Clever move by the AI......common post patch?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tapewormlondon, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tapewormlondon

Tapewormlondon Warlord

I was playing a game as the Incans (first post patch) and the way it had played out I was going for a cultural Victory. Had 3 core cities and 4 puppets. HAd DOFs with Songhai, Denmark and Spain for much of the game.

By the 1300s I was storming ahead in culture, production soldiers and gold. Every one else only had about 3-4 cities. confident in my lead I stopped looking at the demographics......silly me.

Suddenly Songhai had plonked down 4 more cities in quick succsesion and Babylon attacked 1 of the city states I was allies with. Since they were behind a now buffer of songhai (with another mountain pass inbetween, I couldnt outright attack so I gifted them some of my army......

Everyone denounces songhai.......I end my DOF when chance comes round, Songhai attacks a weakend Babylon (The units I gifted were longswords and pikes vs Babylons almost 100% knight army) gaining another 3 cities very quickly.

I nearvously check the demograhics. Songhai is now about 20% more than me in soldiers.......I see whats coming and quickly try to build more soldiers. I get Dowed on 2 turns later.

There are multiple chocke points through the mountain pass, but its gonna be one hell of a war, quite clever too by Songhai - no one else has denounced my or anything like that......although I will see what happens when im involved in a war!!

Anyway quite pleased with the clever play by the AI.....anyone else seen improvement?

2. spfun

spfun King

The problem is Songhai will now get owned by you even if he had 10x the soldiers. The combat AI is still very bad at 1upt. And things like mountain ranges make it far worse for them.

3. Tapewormlondon

Tapewormlondon Warlord

I dunno.....im not that great at the war aspect....lol

4. Becomedeath

Becomedeath The Destroyer

Cleverest thing I've seen the AI do is whilst at war with one Civ, another Civ came and parked a unit next to a city I was laying seige to blocking 2 hexes of access (empty hex blocked by mountain adjacent).

I took the citys defenses down and when they were low enough after several turns, the AI simply took the city right out from under me.

Didn't see it coming, although in hindsight, should have considered the move. But when the AI has such a questionable record of doing anything trully intelligible, you don't think about these things! :lol:

Sadly this is the only time I've seen anything even resembling anticipation. :sad:

5. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

I always check the demographics every 5-6 turns. Those numbers can really help you see what your next moves should be, even though they're not so specific in Civilization 5.

I think that the best would be to see those "the most..." screens whenever we want.

6. JWAT44

JWAT44 Prince

agreed

7. Ovidious

Ovidious Chieftain

Playing as Spain, I have been at war with the Mongols for a long time. They are next to me on the same continent. I was busy attacking a city of theirs and I get the "enemy close" message. All the way on the other side of my country they were launching a sea invasion. I have never been attacked from the sea by a country that shares the same land mass before. It was fun.

I was playing Prince level, continents, marathon speed.

If the Mongols would have followed through they could have put a serious hurt on me. I immediately purchased a tank and the next turn took out one of their mech inf. They had about six or so units that they never moved ashore. All I had in the area were puppets so I did not buy a ship to wipe them out. As soon as I took out that first unit and after I wounded a couple at sea they fled. They also had a great general that was never put ashore. I was able to city bomb that one as it fled.

8. Tapewormlondon

Tapewormlondon Warlord

Well it maybe wasnt as clever move by the AI as I thought. Askia although having more troops than me was a couple of techs behind. So my Cannons and longswords decimated his pikeman and catapults. He also despite declaring, never really advanced, so I advanced for him!!!

before id even got within range of his first city, he offered me all his gold, all GPT and resources!! No chance bub. I quickly took 4 cities and then sued for peace for another 2 cities and everything else he owned. Making me and my puppet empire unstoppable.

On a better note, I managed to stay friends with Cathy, that Viking dude and babylon for all game......but maybe that is because I was the super duper duper power. I also got my first culture win - yey!!.

9. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

Agreed, I always the demographics as well. I always them to hell.

10. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Edited now.

11. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

they AI is no better now, just more violent

12. KaiserKevin

KaiserKevin Warlord

A typical move I see the AI pull is getting a DoF from one neighbor, then DoW on the other, which is intelligent as it causes any backstab from the other neighbor to incur a diplomatic penalty, especially if that other neighbor is me. Happily this move works in reverse and I rarely get attacked on 2 fronts if I get a DoF with one neighbor, and if I do the perpetrator usually gets attacked by multiple other AI's as they concentrate forces on me.