1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Clinton vs. Trump - USA Presidential race.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

It is not completely over, but the delegate math is getting grim for both Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz. That said, it will be months before the polls are at all reliable. The mud has not yet begun to fly.

For the moment, who will be the vice Presidential candidates? Trump could easily offer it to Cruz and plan on a single term. Hillary does not have that luxury. Sanders would not take the job.

J

2. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Its a 'Which is the bigger loser, vote for the other one' contest. I don't do that so when I don't have a good choice I simply don't vote. If I were to vote against someone I'd vote for Hillary. Yuck, just typing that has made me nauseous.

3. onejayhawk

The Oval Office is gift wrapped and there is no one to give it to.

Many of the eligible voters on this forum will hold their nose while casting their ballot.

J

4. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

who is a run of the mill ex general that would be willing to run with trump

he probably doesn't want a congressional person and he can't dip into the total crazies

5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Don't say that around here. I said something similar a while back and a gang of some of the self-righteous Hillary supporters here chimed in trying to bully me into voting for Hillary. I think it was in the Democratic Nomination thread.

Almost makes me want to not abstain and vote for Trump just to spite the Hillary supporters.

6. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

What are you even discussing in all these threads?

How are you not done at this point?

7. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Is that addressed to me?

8. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

Not in particular, no

I can't remember if you're big in these threads

OneJHawk, Timsuptonothing, Sommerswerd and Antilogic are the biggest sinners

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Oh, okay.

Nah, I'm not big in these threads. I just swoop in from time to time, make a few comments and then swoop back out.

10. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

Correction: antilogic is not quite comparable with the other three mentioned, sorry about that

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I think this thread is ahead of its time. The epic madness of Cleveland still lurks like a terrible storm on the GOP horizon.

12. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

It's still nowhere near a foregone conclusion that Trump will win the Republican nomination outright. He absolutely will win a clear plurality of delegates, something like 45-50% of them, but it's somewhat more likely than not that he'll fall just short of the 50% mark.

Question is: if he wins something like 47% of pledged delegates, do the Reps nominate him, or do they resist him tooth and nail in favor of someone else?

13. onejayhawk

Many (54) of the unpledged delegates will be from Pennsylvania. He can probably count on Carson's eight. There is also Cruz to take into account. Kasich has the backing of the party apparatus. Cruz never did. With a word, he can make all Trump's problems disappear.

Many of the media are talking up a sharply divided convention. Trump and Cruz are too canny for that. The question of a deal is not if, it's when.

J

14. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Hello President Trump

He's gonna beat her bad

He's got her on Iraq (she voted for it)
    He's got her on immigration
    He's got her on terrorism
    and he's got her on trade and jobs

What does she have other than a boring and dishonest persona and a campaign donor list of rich people buying favors?

Yes, I know Trump lies thru his teeth. But she's cowardly and conniving, he's a blowhard, a braggart and a salesman. The main reason Obama beat her was Iraq, not many people can overlook what she did and they're mostly RepublicansForBush anyway.

So what did Trump do? He went into South Carolina and accused the Bush crowd of lying us into Iraq. That took more guts than Cruz going to Iowa and opposing ethanol subsidies. Trump was actually angry in that debate when Jeb trotted out that line about his brother keeping us safe. He apparently knew some people who died that day. There were Republicans comparing him to Michael Moore for saying that, but he laid claim to a good sized chunk of the center-left by doing it.

So where's Hillary? Losing coal country with her mouth.

I'd prefer Trump or Cruz to her, but Cruz cant beat her. He's too conservative and libertarian for the center. Trump enjoys the flexibility of competing further across the political spectrum. Thats been the pattern in the open primaries, Trump does better when everyone can vote. And he'll be competing with her in states Democrats can usually take for granted.

I'd probably prefer Cruz to Trump, his libertarian streak would be nice to combine with a Republican Congress on government spending. Trump's support for ethanol subsidies shows he's not too serious about budget cuts.

I'd like to see a co-presidency with Gary Johnson and Elizabeth Warren :)

15. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

The general election will be the biggest landslide in living memory.

And Clinton will win, duh.

16. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I don't know, in '72 Nixon beat McGovern in every state except Massachusetts. That'll be hard to beat. :spank:

Her VP will be Joe Biden or Jerry Brown. Maybe Cory Booker or Julian Castro :trophy2nd:

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I'm not sure if there could possibly be a worse VP choice for Trump than Cruz. Maybe David Duke. Maybe.

It's an interesting question, though, because it's hard to think of anyone that would be all that great for Trump. Fiorina maybe?

Clinton has a choice of pretty much everyone in the Democratic party. Probably even some Republicans too if she really wanted. Cory Booker is probably a poor choice, as it would mean giving up a Senate seat to a Republican. Julian Castro has been mooted but I don't see how he would help. The theory that it would be more about giving him experience than him helping the campaign doesn't really seem like a winning strategy to me.

I've also read of Deval Patrick and Sherrod Brown being suggested. They seem more likely. I suspect against Trump the chances of a white rust-belt male would be higher. Brown would again result in losing a Senate seat. Maybe Tim Kaine would be close enough to do the trick? Does Minnesota count as rust-belt? If so, apparently their governor, Mark Dayton, is pretty popular.

18. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Don't you ever get bored of posting the same thing five times in just over a month?

19. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

True that.

From a pragmatic POV, selecting a non-white VP for Clinton would be very stupid. As a Democrat the black vote is guaranteed no matter what, and running against Trump she will win the latino vote by spectacular margins as well.

She needs an old white man. Well, actually she doesn't really need anything, as this election is totally in the bag, but an old white dude is the way to maximize her voting.

20. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Arakhor, you did the same in an instant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.