1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Climb the Ladder V: Stalin - Emperor (again!)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by dankok8, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Hey guys, you may remember the Climb the Ladder series originally started by JTMac99 about a year back that I took over. I was very busy around that time and lost a little bit of enthusiasm in the game but I'm back!! I don't have the original save where I left off as Stalin (I don't want to restart since I know the terrain) so I'm starting a new game as Stalin.

Settings:

Continents - Temperate - Medium sea level - Standard size map - Normal Speed - Emperor Difficulty. Everything else is default.

Our Leader:

UU:

UB:

The Start:

I like the start. Potential to be a real production powerhouse!! Stalin might be the best axe-rusher in the game since he is the only Agg leader that starts with Mining. We'll see...

I posted the initial save. If you want to play, be my guest but please put your game and comments regarding the map in spoilers. I am playing these games out to 1) have fun 2) learn a little more about the game and I can't do either without y'all.

2. Orzio

Orzio Chieftain

Inc wonderspam of stone wonders ?:p

3. Supp

Supp Chieftain

Hahaha, Industrious with Stone FTW

4. Torgny

Torgny Chieftain

I would like to see the warrior NW to see if there is something interesting to reveal? If not, I would settle in place.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

IND stone is good. The cow glitch is not good. This won't be a bad production capitol though I suppose.

6. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Round 1: 4000-2720BC

There really isn't much to discuss about this starting spot. Forests all around north and west. I just settled in place and started on a worker.

I decided to research AH first since we have a Cow resource. Two turns later, my scout pops a hut and...

Nice? 10 turns of research shaved off this early? Of course, it gives me no immediate advantage since my worker won't be out until turn 15 anyways. :cry: To make matters worse, I have no Horses in the BFC. Haha.

I decide to research Bronze Working.

Smart decision since on turn 8...

In my opinion the WORST neighbour to have in the game. He is a huge military threat and you're not safe unless he's Friendly. If I have Copper anywhere near, I think I may be putting that brutal Stalin axerush to the test. Shaka's scout came from the east...

His scout barely missed a hut, my scout popped it and..

another scout. We meet another neighbour soon...

Religious fanatic. Easy to befriend if you have his religion and does NOT declare when Pleased (I only know this detail because I get him in almost every game for some reason...). However, he is still a competent techer and warmonger in the hands of the AI from my experience.

After producing 2 warriors, Moscow starts on a settler...

Meanwhile as BW is done, our civ begins researching Masonry for the Great Wall. Large tracts of land have lots of barbs and this wonder could really help us. The early GSpy doesn't hurt either to infiltrate Justinian.

As the settler is completed, the round ends.

Map:

Capital:

My Thoughts:
    1) The settler claims the Copper and settles 1E of the Corn to also grab the Deer.
    2) The capital can build the GW very quickly once the Stone is connected... I'm thinking the workerforce can build a road to our 2nd city and improve the Copper.
    3) After GW is finished, chop a Barracks and lots of Shock/Cover Axes and attack Shaka. If Justinian (north of the jungle belt) is the only other neighbour, wiping Shaka lets us cut off a large chunk of land for us.
    4) I will adopt Buddhism asap to get on Justinian's good side.

Good plan overall?

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Shaka is a huge douche. Kill him if you can.

8. CreeDakota

CreeDakota Chieftain

I would risk losing TGW and build barracks until your stone is online. I'm a sucker for hammer multiplier and with the bonus may be done around the same time anyway.

9. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Chieftain

For some reason Shaka has never DoW'd me even back in the days of civ III. He strikes me as an imp, that's why his UU is the impi.

10. kossin

kossin Chieftain

Ag>AH would have been my choice here.

11. mjg5591

mjg5591 Chieftain

I would also take out Shaka ASAP. He is always a nightmare in my games. Like the plan to settle copper with corn and deer. I would build barracks til stone hooked up though. With IND and stone GW should be easy.

12. Gocho

Gocho Chieftain

Why? You have a (crappy) food resource to hook up and it gives you a look for horses. Obviously those flood plains need farms but I don't see the advantage of going Ag first.

13. mjg5591

mjg5591 Chieftain

AG also discounts AH.

14. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

AH and Agriculture should definitely be your first two techs, though the order doesn't matter too much.

Skipping Agriculture to research BW/Masonry/Wheel was a mistake.

15. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

edit: initially thought a quick masonry could get rid of downtime enough to make an AH-only start work, but I underestimated the number of unforrested hills. I agree that AG was best here.

16. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Chieftain

With the cow glitch, farming a foodplains is a good idea.

17. Grashopa

Grashopa Chieftain

Settle the plains hill grabbing sheep and copper first. You get that city hooked up for trade routes for free without roads/sailing.

I'd also want to fail cash the great wall for your rush maybe?? I don't see you needing it.

Size 10 your capital will have almost 30 hammers a turn which is strong. I'd be looking to get HE there and go for catapults to take Byz next. So I'd be looking for another place to put the capital if possible.

If you are rushing make sure you only settle cities that will contribute hammers first.

Also you can mine that stone first which at size 2 gets you 10 turn settler and 9 hammers a turn. Then chop the wood for your wonder.

18. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Chieftain

The settings are continents so if Shaka goes tech trading may be a problem with Justinian. GW does offer a solution. Shaka REX's pretty well so you may have to act fast. If you don't rush Shaka it may be a good idea to not block him completely so that he has another target besides you -- then dogpile/stab him. Wondering about giving this a go myself.
    Edit: Did play to turn 32 for fun, new wrinkles
    Spoiler :
    Started the same but switched to AG after popping AH. Then popped mysticim and the wheel. Justinian offered OB at turn 25! Wow. Everybody seems to be popping tech except Shaka? Two turns away from BW. Built worker/warrior/warrior/barracks/warrior while growing to pop 4. Planning settler next and maybe SH aiming for an obsolete kind of game? Maybe, maybe not.

19. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Chieftain

Played to turn 100 and all I can say is that having ag early really helps. Decided to play peacefully with Shaka.
    Spoiler :
    The hut luck that both Justinian and I had made me wonder spam and REX a bit, ignoring Shaka. 2nd city was founded next to deer and corn where it also tagged copper and marble. Built worker first there because of wonder spamming. Since Justinian had writing that tech was approached from two sides, archery being picked up at some point. Moscow got SH, GW, Oracle. St. Pete already has granary, barracks, walls, forge. Rather hoping Shaka finally DoW's me. "Come and get me." He has been settling up the coast towards Justinian while I blocked Justinian on the other coast. Justinian and I are both Buddhist while Shaka is, I think, Jewish. Got a Gspy and infiltrated Justinian. Map is seeming too easy.

20. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Chieftain

I had to give up on this around turn 125. I've never seen such a run of insane luck. Can't stop laughing. I finally got Shaka to DoW me.
    Spoiler :
    I'm not sure what happened. Around turn 105 or so Shaka hits when I have 8 axe ready to move on him, more almost done, wondering if I can make it to alpha before strike hits me. Next thing I know I have two of his cities including his capitol, practically waltzing in. His stack disintegrates, alpha comes in so I get math and sailing from him for peace, build TGL in his former capitol, tech stealing starts, disband some units, stabilize the economy at around 5% but a lot of cities go research/scientists. Got another Gspy, settled. Almost have enough EP on Shaka to steal construction from him when I get hit with 4 barb sword, GW directs them towards Shaka and he loses his new capitol to them. Can't stop laughing. Did steal monarchy and aesthetics from Justinian, he's now working CoL. Sweet. Somehow St. Pete built the pyramids. Don't even remember trying to build them.