Clarification of Dido's unique ability

enKage

Follower of Zoamelgustar
Hello,

because leader elimination thread is now taking place, before I do sth stupid and vote Dido up or down, I want to ask community how it really works.

Of course I am talking about moving capitol project.
This project is fairly expensive and I see no point of using it, because the capitol gets no benefit over other cities except city state bonus from first envoy - am I right?

Some time ago I saw a video on youtube, which said moving capitol is exttremely powerful for science victory, because you can use colonial cards on original capitol and old cities.
The problem is when I check those cards, they clearly state: "cities on other continents than your ORIGIN capitol", so I understand it that moving capitol via project makes no difference at all which cities are effected with colonial cards. (though I am not sure if "original capitol" is only the case of losing capitol via conquest).

can anyone confirm if colonial cards count moved via project capitol as new original capitol?

And if there were any changes, when it happened?

Please, no "I think, I suppose" or "I played Dido 1,5 year age" answers. I need " I am certain, cause I did it last game" answer

Last edited:
Original refers to your main capital, not where your capital moves if the original is conquered. Phoenicia moves the original.

I can confirm both Casa de Contracción and the colonial cards work towards Phoenicia's advantage.

Another added value is you can move your capital to a more defensible location late in the game, making the opponents domination game more difficult.

I have tested this (it was my first Gathering Storm game, and it was glorious).

Note: For whatever reason, sometimes the bonuses do not switch to the new capital paradigm immediately. There seems to be a delay of an indeterminate number of turns, which further testing may clarify.

Well first I wouldnt stress too much about the elimination threads as they are just 4 fun.

As Dwilson said, any and all bonuses that pertain to home and foreign continent bonuses are impacted by the capital switch project including their own loyalty bonus as well as the policy cards, some GA picks, some wonders etc..

So original continent does in fact change with the capital switch project. The distinction "original" is meant for civs that have lost their capital.

It's probably one of the most impactful UAs in the game for its sheer flexibility yet is unfortunately underrated cause it's not some boring direct bonus.

Phoenicia's scaling comes from the sheer number of cities you can put out. The obvious bonus is direct Settler production from Cothon and to a lesser extent the bonus movespeed. The less obvious one is moving your capital around as you settle across the map abusing the loyalty immunity and your hilarious naval supremacy and GPT to defend them.

Eventually you'll settle down, make your capital some backwater, and enjoy the having upwards of +40% gold +25% production etc in your core cities with governors.

It's proactive and fun. Give it a whirl. It'll probably be even better when they buff coastal cities soon.

Last edited:
The main issue currently with the move capital is the huge cost of the project and the requirment of building it in some backwater city.

I hope they change it to a fixed number of turns or allow other cities to help in the production.

The main issue currently with the move capital is the huge cost of the project and the requirment of building it in some backwater city.

I hope they change it to a fixed number of turns or allow other cities to help in the production.

The production cost isnt that problematic as you make it out to be. Youre going to invest into the city anyway with how fat your wallet is. Ultimately you end up transferring all capital benefits, so the project amounts to building a palace, gaining city state bonuses, etc ... and transfers the existing continent bonus. You can then afford settling even more cities that others wouldnt be able to settle peacefully.

That final point cannot be stressed enough because despite the capital transfer being net neutral on your existing empire, it enables it to grow more than normal.

Of course I wouldnt object to a cost normalization though the upcoming coastal city buff might be problematic on top.

Last edited:
With a bit of chopping and the loyalty admirals (you'll grab them easily with all those cothons) you can settle your future new capital about anywhere and then enjoy a second wave of colonization... just in time for the casa and the colonization policy.

The production cost isnt that problematic as you make it out to be. Youre going to invest into the city anyway with how fat your wallet is. Ultimately you end up transferring all capital benefits, so the project amounts to building a palace, gaining city state bonuses, etc ... and transfers the existing continent bonus. You can then afford settling even more cities that others wouldnt be able to settle peacefully.

That final point cannot be stressed enough because despite the capital transfer being net neutral on your existing empire, it enables it to grow more than normal.

Of course I wouldnt object to a cost normalization though the upcoming coastal city buff might be problematic on top.

I like dido and have played quite a few games with her and it definitly is possible/useable it can just take up to 20-30 turns to move the capital especially if you build it in a far of city so that all your cities get the benefits.

Not saying it's bad just a tad too expensive for where I think it should be balanced.

Top Bottom