Clinton: women living shorter lives in American than other developed countries

civ_king

Deus Caritas Est
Speaking to a rock-star reception at just her second public event since leaving the White House, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this morning called for a 21st century approach to the fight for women's rights - and argued that no country, including America, can hope to achieve its full economic and political potential when "women are left out or left behind."

"I have always believed that women are not victims. We are agents of change. We are drivers of progress we are makers of peace," Clinton said, to a cheering crowd. "All we need is a fighting chance. And that firm faith in the untapped potential of women at home and around the world has been at the heart of my work my entire life."

Reiterating a line she used frequently as secretary of state, Clinton, who pushed a pro-women agenda while in the Obama administration, stressed that "women's rights are human rights and human rights are women's rights." But she also argued that empowering women and girls isn't just about being "nice" but about enabling countries to reach their economic and political potentials.

"Today more than ever we see clearly that the fate of women and girls far from here is tied up with the greatest security and economic challenges of our time," she said.

Citing India, China, and Pakistan as examples, Clinton argued that "tapping the talents and addressing the needs" of women in countries like Pakistan will facilitate "peace and progress"; that letting women into the political process in struggling Democracies like Egypt will foster Democratic progress; that equalizing professional and educational opportunities for women in America will not only aid economic improvement but also give the country the license to push a message of equality on the world stage.

""No country can achieve its full economic potential when women are left out or left behind," she said. "When women are liberated, so are entire societies."

Clinton, who is considered a top contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, insisted that the movement for women's rights must be modernized - particularly through technology and grassroots organization - and that the U.S. needs to be a leader in this cause, both abroad and at home.

"Our global leadership for peace and prosperity, for freedom and equality, is not a birthright. It must be earned by every generation," she said. "And yes, we now have American women at the high levels of business, academia, government -- you name it. But as we have seen in recent months, we're still asking age-old questions about how to make women's way in male-dominated fields, how to balance the demands of work and family."

She pointed to a study showing that, on average, women are living shorter lives in America than in any other major industrialized country.

"In places throughout America, large and small, the clock is turning back," she said. "If America is going to lead the way we expect ourselves to led we need to empower women here at home to participate fully in our economy and our society."

"This truly is the unfinished business of the 21st century and it is the work we are called to do," she said, closing her remarks to huge applause. "I look forward to being your partner."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...ad-globally-u.s-must-fight-for-women-at-home/

In the US women don't live to the same age as men

They also don't have the same life expectancy
Women tend to have a lower mortality rate at every age. In the womb, male fetuses have a higher mortality rate (babies are conceived in a ratio estimated to be from 107 to 170 males to 100 females, but the ratio at birth in the United States is only 105 males to 100 females).[44] Among the smallest premature babies (those under 2 pounds or 900 g) females again have a higher survival rate. At the other extreme, about 90% of individuals aged 110 are female. The difference in life expectancy between men and women in the United States dropped from 7.8 years in 1979 to 5.3 years in 2005, with women expected to live to age 80.1 in 2005.[45]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Sex_differences

They also successfully commit suicide at different rates

United States
In the United States, the male to female suicide death ratio varies between 3:1 to 10:1.[13] Typically males die from suicide three to four times more often as females, and not unusually five or more times as often. Females attempt suicide at a higher rate than males in the United States. When accounting for parasuicide, the rate between males and females shifts to 1:2. This is likely due to several factors, including a higher risk for depression among females in the United States.[14]
Use of mental health resources may be a significant contributor to gendered suicide rates in the US. Studies have shown that females are 13-21% more likely than males to receive a psychiatric affective diagnosis.[15] While 72-89% of females will have contact with a mental health professional at some point in their life, only 41-58% of males will make use of this resource.[15]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_suicide#Rates

It's true, they don't make the same amount

Women ages 22 to 30 with no husband and no kids earn a median $27,000 a year, 8% more than comparable men in the top 366 metropolitan areas, according to 2008 U.S. Census Bureau data crunched by the New York research firm Reach Advisors and released Wednesday. The women out-earn men in 39 of the 50 biggest cities and match them in another eight. The disparity is greatest in Atlanta, where young, childless single women earn 21% more than male counterparts.

It's also true they don't graduate college at the same rates as men

Education is the key: "Young women are going to college in droves," Reach Advisors reports. "Nearly three-quarters of girls who graduate from high school head to college, vs. two-thirds of the boys. But they don't stop there. Women are now 1.5 times more likely than men to graduate from college or earn advanced degrees." Armed with degrees, young women command higher salaries.

Especially minority women
The trend is especially apparent in cities where minority groups make up more than half the population. Among blacks and Hispanics, women are more than twice as likely as men to earn college degrees. Contributing to the shift: the "decimation of the manufacturing employment base," which has wiped out good-paying jobs for young men who didn't go to college, Reach Advisors notes.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2010-09-01-single-women_N.htm

Feminism is an ancient dinosaur idealogy now. The big, important battles have won and as you've shown woman are now outdoing men in many indicators. Now feminists get upset about stupid and unharmful stuff like the "white eye" and the "male gaze" and whether the bus driver calls you madam, ms or babe.

nice wikipediiang dood don't get why those feminists dont just look up statistics about women on wikipedia. duh.

nice wikipediiang dood don't get why those feminists dont just look up statistics about women on wikipedia. duh.
Because this wont keep the money flowing? Sufficiently large charities desire their own perpetuation.

Perhaps if Hillary had been a better wife, perhaps ol Billy wouldnt have been so unfaithful. But then again, without Bill, we'd all be saying 'Hillary who?' right now.

Considering how many legitimate reasons there are to bash her that seems rather cheap

My favorite from her is

Hillary Clinton said:
Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.

Perhaps if Hillary had been a better wife, perhaps ol Billy wouldnt have been so unfaithful. But then again, without Bill, we'd all be saying 'Hillary who?' right now.

I think you're a pretty reasonable guy usually, Mobby, but that's a fairly despicable/disgusting/jurassic thing to say. :nono:

I think you're a pretty reasonable guy usually, Mobby, but that's a fairly despicable/disgusting/jurassic thing to say. :nono:
I agree. I hope that was a joke.

Because this wont keep the money flowing? Sufficiently large charities desire their own perpetuation.

Considering how many legitimate reasons there are to bash her that seems rather cheap

My favorite from her is

That quote was some serious myopia there, and the one above about life expectancy as well.

You mean nice selective quote mining while ignoring the obvious?

Let's take women's pay, for instance:

Bloomberg Business Week: Shortchanged: Why Women Get Paid Less Than Men

Lilly Ledbetter discovered she was underpaid one spring evening in 1998 at the start of her overnight shift as a manager at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT) plant in Gadsden, Ala. She checked her mailbox as usual and found an anonymous note. On it was scribbled her monthly pay along with the pay of three men who started the same year she did and had the same job. The men were earning 15 to 40 percent more. “My heart jerked as if an electric jolt had coursed through my body,” she wrote in her 2012 memoir, Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond. Ledbetter had worked at Goodyear for 19 years but was never quite sure she was being paid unfairly. “I was like a wife nursing a nagging suspicion that her husband’s having an affair.”

Pay discrimination is a silent offense. Women know when they’re being harassed and abused, of course, and they can often tell if they’re being discriminated against in hiring and promotion—all they have to do is count the men with lesser skills and credentials doing jobs they still aspire to. But in many workplaces, discussing pay is frowned upon; in some, it’s a dismissible offense. So, like Ledbetter, women often don’t know when they’re getting paid less than men. So they don’t complain. So the problem continues.

But how frequently is it not "reasonable" in the least? This is hardly an isolated case. And it would be far higher if Mobby posted his own opinions more frequently instead of attacking those of others so much. But he has learned from experience that he can avoid far more criticism by taking that approach instead.

Your own forms of misogyny in this thread aren't much better, as well as Quackers.

These threads are great. But the victims usually don't even realize it. I can only hope that more of them will still post. Freedom of speech FTW.

the middle of the 20th century called. dinner is ready, come home now.

You mean nice selective quote mining while ignoring the obvious?

Let's take women's pay, for instance:

Bloomberg Business Week: Shortchanged: Why Women Get Paid Less Than Men

Lilly Ledbetter discovered she was underpaid one spring evening in 1998 at the start of her overnight shift as a manager at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT) plant in Gadsden, Ala. She checked her mailbox as usual and found an anonymous note. On it was scribbled her monthly pay along with the pay of three men who started the same year she did and had the same job. The men were earning 15 to 40 percent more. “My heart jerked as if an electric jolt had coursed through my body,” she wrote in her 2012 memoir, Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond. Ledbetter had worked at Goodyear for 19 years but was never quite sure she was being paid unfairly. “I was like a wife nursing a nagging suspicion that her husband’s having an affair.”

Pay discrimination is a silent offense. Women know when they’re being harassed and abused, of course, and they can often tell if they’re being discriminated against in hiring and promotion—all they have to do is count the men with lesser skills and credentials doing jobs they still aspire to. But in many workplaces, discussing pay is frowned upon; in some, it’s a dismissible offense. So, like Ledbetter, women often don’t know when they’re getting paid less than men. So they don’t complain. So the problem continues.

But how frequently is it not "reasonable" in the least? This is hardly an isolated case. And it would be far higher if Mobby posted his own opinions more frequently instead of attacking those of others so much. But he has learned from experience that he can avoid far more criticism by taking that approach instead.

Your own forms of misogyny in this thread aren't much better, as well as Quackers.

These threads are great. But the victims usually don't even realize it. I can only hope that more of them will still post. Freedom of speech FTW.
That quote wasn't quote mining, it was using statistics that are less bogus than the often trotted out 80¢ on the dollar.

That pretty graph is still misleading, see this study.

Would you like to try to spin workplace fatalities next?

What, is suggesting that the primary victim of men dying is not in fact women, but the men who are dying misogyny?

"The men were earning 15 to 40 percent more." So even among the men, pay was different? Are we sure this is a case of pay discrimination? Maybe they have a merit pay system and she's just the worst? I am not saying this is the case, but are we just jumping to the most politically offensive answer here instead of looking at other possible causes?

"The men were earning 15 to 40 percent more." So even among the men, pay was different? Are we sure this is a case of pay discrimination? Maybe they have a merit pay system and she's just the worst? I am not saying this is the case, but are we just jumping to the most politically offensive answer here instead of looking at other possible causes?

It is quite impossible that the guy with the highest salary worked more overtime at critical times and got recognized for that with bigger salary bumps, it was clearly a conspiracy against women that the highest paid man got $1k higher than the lowest paid man.

Feminism is an ancient dinosaur idealogy now. The big, important battles have won and as you've shown woman are now outdoing men in many indicators. Now feminists get upset about stupid and unharmful stuff like the "white eye" and the "male gaze" and whether the bus driver calls you madam, ms or babe.
I think it's still relevant seeing as how gender roles haven't been eliminated yet.

After all, everybody knows that women just can't compete with men in the workplace with a merit-based system?

How would you explain physicians and surgeons making far less? Because they just aren't as good? Why do male primary school teachers even make 10% more?

Talk about "politically offensive"...

Forma, I was asking about that specific case, nothing more. I though I tried to word that statement very narrowly to ensure that was understood. I apologize if that didn't come across.

After all, everybody knows that women just can't compete with men in the workplace with a merit-based system?

How would you explain physicians and surgeons making far less? Because they just aren't as good? Why do male primary school teachers even make 10% more?

Talk about "politically offensive"...

People aren't saying they can't, people are saying most aren't trying.

The women's prize for Wimbledon is a little smaller than the men's prize which sounds like people claiming women's efforts are worth less until you you divide the prize money by games played and then it becomes clear that on a rate basis women actually make a fair bit more.

Men are more likely to put in more overtime and they are substantially less likely to take time years out of the workforce then women.

How would you explain physicians and surgeons making far less?

I know a few doctors of various different specialties, frequently a couple who are both doctors. Most of the men do long hours and work hard at playing the political game that gets one higher up in the hierarchy. Most of the women do short weeks to spend time with their family. It is not at all surprising that in that environment men make more that women, even per hour.

You gotta also remember that I lived in Arkansas when Bill Clinton was governor. Theirs was a politically ambitious union from the very beginning. In fact, i'd say she was even more of a political animal than Bill ever was. She was always regarded as the force pushing him forward.

Heck, she didn't even change her name to 'Clinton' until Bill decided to run for President. Quite the political animal.

But I don't really know if she was a 'good wife' to Bill or not. He could be just a womanizing ass for all I know, and she just the terrible victim of his ways. Or she might be the queen of cold in the bedroom that drove him to have affairs. Who knows?

From what I've read, women make as much or more than men in most fields when you take into account the number of hours worked, time off (including, but not limited to, maternity leave), and the type of facility where they choose to work.

I recall one study about pay disparity in the medical industry claimed that female doctors gravitate much more strongly towards private family practice and men towards the ERs of large hospitals. Female surgeons on average don't work nearly as many hours and are much less likely to take night shifts. Male surgeons are also much more likely to specialize in the higher risk and higher paying types of operations, such as brain surgery.

It appears that the pay disparity is not a matter of ability or discrimination so much as it is a matter of already successful women recognizing the quickly diminishing marginal utility of further ambition. They could earn more money if they were willing to take on a lot more stress, but do not typically think this is a good tradeoff. (I tend to think they are right, and that most of the more ambitious men would be much happier if they worked less.)

Top Bottom