1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Clearing the cache

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Vindicator7, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

So I have recently noticed a significant reduction in game performance. I thought it was just because I was playing on a larger map, so I started a new game on a tiny map. The game was still choppy on the very first turn, though not has bad, but defenitly worse then a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can think is that maybe I need to clear the cache. I downloaded the new patch and held "shift" while it was starting up to clear it but I didn't notice any difference in performance.

Is there a way I can manually check something to make sure the cache is cleared out?

2. Mysterio10000

Mysterio10000 Chieftain

When the game is loading, it will either list something like "XML (cached)" or "XML (uncached)". Holding down the SHIFT key while loading will display the "XML (uncached)" message, meaning the XML cache has been cleared.

3. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

You can check simply by navigating to the Cache folder and making sure there's nothing in it.

4. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

You can manually clear the cache by going to the cache folder and deleting the contents. It's a hidden folder under documents and settings/application data/my games/Civ 4 (or something like that).

5. Mr.No

Mr.No Chieftain

You can find it:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Aleksandar\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

The stuff with Aleksandar is my name so you will have yours.

6. Slbot911

Slbot911 Chieftain

How do you find hidden folders?

7. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

There should be a 'reveal hidden files and folders' option somewhere. They'll also show up if you search the folder.

8. lightnng

lightnng Chieftain

Open "Windows Explorer" (not to be confused with Internet Explorer; Windows Explorer can be found under start->programs->accessories)

Go to the "tools" menu

Go to the "view" tab

Choose the option to "show hidden files and folders"

9. hbskull321

hbskull321 Chieftain

How do you get to tools on vista?

10. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Chieftain

Click on the "Organize" option and choose "Folder and Search Options" then the view tab, then "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and drives" which will stand out since it's indented a bit more than the rest.

11. hbskull321

hbskull321 Chieftain

Thank you very much