[GS] Climate Change adjustments look great

I had no coal except through Hatussa but plenty of oil, so I just build 2 oil plants this game and some assorted units. Didn't try to avoid pollution but I was suzerain of Cardiff for most of the game so that was a bit less co2 as well. But the end result is pretty much the same as before the patch.

climate 1.png climate 2.png

Put in some effort while waiting for SV to finish. Decommissioned my plants, ran carbon recapture projects and put up a lot of windmills, and got Cardiff back as suzerain.

Climate 3.png

Correct, certainly at the moment I can scrub all carbon and still stay on level III, been tested and there is an xml file that states each sea level rise can only happen once. I suspect they will not change this.

Yes, droughts affect food and the odd pop loss I am happy with, I may lose a plantation or camp but not districts. These cat5 hurricanes affect 19 tiles and are pretty devastating to coastal cities. Yes you can tone them down but not off.
A tornado only affects a few tiles and I just have not seen the devastation of losing every district and building within.
The recovery from this is just too long. The effect on your game too greatfor me. A late game city sure but a T80 city getting badly hit is just ugh.
I have been hit by some quite severe tornadoes. Nothing as severe as a Cat-5 hurricane, but I did have some cities torn up that actually required some investment to return to normal, I was shocked. And of course, no yields from tornadoes either.

I managed to get my carbon capture into the negatives. Too bad you can't lower the climate damage level. I was up to 2 before I got everything negative. Probably not possible on immortal or deity though. And even this game the AI prioritized building a billion encampment districts, but very few industrial zones.

This screenshot is actually from the turn after victory (diplomatic victory which I found out America is basically the best at this victory).

Spoiler :

Firaxis could channel some California suffering and introduce wildfires which would destroy forest and jungle hexes. Basically take away the possibility of chops from them and turn them into empty plains/grassland tiles. Climate change could increase the chances of wildfires happening.
Edit: And make a way for disasters to interact with each other. eg: if a volcano erupts and there's a forest in the splash zone, it starts a wildfire

Firaxis could channel some California suffering and introduce wildfires which would destroy forest and jungle hexes. Basically take away the possibility of chops from them and turn them into empty plains/grassland tiles. Climate change could increase the chances of wildfires happening.
Edit: And make a way for disasters to interact with each other. eg: if a volcano erupts and there's a forest in the splash zone, it starts a wildfire

This would certainly be another interesting challenge to overcome in playthroughs ... though I can see the reluctance to dump every kind of disaster on us at once. There are already grumblings in the player base at having the random disasters we already have. Having one that burns down all your available forest for no gain I could see being frustrating to such players (though they could add that each burnt forest increases fertility of the tile or somesuch). My personal desire would be that they introduce a Regrowth mechanic, where after X number of turns, a cut/burnt forest will grow back on the map if the tile is left untouched (Probably something like 30 turns, as that seems to be the default length). I know we can plant forests in the late game, but there should be some natural recovery as well.

For myself, I would love more disasters and natural hindrances in the game. I enjoy the idea of having to manage living on a planet where there are things I just can't control, but have to simply react and deal with if they happen to befall me. So it's possible that they have introduced what they have, let the player base settle and get used to them, and then introduce more later on (which also gives them time to further develop and refine things). I know it was mentioned that the plague scenario is a test-bed to see if they could refine it to an actual game mechanic (which would be great). So maybe other systems could be worked in as well, such as wildfires and the conspicuously absent earthquakes.

Though I admit I'm sort of on the fence of say something like Meteors .. .I'm not sure we really need what are effectively random nukes interspersed throughout the game. Then again, they could have an alternate science victory in somehow preventing an Extinction-level event!

This would certainly be another interesting challenge to overcome in playthroughs ... though I can see the reluctance to dump every kind of disaster on us at once. There are already grumblings in the player base at having the random disasters we already have. Having one that burns down all your available forest for no gain I could see being frustrating to such players (though they could add that each burnt forest increases fertility of the tile or somesuch). My personal desire would be that they introduce a Regrowth mechanic, where after X number of turns, a cut/burnt forest will grow back on the map if the tile is left untouched (Probably something like 30 turns, as that seems to be the default length). I know we can plant forests in the late game, but there should be some natural recovery as well...

Alpha Centauri had that! Natural forest growth would be an awesome addition, and quite realistic. And Firaxis has done it before, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

civ4 also had natural forest growth. Can't remember about civ3.

civ4 also had natural forest growth. Can't remember about civ3.
Civ IV yes, Civ III no. But you could plant woods as early as the medieval era (pretty sure with Engineering).

I, too, would love to see the return of natural forest growth.

Top Bottom