Clown Car IV: The Dotard and Dunce Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always hated that extra layering that was done. But then I'm biased because I work for a market research company and it really complicates analysis because you always have to deal with it and explain it.

Pretty much. Though the GOP will claim that the tax increase applies to everyone, like they do with every attempt make the rich pay their fair share.

But I swear that woman gives me so much hope for the bleak future and inspires me to live. Funny thing, the right wingers are so obsessed with smearing her that they accidentally make her look more relatable.

Like this whole drama about her dancing https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/ocasio-cortez-dancing-video-trnd/index.html Some right-wing anon account on twitter posted it in hopes to smear her name, but the reaction was overwhelmingly positive to the point the guy deleted his twitter altogether lmao The right is so scared of a young articulate woman of color who doesn't give a crap about them it's not even funny.

Why did income tax suddenly jump from 7% to 15% to 67% in just two years (1914 to 1916)? Was it because of the need to finance USian involvement in the Great War?

I made this exact point to my older brother today. Furthermore upon realizing the reality of this statement in my early twenties I started a long slide to the left.

And when did you crisscross and cha-cha? :p

Like this whole drama about her dancing https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/ocasio-cortez-dancing-video-trnd/index.html Some right-wing anon account on twitter posted it in hopes to smear her name, but the reaction was overwhelmingly positive to the point the guy deleted his twitter altogether lmao The right is so scared of a young articulate woman of color who doesn't give a crap about them it's not even funny.
I'm just wondering what miserable cretin thought "Aha! We found a video of her being all cool and happy and dancing in college! That'll ruin her career!"

Ocasio-Cortez suggests 70% tax for wealthy to fund climate change plan.

70% is kinda low, tho. According to https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/historical-highest-marginal-income-tax-rates, the most prosperous times in American history coincide with 90% taxes for the ultra rich.

This is an oft repeated claim but it's not really true. Nominally, marginal taxes were that high for high-income earners, but in reality the effective tax rate was more like 40% (not much higher than it is now). So no, the economy was not really more prosperous due to the 90% marginal tax rates on the wealthy but a complicated interplay of thousands of factors.

Spoiler :

https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-rich-1950-not-high/

This is an oft repeated claim but it's not really true. Nominally, marginal taxes were that high for high-income earners, but in reality the effective tax rate was more like 40% (not much higher than it is now). So no, the economy was not really more prosperous due to the 90% marginal tax rates on the wealthy but a complicated interplay of thousands of factors.

Spoiler :

https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-rich-1950-not-high/

This isn't accurate either because that 90% tax rate was on income earned over and above some amount below that it was 70% and then 40% and so on. . .So it is believable that the total was around 42% or so, my problem with this graph is the 36% it claims is paid out now. Anecdotally this is not the case, plus it obviously isn't including all the investment capitalists who are only paying capital gains taxes. We need higher taxes, we needed them since 2001 when we decided to go to war.

Basically you are falling for an old bait and switch by an anti tax group. You are being lied to in no uncertain terms.

I'm not being lied to, the data is real (and isn't even from the tax foundation) and they didn't pay 90%. The claim was that a 90% marginal tax rate made the country prosperous. If they didn't actually pay 90%, then something's off with the thought process there.

But I swear that woman gives me so much hope for the bleak future and inspires me to live. Funny thing, the right wingers are so obsessed with smearing her that they accidentally make her look more relatable.

Indeed, cortez is cool :) i hope she becomes potus in the future.

I'm not being lied to, the data is real (and isn't even from the tax foundation) and they didn't pay 90%. The claim was that a 90% marginal tax rate made the country prosperous. If they didn't actually pay 90%, then something's off with the thought process there.

90% top marginal rate. . .that means all income over say 850k is at 90%. You are confusing marginal and effective and treating them the same? Why?

Goodfella is making the claim that the effective rate is so much lower because the rich could use properties/real estate or other loopholes to shelter their tax dollars.

Goodfella is making the claim that the effective rate is so much lower because the rich could use properties/real estate or other loopholes to shelter their tax dollars.

Yea and they still do that which is why I'm dubious of his chart's effective rate of 36% these days ( I belive the tax foundation is intentionally lying here(I refuse to use the term mislead)). he seems to be trying to make the point that the 90% rate on income over a certain income wasn't a reality? or is he just clarifying the reality that with progressive rates the effective rate isn't a whole lot higher? My point with his chart is that the effective rate is a lot lower then indicated in his chart right now just like it was back then. We can debate the merits of certain loopholes and such for subsidizing certain activities, but we have to be honest about what we are talking about first.

• Federal income taxes: A table produced by the Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center offers data on the "effective tax rate" -- that is, how much a filer paid in income tax divided by their income -- for various income ranges. More than a third of those earning $200,000 and up had an effective tax rate between 15 percent and 20 percent. Just under one-third had an effective rate between 20 and 25 percent. So, if you’re earning $250,000, this means you’re pretty typical if you’re paying between $37,500 and $62,500 in federal income taxes.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...doocy-says-someone-earning-250000-pays-half-/

Effectively someone in the top bracket is paying the same percentage as most in the next two brackets below them. . .

I'm just wondering what miserable cretin thought "Aha! We found a video of her being all cool and happy and dancing in college! That'll ruin her career!"
Maybe some kind of incel? I visit some other gaming forums, and it's not uncommon to see people resent successful people having a life as "some normie crap". When the right is obsessed with DEBATES by Jordan Peterson and FACTS of LOGIC by Ben Shapiro, it's not surprising that someone who is funny and relatable is breaking the norm to them.

I also feel like these right-wingers are also just horny and secretly want to bang her, so they are projecting their sexual desire and frustration onto her instead of seeking a therapist to sort their own issues. Some right-wing commentators criticized her clothing and called her a liar for saying that she is not rich (I guess you have to show to DC is tattered rags to not be considered filthy rich?), and others are obsessing that she went to a good university, which basically proves she is a corporate shill who is secretly taking money from Soros, globalists, and other Jews... all the while people like Charlie Kirk literally collect money from corporate donors to spread conservative propaganda.

Either these people understand very well their own hypocrisy and just treat it as a job where they make money, or they are in some 69D chess level of self-delusion.

Moderator Action: I realize that you were generalizing with the redacted term, but please do not evade the autocensor. --LM
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom