Classic 33: Saves Now Available!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Jul 15, 2004.

1. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Well, playing the civ version in PTW is virtually asking for trouble! Good luck! :D

2. al_thor

al_thor Prince

Geez, thanks, ainwood. It has been a little rough, but I can't go back now. I had played the 2nd-half of the Ancient Age and ALL of the Middle Age before I saw your post warning about not using PTW with the CIV version. Oh, well.
    At first, I went through the 2nd half of the Ancient Age without a hitch. Then I got some crashing. I fixed them and continued. I then had some more crashing during Middle Ages, but managed to get through that okay.
    The worst part about the whole thing is that I've had to re-play a couple of Major Trading turns that take a while to complete. I'm trying to SAVE every turn, but it's tough to get into that kind of habit.
    Is there some medal catagory for what I'm trying to do? Maybe like a Perseverance (or maybe Perverted) medal of honor?

3. MjM

MjM Deity

4. ainwood

I'll open it say.... Now? :D

5. al_thor

al_thor Prince

Ainwood:
    It's been somewhat of a struggle with a fair amount of crashing, but I have managed to reach the Industrial Age. I definitely have to stay OUT of the Civilopedia, as that will almost always crash.
    I am poised for a Domination win, as I am 3 Techs ahead of the AI, and 4 or 5 turns away from building Tanks. I have a good stack of Cav/Arty, and when I get my first Tanks out, I will declare final war and try to end this thing once and for all. Get my 'unconventional' (25% played using CivIII, 75% played with PTW) victory medal ready............

6. ainwood

Well, next month just stick with the PTW version ;)

7. al_thor

al_thor Prince

I certainly will.

Good news: I managed to finish the game (whew!). Like I said, I had a fair amount of crashing, especially when a 'non-standard' unit made an appearance.

Thanks again for the game - it was a very good challenge, as I rarely play Pangea maps. That was a nice touch you did with the city of Rome :)

My scores are climbing with each GOTM that I complete: I ended up with Firaxis of 5523 with a Jason of 6336. Not stellar, but I'm proud of the game I played anyway.

8. mac224

mac224 Chieftain

Gentlemen,

I'm considering throwing my hat into the GOTM ring but had trouble starting the game after downloading the game file and the pediaicons.txt file. I'm playing original CIV with the 1.29f official patch.

From following this and other threads it looks like I need to download several previous GOTM patch files and install them in the order they were released in order to get started. (The FAQ wasn't really very helpful in this regard).

Call me lazy but this is a little intimidating and I'd hate to invest 10 or 20 hours in the game then realize I'd missed a file somewhere. Has anyone given any thought to a single official GOTM patch for Civ3 to make it easy for newcomers? Or do you want to keep the hurdle there to keep out the rifraff? Just my 2c.

Respectfully,
    mac

9. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy Retired Moderator

You're lazy ;).

Hows that for a welcome to GOTM land!

Anyway, AlanH has made some nice Mac installers. Did you see this sentence on the GOTM33 page? :

10. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Ahh! but is he really a Mac user? 1.29f hasn't been released for Mac yet, so I assumed he would have to suffer the Windows installers :D

11. ainwood

A single patch is one of those things that we keep meaning to do but never quite manage it. :(

Even if you do play for 10 or 20 hours and then get an error, its normally fixable, so you won't have wasted that time. :)

12. mac224

mac224 Chieftain

Ainwood: Understood. I will see if I can get it together for the next game.
    AlanH: Correct you are - a windows user, despite what my handle might lead you to believe.
    Dianthus: How did you know? :)

mac

13. Theophilus

Theophilus Chieftain

I have now finished my GOTM, thanks to some "help" from the stacks of AI modern armor spilling into my borders...but that's another story. I submitted my game, and the receipt I got back has my entry class at "open", but the downloaded zip file on my desktop is clearly titled "GOTM_33_CIV_PREDATOR.zip". I don't think this matters much, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Or could it be that the GOTM staff is trying to give me a subtle hint that predator is way over my head? ;)