1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clown Car III: Who's Laughing Now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broken_Erika, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I think that last part is a false choice, and the continued insistence that its all one thing or all the other is going to encourage more states into doing things like what New York just did.

As for the first part. As a general thing... any SCOTUS decision opens a can of worms, so that in-and-of-itself isn't really an issue. Anyway, I'm not talking necessarily about overturning... again we disagree on interpretation, but I don't want to get into it yet. Let me go back and find what you said that I've been meaning to ask you about. IIRC, it was a flip-flop'ey kind of thing similar to the self-determination-in-elections thing I pointed out to you before... just on a different subject. We can come back to Presser later if you want. I know you wont forget ;)

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Nothing Trump did or did not do is responsible for what New York did. A rationalization is a rationalization just as an individual right for two and a half centuries is an individual right for two and a half centuries. Minus the rationalizations, of course. The mood in some circles is for control, not rights. As it always is. Gotta admit, the spin skills are more solid than they used to be, though that's probably illusion born of ubiquity.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

As a side commentary on what New York just did, I learned something interesting about the idea of confiscating guns from people who appear unstable. You know, the thing that when it got suggested after Parkland sent the barrel strokers apoplectic. The one where a cop or a relative takes out a thing sort of like a restraining order and the person has to turn over their guns until they get sorted out, which of course the NRA immediately decried as totally unacceptable to even consider since it would immediately turn society and the rule of law completely upside down and lead to cats lying with dogs and plowshares being beaten into swords.

Yeah, multiple states already have laws like that on the books, and have had them for significant periods of time. The police in Seattle say they have acted on a couple dozen ERPOs (Extreme Risk Protection Orders) and have had no serious confrontations. A couple of people refused to comply voluntarily, leading to issuing of search warrants that were peacefully executed. A few people have thanked them because they recognized that they were going through stuff that did make them a danger to themselves. No surge in the puptin birth rate from all those dogs and cats, no shortage of plowshares, no particular bad consequences whatever.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

*raises hand* What did New York just do? The news is more or less a flood so I'm not sure what you lot are talking about.

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Expanded their class of people prohibited from owning firearms to include those convicted of a list of misdemeanors associated with domestic crime and including long guns in addition to handguns.

6. Timsup2nothin

There was a link, but the short version is that they passed a law that any domestic violence conviction makes firearm ownership off limits. I don't know details like whether that's absolutely permanent or what, but that's the gist.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Wasn't the NRA's creed that (bad) people with guns kill people?

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

NRA Bylaws Article II
    The purposes and objectives of the National Rifle Association of America are:
    1. To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms, in order that the people may always be in a position to exercise their legitimate individual rights of self-preservation and defense of family, person, and property, as well as to serve effectively in the appropriate militia for the common defense of the Republic and the individual liberty of its citizens;
    2. To promote public safety, law and order, and the national defense;
    3. To train members of law enforcement agencies, the armed forces, the militia, and people of good repute in marksmanship and in the safe handling and efficient use of small arms;
    4. To foster and promote the shooting sports, including the advancement of amateur competitions in marksmanship at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels;
    5. To promote hunter safety, and to promote and defend hunting as a shooting sport and as a viable and necessary method of fostering the propagation, growth and conservation, and wise use of our renewable wildlife resources.
    The Association may take all actions necessary and proper in the furtherance of these purposes and objectives.

----

You'll have to dither about "legitimate" and "people of good repute."

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

6. To make as much money for ourselves as possible by expediting the murder of as many Americans as possible.

Lexicus likes this.
  10. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

But on the point in question, the key word is the fourth "the" in the first article. They undertake to train "people of good repute," but the are out to protect the right of "the individual"--no questions asked about that individual's "repute."

So there, there's my dithering.

11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

I'm thinking "the individual American citizen" isn't really choppable-up. It's a decentralized way of saying "the people." The order, in order, of the rights is the excercise them legitimately. Bastardy to be punished.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

The bolded segments point at their obviously want to force their way into/merge with/become the state.

The fifth item, hunting animals for animals' sake… no, just no. It almost made my brain implode.

13. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator

Moderator Action: Gun and gun control arguments now belong here. Further derailing of threads with gun control arguments will be heavily moderated

14. Timsup2nothin

Every time there is one of these 'Trump and foreign leaders' joint press conferences I wait for a reporter to ask the foreign leader "From your expression it is hard to tell, so when President Trump is speaking are you horrified, embarrassed to be standing next to him, or just desperately choking down laughter?"

15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

In guess horrified in his last press conference on Tuesday.

Trump said about Syria during a press conference with leaders of the Baltic countries Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania:
    Must have been really comfortable to hear for these three countries, so close to Russia, that Trump is gearing up his basic military foreign affairs doctrine: isolationism mixed with some military and trade shouting.
    And if he says on Syria:
    He is, I think, saying at that moment the same to the EU regarding these Baltic countries and Russia.

And TBH I think that this is in line with the opinion of the majority of the US citizens.

EDIT
    and on a side note: If the US pulls out ahead of the November elections, it will I guess, strenghten the position of the Republicans
    The Korea issue another opportunity to present himself as a winner, fulfilling basic promises of his election and republican sentiments.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

They aren't pulling out. Trump is a liar and he's only saying that because he wants military families to like him. He's perfectly happy making war all over the place. Just ask his incoming NSA.

17. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

President Donald Trump claimed that “no one” has been tougher on Russia “than Donald Trump” during a meeting with Baltic leaders at the White House.

“Ideally we want to get along with Russia. Getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. Maybe we will maybe we won’t,” Trump told reporters.

“Now maybe we will and maybe we won’t. Probably nobody’s been tougher on Russia than Donald Trump,” he added. “If you take a look at our military strength now, which probably wouldn’t have happened if the opponent had won … We’re now exporting oil and gas. This is not something that Russia wanted.”

Trump said that “just about everyone agrees” that getting along with Russia is good “except very stupid people.”

https://latest.com/2018/04/watch-trump-declares-no-one-has-been-tougher-on-russia-than-donald-trump/

Trump: “Probably nobody’s been tougher to Russia than Donald Trump.” pic.twitter.com/utjBxaMg5K

— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) April 3, 2018

Asked if Russian President Vladimir Putin is a “friend or a foe,” Trump replied. “We’ll find out.”

“I’ll let you know. There will be a time when I’ll let you know. You’re going to find out very quickly,” he added.

President Trump on whether Russian President Vladimir Putin is a friend or a foe: “We’ll find out. I’ll let you know. I mean, it'll be a time when I’ll let you know. You’re going to find out very quickly. We'll see what happens.” https://t.co/cddfDIRPrS pic.twitter.com/5P6H3w9TFn

— CNN (@CNN) April 3, 2018

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

He answers questions/addresses issues this way because he simply has no clue what the actual answer is. He needs to go ask somebody the answer before he can respond to anything, because he knows next to nothing about what he is talking about.

19. Timsup2nothin

As he so often does, he promoted the idea of using the US military as a mercenary force available to the highest bidder, so long as the income can be supplemented by the US claiming 'spoils of war' through pillaging the enemy.

20. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

I hope nobody here was planning on retiring this year, because joke's on you if you were!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.