1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing ranks: The onset of a clash of civilizations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aelf, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

As long as one was a Christian European, at least ;)

2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

In fairness, the Quakers who ran Pennsylvania were pretty enlightened in their dealing with the Indians, in many ways more so than the American government today.

But then somebody invited a load of Scots-Irish into the colony, and it all went downhill from there.

3. aelf

aelf Ashen One

That's not what I said at all. I said:
    I'm not sure why you seem to be suggesting that Wahhabist interpretations are dominant. There are moderate interpretations of Islam that are mainstream, and it's really preferable to support those and offer criticism of extremist or fundamentalist interpretations as opposed to heaping criticism on the Quran itself, the latter which is a common approach among non-Muslims who think Islam needs to be reformed.

4. Honor

Honor Immortal

I thought you were suggesting moderate non-Muslims should get behind moderate Muslims and criticise interpretations. I was suggesting in return that non-Muslims should stay out of it entirely.

I am not suggesting Wahhabism is dominant - but it is what is of concern to the World right now. I was trying to tell you how the people would feel about criticising interpretations they adhere to in general when Sunni Islam is of concern. Moderate Muslims already do criticise extremism - I am more interested in how fundamentalists take this criticism. It usually doesn't matter what the people say or think unless the clergy openly support it.

5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Probably something along the lines of:"Unbelievers! Death to the infidels!"

6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I think it has begun:

Link

And there's a genocide going on in Myanmar along religious lines that even human rights hero Aung San Suu Kyi is more or less supportive of.

Violence against Islam will become increasingly normalised, and so will violence by Muslims. More countries may go rogue and decide it's okay to commit genocide.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. OldBoomer

OldBoomer Warlord

If only there was some way that this all could have been prevented... A better refugee resettlement program comes to mind along with more comprehensive vetting, but that's just the crazy Nazi part of my brain talking. I was one of the good ones who didn't become a part of the problem by preventing millions of Muslims from coming into Western countries with no vetting. Europeans and Muslims have a millennia long history of getting along, so I don't have the slightest clue as to why this is all starting to go so horribly wrong.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. aelf

aelf Ashen One

One word: Terrorism.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the terrorists are looking for a clash of civilizations and the fascists/neo-Nazis are happy to oblige. Meanwhile, the Left gets blamed.

9. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Sarcasm, I presume? It seems obvious, but you never know

10. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

No, that definitely wasn't sarcasm.

11. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Surely, there is no-one who seriously believes that? If anything, European-Islamic relations are nothing but war and conflict?

12. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Ooooh, look at me, I'm being sarcastic, I'm saying words that are not what I mean, aren't I witty.

13. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

OldBoomer likes this.
  14. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Relations between European Nations and Nations dominated by Islam could be so much better if they accepted the superiority of European values and gave up their sinful lifestyles.

15. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Thanks for hammering that point home. I have zero understanding of sarcasm, which is why it is extremely helpful.

All I'm saying is, sometimes it's difficult to say it the person making such comments is being sarcastic, or if they're just making such claims because they're uneducated about the subject matter. I run across plenty of both.

16. Ryika

Your trivia knowledge about COCOT is severely lacking if you needed a confirmation on whether OldBoomer was being sarcastic in that post..

17. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Look, I know it must seem silly, but every now and then I actually run across people who genuinely believe such things (not everybody is interested in history). I don't post here enough to know what individual posters think about certain issues, which is why I asked.

18. Ryika

Oh, I'm not making fun of you, it's understandable that you don't know the positions of everybody around here. But it's still funny because it's OldBoomer who made that statement. :D

19. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

I don't recall anyone ever suggesting coherent and practical resettlement plans, just shouting to build walls and ship them home. Or was that part of your sarcasm too?

20. OldBoomer

OldBoomer Warlord

Absolutely the left is completely blameless. Without a thought! In no way whatsoever could you compare what the left did to opening up a sheeps' pen and allowing packs of wolves, who are without a doubt going to kill those sheep, to run inside. That would just be crazy and besides we all know there's nothing Nazis love more than bringing millions of Semite foreigners into their lands. In fact the fascists/neo-Nazis were happy to oblige!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017