Hmm this video already has 10x the number of views that the new DLC for Civ V has, while those are really nicely done. (No, I didn't make them :D ) So There must be something to the FB magic...

Just to up the Civ V numbers a bit and in case you missed them:

Civilization V Explorers Map Pack Walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNpd9GnBhYU

Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings Walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzIZuB9sWWg

If you look at those videos you'll see we do have nothing to fear form Civ World. It won't replace "regular" Civ. Facebook just doesn't have the depht for it. Only thing that will be deepe or at leasIt might bring more players into the Civ pool though, which we'll all benefit form I feel!

Hmm this video already has 10x the number of views that the new DLC for Civ V has, while those are really nicely done. (No, I didn't make them :D ) So There must be something to the FB magic...

Also more people eat bread than chocolate. Facebook has sneaked into lives as a "must have" internet app. I give it another year or two.

I think it would be something more of a civcity rome. I personally like the game, maybe this will be a good twist to the series

Well, it doesn't have the full name "Civilization," for what that's worth.

It seems most people are afraid of Facebook games. There's really no reason to be against this game. You don't have to play it, but there's no reason to hate it because it's different from regular civ.

It doesn't look too bad, but I'm kind of liking the way Age of Empires Online looks more right now. They are both casual games, so I probably would have time for both. AoEO doesn't use Facebook though, a huge plus for me.

It doesn't look too bad, but I'm kind of liking the way Age of Empires Online looks more right now. They are both casual games, so I probably would have time for both. AoEO doesn't use Facebook though, a huge plus for me.

True, it does use Games for Windows Live though... which is the lesser of two evils?

Microsoft could have been what Steam is now, but they went 360 on us PC users. If they want to make AoEO a success, make it easier to use and join Games for Windows Live. (I especially enjoyed it with Dawn of War 2).

Just running in a browser (with no attachments (FB, Twitter, Steam ect) if you don't want them) is what really impresses me and I think we're going to see great games that do just that in the upcoming years.

Well, seeing how CivFanatics has posted the CivWorld video on the front page to get more exposure, I'll add my comment and bump the thread up.

Agreed...
Won't be anything good I think.

Yes, for many of us used to playing the Civ series there is little or no relation to what we have come to think of as the "Firaxis Civilization" series of games and that doesn't please alot of us. However, I think this is a case where 2K Games is morphing the Civ series into an even more "mass media market" type of product.

It is interesting that Sid Meiers himself has been assigned to the project by 2K Games. One could assume that such a project does not require a "heavy" like Sid but just associating his name with the project would be a clue that this represents a major direction in which 2K wants to move.

When one considers the disappointing revelations about Civ5 one has to wonder just what the future of Civilization will be. Perhaps we are looking at it in the CivWorld youtube video?

Top Bottom