1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clear Jungles with Fire

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Braum, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Braum

Braum Chieftain

This is probably a bad idea but I'll toss it out here.

I was thinking about the disadvantages of a jungle start. You have to wait for iron working to get to some of your resources. Why is that anyway? Can you cut through an oak with a bronze axe but not jungle plants and trees. You probably would just burn it down. That's how they clear jungles today, regrettable as it is.

So in game how would this work? You could have a match icon for your worker. You could choose to set fire to the forest or jungle to clear it. You'd get no production boost for doing this like if you waited for the prerequisite techs for chopping. There'd also be a small chance that the fire would spread to an adjacent tile. The fire would be visible, like fallout, and damage units over time. You could even add a temporary growth penalty to nearby cities from the smoke.

I can just imagine my scout making it to Monty's territory and seeing an out of control forest fire around his cities. Or maybe you deliberately set a forest fire in front of an invading force. Make it so you can only set a fire in your controlled territory to prevent setting your neighbors forests on fire. And you'd need an extinguish fire icon for workers so you could put it out if it spreads too much.

2. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

I doubt ancient empires wanted to intentionally burn their forests(without war intention) to make more space for their lands and more like it wouldn't even know how to control it when doing so.

3. Braum

Braum Chieftain

Yeah, I have no idea. Making a forest break isn't exactly rocket science so I'm sure they could have done controlled burns and probably did in rare circumstances. But wood was valuable so I agree it would be pretty unusual to just burn up a forest to clear it. That's why you'd get no chopping production bonus and probably wouldn't do it often.

As for jungles, I'm not sure Mayans or Aztecs ever learned how to smelt iron; or did they? The Mali I guess would have access to iron through trade.

Anyhow it could add some random comedy. Especially if forest fires you started in your lands could spread to neutral territory and eventually to rival territory. Or you had random lightning strike events that started fires in neutral territory that you might want to send a worker to control, or steal an AI worker doing the same. Or stubborn barbarians refusing to leave their burning encampments. But I don't write code so its probably a ton of work for not much benefit.

4. Argentino

Argentino Chieftain

This'd be hilarious....

5. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

The thing is that it's possible to simulate forest burning. (insert a dummy improvement that is pillaged) and the spread of the flames as well, but I'm not at the capacity to function optimally anymore.