Clap's Civilizations | Newest: Roanoke, The Lost Colony

clapyourhands

Prince

"Be brave and fight." - Toypurina, 1785

Mods Attached at Bottom (Updated 7/25/17: Added inter-mod compatibility between Amis, Tongva, and Roanoke)

Spoiler :

Credits: Leugi, Pouakai, Colonialist Legacies, Irkalla, Troller0001, Kramer, San Gabriel Mission Playhouse

Note: I'd like to give a special thanks to Kramer. I pretty much created this civ on my own; when I Googled "tongva civ 5 mod," though, a post from Kramer came up where he brainstormed a Tongva civ. I suppose we used the same sources, since our UB, UU, and leader choices were all the same :lol:. They do different things, though, and I swear I independently chose the same uniques before finding Kramer's post.

Spoiler :

Spoiler Diplomacy screens if anyone can make them less jarring :

Hey guys, I want to welcome you all to my very first mod civ. The Tongva, led by Toypurina, are a group that is very relevant to me. For those who don't know, the Tongva were one of the largest and perhaps the most influential Native American tribes of Southern California--you may know them as the Gabrielinos, namesake of the San Gabriel Valley and San Gabriel Mountains. (Or perhaps the Chumash, who were very close to them).

I live just a stone's throw away from the San Gabriel Mission, which was a very significant building in Tongva history. Not only that, but I actually worked at the city museum, which covered not only mission history but also subsequent California rancho history as well. I'll save the details for the Civilopedia, but to summarize, Toypurina was a Tongva chief who led a revolt against the the Spanish missionaries of the San Gabriel Mission. She rallied the villages to stand up against their mistreatment, forcible assimilation, and impressment into labor to build the mission itself. Though the rebellion failed and Toypurina exiled, her action martyred her as a symbol of resistance against colonization and cemented her as a hero in both Tongva and Californian history, sometimes called the "Joan d'Arc of California." Toypurina was the only Native American woman in history to lead a revolt against colonial powers. Given that and her ability to rally the various settlements for a common cause, I believe that she was the most fitting choice to lead the Tongva as a civilization.

In terms of the civ itself, Tongva is styled to be a heavily mercantilist nation. The Tongva were largely avoidant of war, usually trying to settle disputes without fighting. What they excelled in, however, was trade--specifically, moving goods up and down the rich coast of California. Thus, the Tongva UA and UU both give it bonuses in coastal areas; double Movement in shallow water helps Tongva claim valuable land to make use of its UU, which just as importantly can be used as a psuedo-scout since it isn't consumed after improving tiles. After scouting out the coast, Great Merchants can further help boost Gold with maritime city-states, somewhat like a weaker Venice that isn't totally useless when it comes to anything else.

The Tongva often inhabited marshlands, and in fact relied on them for many resources like tule reeds and willow. It only makes sense, then, for them to generate production in the UA and UB. Marsh helps provide defense for an otherwise very militarily-weak civ, though even so they receive a combat penalty as well. Ultimately, since Marsh is uncommon and is even moreso when it is also coastal, the Tongva will likely settle cities with either, but not both. This is intentional--part of what made Tongva trade so viable was that mainland and island Tongva settlements (such as in Santa Catalina, or Catalina Island as it is more often called today) traded unique goods with one another; thus, connecting inland and coastal resources is the best way to take advantage of the full extent of the Tongva's abilities. As a side note, both the UB and UU unlock at the start instead of at Pottery/Sailing respectively. It's only a few turns and probably won't make much of a difference, but logically it make sense; though the graphics show otherwise, the ti'at uses no sails (it uses reeds and tar) and the ki uses no clay (also reeds).

I know the art in this is kinda lackluster, I'm not much of an artist so I did the best I could with images from Google and Gimp effects and filters. I'd love it if someone could help me out with the loading and diplomacy screens.

Side Note about the icon choice (you don't really have to read it, just thought I'd bring it up as a discussion point):
Spoiler :
I was pretty conflicted about this choice. Overall, I was between three options. The first was the bell I ended up using; the second was an icon involving tule reeds; the third was an odd symbol from a local play about Toypurina herself, hosted at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse (ie: the mission where she staged her rebellion):

I had a few issues with this one. Namely, I have no clue what it means and can't find info about it anywhere; pictures of Tongva jewelry and the like don't seem to incorporate feathers or the like, and the play is no longer running so I don't think I'd be able to catch it and see if it involves a costume from it. Since for all I know it could just be a fictional symbol from a stage production, I chose not to use it. I did use the actress who played Toypurina as the diplomacy screen image, though, since there are no full body images of Toypurina herself and I don't think I'm up to the task of drawing one.

Between the reeds and the bell, I was torn. On one hand, the bell is meant to represent the mission (it's a mission bell); obviously, this has connotations of representing the Spanish missionaries that mistreated the Tongva. On the other hand, the mission was undisputedly built by the Tongva, and today the mission itself is so associated with them that it's one of the first things people think of when they hear "Gabrielino tribes". Today, the mission seems to be owning up to its Tongva heritage, and the Tongva are certainly vocal about being the ones who built it. The bell is definitely recognizable, and I'm surprised no other civ seems to incorporate a bell as a symbol. The color scheme is also surprisingly unused even amongst mod civs; it would only work with the mission bell, though, as the reeds would probably end up using a much more common shade of greenish blue or white.

The reeds were the "safe" choice; they were an important plant in Tongva culture and don't have the same Spanish colonial associations, but I was worried that they'd be bland and nondescript; plenty of civs use a plant motif as their icon, and reeds are unlikely to stand out nearly as much as a bell. It's definitely up for debate, though. What do you guys think?

I really hope you guys enjoy the civ. It was very enlightening to research more about a group that is directly connected not only to my surroundings, but also my own experiences being so close to the mission and working at the museum. I'm a total noob when it comes to actually playing civ (I'm still learning at a low difficulty), so I have no clue if this civ will end up totally under or overpowered, but I did my best to try and not make it excessively either. I hope I did the civ justice. What do you guys think?

____
Known bugs:
- Two related ones: the selection screen shows a worker as a UU, and the civilopedia shows all the units that get the coast movement bonus as UUs. It's a low priority fix for now, since it's not gamebreaking.

New Civ:

Raho Ari of the Amis

Spoiler :
Hey everyone, I'm back with a new civ. It was a lot easier this time around without the first-time mistakes and the like. This one is based on the Amis, the largest group of the Taiwanese aboriginals. Raho Ari was the chief of an indigenous tribe during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan and led a long, arduous campaign against assimilation and cultural erosion. The Amis and other Taiwanese aboriginals all have some very rich cultures that I won't try to condense in this short blurb, but I hope you guys do a bit of research if you're interested to learn more about them!

New Civ:

Sir Walter Raleigh of the Roanoke Colony

To put it bluntly, Roanoke has an incredibly crappy start in the game. Most harshly, the Capital cannot build any military units (other than what it starts with). This means you are entirely at the mercy of Barbarians and, potentially even worse, opponent civs. Workers and improvements cannot be defended, so you just have to make do with what you can scrape together and pray no one comes a-pillaging.

Roanoke’s UA comes into play when you found subsequent cities. Obviously, Roanoke was never anything near a full-blown civilization on its own (but then again, neither was Venice). Instead, it represents English colonial America, with each new city being named after the next chronological English settlement, having learned from the mistakes of previous colonial attempts. As you continue to found Croatoan, Jamestown, Popham, and so forth, each city becomes more successful than the last. 25% of Roanoke’s current Food, Gold, and Science is “locked in” as a permanent bonus to each new city. This is fixed at the time of founding and will not increase with Roanoke’s own growth. Thus, if Roanoke is outputting +10 Gold when you found Croatoan, Croatoan will permanently produce +2 Gold. Later, if Roanoke is outputting +30 Gold when you found Popham, Popham will permanently produce +7 Gold, though Croatoan will still only be producing +2.

Thus, there’s a fine balance to be struck between founding cities so that your civilization as a whole is not crippled, but also toughing it out so that when you do found one, its boosts are maximized. Another thing to keep in mind is that Roanoke cannot establish trade routes; this means you can’t just funnel Food or Gold into the capital to gain enormous boosts; the capital is limited by what is around it when founded, meaning that you should choose your location carefully. And again, the capital cannot build a military; you’ll have to move units from another city to Roanoke to defend it, lest Barbarians pillage your tiles and make hurt your other cities.

Roanoke’s capital is the fragile heart of a potentially powerful civilization; it never will be able to defend itself or trade on its own, yet the success of subsequent cities depends heavily on its own prosperity (especially since they cannot establish trade routes, either, so the output from the UA actually ends up filling in for this). Still, a 25% FGS static FGS bonus is immense; a city founded in the late game can grant enormous bonuses simply for existing. Roanoke will definitely be one of the most challenging civs to survive the early game with, but even if it likely won’t amount for much alone, its future cities will definitely prosper from its hard work.

Attachments

• Amis (v1).zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 412
  • Roanoke (v1.3).zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 364
  • Tongva (v1).zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Seems like each Unique gives a lot of bonuses?

Seems like each Unique gives a lot of bonuses?

It's really just the UA; the UU could be rewritten as "Provides +1 Gold on improvements and is not consumed upon use," and the UB could be written as "Provides +2 Production and +1 Gold on Marsh tiles." The rest of the stuff is either what the base building provides (or in the case of the UB, what it no longer provides). The UA is a three-parter like Morocco or the Huns; I do agree that it's a bit much, but I don't think it's excessively strong since marsh isn't very common and the movement bonus is surprisingly not all that great (it's useful when settling and scouting, but not really otherwise). Mapping it out to Arabia's: bonus Movement = trade route extension; bonus Merchant modifier = bonus religion modifier; marsh boost = double Oil.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Added a new civ: the Amis, led by Raho Ari of Taiwan. The indigenous Taiwanese haven't had much representation in fan civs for a group that is still around today. I thought I'd give it a shot; hope you guys enjoy it. (Fun fact: the closest genetic relatives of the Amis are the Filipino, not mainland Chinese, making them distinct from much of East Asia in more than just culture).

I also added YnAEMP support for the Tongva; it's sort of there for the Amis, but I haven't had a chance to test all of the maps since some of them are too intensive for my computer to load well when running other things. I'll finetune the placements and resources once I can free up enough processing to start games with the larger ones.

Wow, this is incredible. I saw these were added in the Civ V Custom Wiki and searched for them here. Do you intend on doing any other civs?

Wow, this is incredible. I saw these were added in the Civ V Custom Wiki and searched for them here. Do you intend on doing any other civs?

Thanks! As for other civs, I definitely am up for the possibility. I'm not too keen on doing civs that others have done before already (I'm not against it or anything, I'd just rather try putting something new into the game over something someone else has covered, especially if it wad done well). So I think it would end up being something interesting I come across while reading or something of the sort that would inspire me to try something out.

Well done CYH! Looking forward to seeing the Amis in a game!

Turns out there was a pretty big oversight in which loading more than one of my mod civs at a time caused them all to use the same graphics. Whoops. I fixed it and also added a new civ, Roanoke. Obviously the Roanoke colony was never a civ, but the idea for this one was more of a general "British colonial America" civ--each city is named chronologically after a British American settlement, starting with Roanoke. I thought it would be interesting to do a Venice-esque civ that has restrictions in exchange for a strong bonus; the idea with Roanoke was to have a very rocky start but improve with subsequent settlements/colonies. It's also my first brush with LUA, so I hope you guys like it!

Side Note: I have a Mac and as such don't think I can upload mods onto the Steam workshop. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Hey Clap, I don't know if you're still around anymore, but I updated your Amis and Tongva civs to actually have flags in-game. I hope this is okay with you, and maybe if you're still around, I could help you make actual art for your UU's and UB's in your civs! But for anyone interested, here are the updated civs:

Attachments

• Tongva (v 2).zip
    6 MB · Views: 194
  • Amis (v 2).zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Hey Clap, I don't know if you're still around anymore, but I updated your Amis and Tongva civs to actually have flags in-game. I hope this is okay with you, and maybe if you're still around, I could help you make actual art for your UU's and UB's in your civs! But for anyone interested, here are the updated civs:

Yeah I'm still around, mostly lurking more than posting due to real-life obligations. That's super-cool of you to update the civs with flags, I welcome anyone to work on and improve all of my mod civs to make them a better experience for everyone!

Yeah I'm still around, mostly lurking more than posting due to real-life obligations. That's super-cool of you to update the civs with flags, I welcome anyone to work on and improve all of my mod civs to make them a better experience for everyone!
It's cool you're still around! I would work on your Civ and give them UU and UB art, however I'm already working on my own civs. Perhaps if you ever wanted to make a civ again, I could make you some art!

Last edited:
With the Tongva the granary and marsh tiles aren't working properly. They appear as normal.

Top Bottom