Clown Car III: Who's Laughing Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to wiki you can see that the number has gone down recently and Trump hasn't done it yet at all

Attachments

• veto.pdf
    198.1 KB · Views: 122
Both need the votes to override a veto - and then you have to vote to override the veto. It's not automatic.

However I feel that we've long ago actually stopped forcing veto showdowns. What I mean is that I do not think our Congress has actually sent bills to be formally vetoed lately - a president just says he'll veto and Congress backs down. They should stop doing that and do their freaking job and force the President to veto things if he is going to threaten to do it. There have been a ton of small erosions of the duties of Congress like this over the years and it needs to stop. They should not just automatically cave to the bluster of the President - any President.

I could be wrong, maybe there's been a lot of vetoes but I am not aware of many in the last 2-4 years.

Not since Obama when the republicans would send ACA repeal every week. It will all get blocked in the senate since they can still block it there before the Pres has to bite that political bullet. Those bullets hardly matter anymore though, Obama didn't suffer vetoing ACA repeals and Trump wouldn't suffer vetoing government spending bills without wall funding. This is the country we live in at the moment.

Moderator Action: The new thread is here. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom