[GS] Climate Change is inevitable and Im always the Biggest Contributor

GKShaman

Prince
A bit of a rant post.

Im fourth on science
I build 4 coastal cities on islands.
Beeline Flood Barriers.
Get a military engineer to each one. Some of them two.

Did have maybe 4 tanks and 3 coal power plants total - I am somehow the biggest contributor when Moctezuma has tank armies and the climate accords happen. I can decommission only three.

I try to build the flood Barriers even with faith buying a encampment and the buildings with money and more military engineers and I can't for the life of me get it done in time - some of the city dissolves.

Does this sound similar to your games?

I notice if I am EARLY in science - I can get the flood Barriers up and not lose anything and burn all the coal and do whatever. I notice when I am middle of it - its a race. When Im late to the science game or just at the tail end - I will lose city land/can't settle the distant island cities.

Also I wish there was a way to "give up" a city that's unrepairable or grow it new land - make it $2k a block or three builder charges. whatever. Just some method.

I notice if I am EARLY in science - I can get the flood Barriers up and not lose anything and burn all the coal and do whatever. I notice when I am middle of it - its a race. When Im late to the science game or just at the tail end - I will lose city land/can't settle the distant island cities.

Makes sense to me. Industrialized wealthy nations, who were the first to start pumping mass amounts of CO2 into the air, now have eough money to start buying electric cars and green tech, whereas latecomers like China and India are highly industry while things start to fall apart.

Also I wish there was a way to "give up" a city that's unrepairable or grow it new land - make it $2k a block or three builder charges. whatever. Just some method.

That's basically what a Seastead is.

yeah but I can't really put a district on a seasted or put them together to make a land bridge. I do generally like them.

A bit of a rant post.

Im fourth on science
I build 4 coastal cities on islands.
Beeline Flood Barriers.
Get a military engineer to each one. Some of them two.

Did have maybe 4 tanks and 3 coal power plants total - I am somehow the biggest contributor when Moctezuma has tank armies and the climate accords happen. I can decommission only three.

I try to build the flood Barriers even with faith buying a encampment and the buildings with money and more military engineers and I can't for the life of me get it done in time - some of the city dissolves.

Does this sound similar to your games?

It doesn't matter if you Have one power plant, if you're using 1000 coal in it you're using the most coal.

Do you know how much power you're using? If it's more than Monty uses in his 10 plants then that's why.

then don't build plants until the barriers are up! simple solution...

Otherwise, don't settle coasts...

And easiest of all, just win before that even becomes a factor.

I am somehow the biggest contributor
Without knowing the layout of your civ. the biggest mistake people make is building factories and Powerplants everywhere. Even if there is nothing to power they use resource.
I can get the flood Barriers up
Always be aware of how many lowland tiles are in city borders or will be, each tile extra doubles the original price as does each level of flooding. I posted the formula in the flood barrier wiki entry.
Normally you have a good enough science to bypass coal unless you really want the production power which to me is a bit late by that stage.

During my last game as Australia, I suppose I instinctively avoided settling on those tiles which'd be the first to flood. I understand that kind of hint is fairly recent and didn't come with GS on launch.

Anyway, I was by far the largest CO2 contributor. I had full Industrial Zones in about half my cities (5-6 of 12 or so), at first with Coal power, then I migrated to oil and then finally to nuclear (mostly). The flood barriers were erected early around my main cities, and I eventually started to build wind and solar farms to continue the implementation of renewable energy.

In the final turns before my Science victory, I had been recapturing carbon across a few cities, and had managed to reduce my civ's footprint in half, I believe. Shaved a thousand plus points.

By the end, global warming had reached the fourth or fifth stage. Probably couldn't stop it, but my people could've survived it largely unhindered.

Using enough science to bypass it and go to Oil or Nuclear or hydroelectric dams might be the best solution.

I guess I get confused how I come across as the biggest contributor every game when I have built like 4 coal power plants. It might just be related to the other power using buildings.

As for Lord Shadow - had a similar game where I was the tech lead. I did it all. Recaptured 600 diplo favor of carbon. Halved my footprint. I feel like it was oddly cheap though. I plundered the earth yet won climate accords.

If you burn the most you win the most.

I wish cities had to deal with smog, or air pollution or just straight up negatives other than an appeal loss due to IZs. Less tourism maybe?

Maybe add "Coal mining disasters" as a 3 pop loss event. Something.

Overall, I'd wager global warming is meant to be managed as opposed to avoided. Not sure the latter's possible.

You necessarily need to go through the dirty stuff to get to the clean stuff.

Last edited:
Just don’t mine coal and hope none is under your ... seat.
Nope, I am saying if you do not build mines on coal you have no coal to consume so do not have to worry. Elegant solution.
wait... if you build a mine on coal it still counts as warming? even if you dont use it? What? @Victoria
By removing the coal from your empire, your coal plants will not burn anything but they will still provide their production bonus. All your cities will have the little red power icon but it doesn't affect anything. I recently had a game where I had zero coal in my fairly decent empire (12 cities?) and produced zero emissions despite universal coal plants until I acquired a submarine.
The Green Germany approach...

your coal plants will not burn anything but they will still provide their production bonus.
No coal but you still feel dirty.
Would you consider this a bug worth reporting?

I guess Battersea power station will be very productive soon so it makes sense in a way.

Last edited:
Would you consider this a bug worth reporting?
I think this has to be intended behavior.
Because you'd need logic to govern plants that aren't burning fuel because another plant is covering them still get the bonus, but plants which aren't burning and the city is actually unpowered don't. But then the player cannot control which cities get power first during a fuel shortage, so people would complain, and they likely didn't ever expect the power plants to be worth more than a few hammers (see Oil and Nuke auras) in the first place.
The only way i currently know of that they supplied us to actually adjust what happens when power is used is:
The Building_YieldChangesBonusWithPower table allows you to set a yield when the building is powered. Like +3:c5production:. I don't know if you can trigger something more intelligent ('gives adjacency as yield') with a modifier, though.
Projects can also be set consume power when active but to my knowledge none do.
There would need to be more parameters in how buildings are defined to allow such a thing to happen.

The real bug is they probably didn't intend humans to make crazy IZs and thus have +20 coal plants :king:

A couple of games ago as Indonesia was not an unusual game for me, many cities on the coast, all around 50 production unpowered with no coal plants and not much useful to do bar projects because that is enough production for most things until late. But yeah, now I can at least build unpowered coal plants.

... the biggest mistake people make is building factories and Powerplants everywhere. Even if there is nothing to power they use resource.

What do you mean exactly?
A power plant is always built on top of a factory needing power, so a situation of "nothing to power" doesn't exist.

What I'd like to know:
If I have 4 IZ's with factories and coal power plants, no other power-consuming buildings are around, and all are within 6 tiles of each other - do they need 4 or 1 coal?

Top Bottom