1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Close City Window" Keeps popping up Win XP

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by klassic, Jun 26, 2009.

1. klassic

klassic Chieftain

First of all I would like to thank Thunderfall for activating my account. No activation email received after hours.

I have Civ2 MGE and I just installed it for the first time on my wife's laptop. It is running Windows XP Home SP3. I last played MGE on my computer (Win XP Pro SP2 with no problems. However that computer is out of commission right now.). Install worked fine. I started a new game and when ever I go to the city window the message box pops up that I need to close the city window before continuing. I have clicked no where outside the window, and press no additional keys. If I click close and am fast enough I can change the production from phalanx to settler etc. But I am not fast enough to change the farming areas. If I click Close City Window I can continue playing the game fine until I have to view a city again. The window pops up about 1-2 seconds after I close it.

So I searched the net and found my self here at civfanatics.com. I downloaded the MGE 1.3 patch and installed it. I started a new game, but still having the same problem. Last night I uninstalled Civ2. Reinstalled it, installed 1.3 patch and then tried a new game. Still has the same issue.

I read through all of the threads even remotely similar and can't find any help. One thing I have not been able to do is locate updated indeo drivers, but I do not think that is the problem.

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciated it.

2. klassic

klassic Chieftain

Lot of people viewed this thread, but no replies so far. Not sure if this will help, but I tried something else to see if I could get the game to work. I installed Virtual PC and then set up an Windows 98 environment. I noticed that when I was in the Win98 environment I had a stuck = key. I am not sure if this would effect Civ or not. Oddly enough there were no signs of a stuck key while in XP. If I open note pad in 98 it keeps typing =. If I open notepad in XP I get nothing.

Still baffled.

3. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Chieftain

I think we're all baffled by this particular problem. It just seems to crop up every now and then, there is another thread, but it doesn't relate to MGE except perhaps the second to last post,

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=315211

However a fix has not been found. I've never played it on XP SP3, so I don't know if it's something specific to that or you're just unlucky. I'm pretty sure The Indeo video drivers would not help, as they relate to the ingame videos. Are you playing a scenario or a basic game?

4. klassic

klassic Chieftain

Well I just found the updated Indeo drivers and as suspected the problem still exists. I downloaded a keyboard testing program that insures all keys are working and reports stuck keys. No stuck keys were found in XP or in the 98 virtual machine. But when I open notepad in 98 it still types an = once every second.

One suggestion on a tech site was to get a usb keyboard and disable the onboard keyboard on the laptop. I guess that will be my next step.

5. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Chieftain

That's sounds like a good idea, laptop keyboards have keys that sometimes double for other functions.

6. klassic

klassic Chieftain

Sorry resurrect this old thread, but I have finally fixed the issue and wanted to post the fix in case anyone else had this problem in the future. I had given up on trying to get civ to work. I tried everything I could find at the time to fix the = key problem. It didn't seem to block any other program. Recently I installed a new program that the = key was affecting. After a new search online I came across a new thread with people having this problem. Specifically with Dell laptops, which I am using. The problem was with an Ispireon 1501 which is very similar to the Vostro 1000 I am using.

So to fix the problem you have to go to Dell's website and download the BIOS update. After the update is complete you need to shut down your computer. Unplug the power cord from the computer and the wall. Remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds, 3 times. This will discharge any static electricity. Hook everything back up and start up the computer. The quasi stuck = key should be fixed. And you can play civ 2 again.

7. damascus@ap.net

damascus@ap.net Chieftain

there's a menu selection that I never used or noticed, "arrange windows", that made my city screens come to top where I could see them. too easy!

I have Civ2 MGE and I just installed it for the first time on my wife's laptop. It is running Windows XP Home SP3. I last played MGE on my computer (Win XP Pro SP2 with no problems. However that computer is out of commission right now.). Install worked fine. I started a new game and when ever I go to the city window the message box pops up that I need to close the city window before continuing. I have clicked no where outside the window, and press no additional keys. If I click close and am fast enough I can change the production from phalanx to settler etc. But I am not fast enough to change the farming areas. If I click Close City Window I can continue playing the game fine until I have to view a city again. The window pops up about 1-2 seconds after I close it.

8. logansackett

logansackett Chieftain

I couldn't get into the city screens by double-clicking and tried that command and it worked. Thanks!