Clown Car IV: The Dotard and Dunce Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not just about Christianity; there are other things such as:

* Being a republic with a senate.
* Having the best kick arse military.

And also being ridiculously downgraded alterations of their prototype:

"The USA is a misunderstanding and corruption of Europe*, much like Rome was of Greece"
Fernando Pessoa

"America is the only country which went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between"
Oscar Wilde

*iirc Pessoa says "Europe", not "England".

Last edited:
It's incomprehensible, he contradicts himself every few sentences and he has no clear message. Instead he clearly makes associations as he goes along. Speaking before thinking, so to say. You are intelligent, don't tell me those quoted paragraphs above make sense to you. Not single sentences, the whole speech.

I'm not defending the entire speech, just the comment about the ties between Italy and the USA

he forgot the Mafia

I'm not defending the entire speech, just the comment about the ties between Italy and the USA

he forgot the Mafia
Not Roman. That's what Trump has in common with modern Italy, i.e. the only thing they can organize is crime.

Slaves.
Downfall due to crumbling infra-structure.
Over-extended empires.
Uncooperative Germans.

Pretence of government for the people when it was (and is) of the oligarchy, by the oligarchy, for the oligarchy.
You talkin' to me?

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake, that was Trump and de Niro.

Quick Tell Barr that there is a huge corruption scandal that he needs to investigate /s
I love how Republicans want to investigate Biden while Trump openly enriches himself.

Trump Will Host Next G7 Summit at His Doral Resort
“It’s almost like they built this facility to host this type of event,” the acting White House chief of staff said, dismissing questions over the propriety of the president’s picking his own hotel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/us/politics/trump-g-7-at-his-doral-resort.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

So, the Turkey-Kurdish ceasefire.
There is a five day ceasefire for the Kurds to withdraw before Turkey sends its troops into the exact same 20 mile border zone it was originally going to occupy.
Isn't this literally giving Turkey exactly what they wanted?

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/17/20919566/turkey-syria-us-ceasefire-erdogan-pence-kurds

It reminds me of Suez when Israel invaded Egypt, and the UK and France, pretending to be honest brokers, proposed a ceasefire that would have allowed the Israelis to advance further and force Egyptian forces to withdraw.

Quick Tell Barr that there is a huge corruption scandal that he needs to investigate /s
I love how Republicans want to investigate Biden while Trump openly enriches himself.
Mulvaney said during his press conference that the advanced teams claimed the Doral was the 'absolute best' location to have the G7.

I listened to an NPR interview last week with a guy who's been cataloguing Trump's shady business deals since taking office and he actually talked about the Doral. Trump tried to host the G7 there in the past and all of the other member nations refused to allow it as it is a completely insecure location that cannot be secured to any reasonable level due to its location and layout. It's also too small by far for the various breakout conferences and official entourages that go to these summits.

In other words, Mulvaney was lying his ass off to give cover to his corrupt AF boss, but we knew that already.

I listened to an NPR interview last week with a guy who's been cataloguing Trump's shady business deals since taking office and he actually talked about the Doral. Trump tried to host the G7 there in the past and all of the other member nations refused to allow it as it is a completely insecure location that cannot be secured to any reasonable level due to its location and layout. It's also too small by far for the various breakout conferences and official entourages that go to these summits.

Wait, so what's changed? Why is the rest of the G7 now apparently playing ball?

Mulvaney said during his press conference that the advanced teams claimed the Doral was the 'absolute best' location to have the G7.

In other words, Mulvaney was lying his ass off to give cover to his corrupt AF boss, but we knew that already.

They should do us all a favor and refuse to show up at all this time citing this and the lack of climate discussions as reasons to be unable to take the US role in the G7 seriously.

Wait, so what's changed? Why is the rest of the G7 now apparently playing ball?
For all I know, he just announced it without the blessing of the other participants. There may also be ongoing discussions going on in the background that aren't resolved and he's forcing the issue. That or he might have threatened to cancel it altogether if he doesn't get his way.
They should do us all a favor and refuse to show up at all this time citing this and the lack of climate discussions as reasons to be unable to take the US role in the G7 seriously.
I'm with you. Last night the Turkish ambassador to the US was interviewed on PBS and they asked him about the letter that Trump sent and he straight up said it poorly written without any diplomatic decorum or protocol and was rejected as such. I think more world leaders need to do this, and just refuse to deal with Trump. Although this will hurt the US in the long run, I don't see a better alternative than people continuing to cater to the manchild in chief.

Ok found the transcript of the podcast. I guess I misremembered, it doesn't seem like the other countries refused the location because he hadn't begun pushing it until recently. But the guy who was interviewed has the following to say about it:

GROSS: And then, of course, there's the suggestion President Trump made that the next G-7 be held at his Doral golf resort in Florida. And just the suggestion with his description, his very florid description of how great the Doral is, sounded like an infomercial. What would it mean if the G-7 was held there in terms of ethics?

FAHRENTHOLD: It would mean that the basic promise that Trump made when he took office, which was, look, nobody can stop me from mixing my business and my presidency, but I will stop myself, you can count on me to keep business and presidency separate - that basic promise would have just collapsed. Trump would have walked away from it. This is - this would be the president of the United States using American power to basically book a convention for his golf resort, basically using the prestige and the alliances that America has to fill some hotel rooms at his own building and put some money in his own pocket. It would be an unprecedented step, obviously, but also a signal that Trump doesn't intend to follow the even pretty meager guidelines that he set for himself at the start of his administration.

GROSS: And in addition to the ethical questions, security experts think the Doral would be a bad location.

FAHRENTHOLD: Yeah. If you think about the G-7, it is in an - you know, it brings seven world leaders, plus usually a few others who come to visit. It's a huge security nightmare. And so people have tended to do it in very luxurious but isolated places, places where you can put these world leaders somewhere, seal them off and make sure that they don't - you know, that the world isn't - the outside world doesn't come anywhere near them. The last time the U.S. did it at a private compound was in 2004 at Sea Island in Georgia - a literal island that they seal off and they put Navy ships around the island. It was like a - you know, it was a bubble.

And Doral - you can't do that. Doral is located in - it's pretty far inland in Miami. It's close to the Miami airport. The surroundings are shopping malls, office parks, neighborhoods. It's not in any way isolatable in the way that an island or a peninsula would be. So it would be a security nightmare. I think the bigger nightmare might be that it's just not - maybe not nice enough. These places are - these G-7 conferences are held at very fancy places. Every national party gets their own fancy hotel. And so to sort of divide them among the wings that are usually used for visiting golfers, that might not have the same kind of luxurious standards that they're used to.

So yeah, it's a security nightmare, in a bad location and not nice enough. I hope the rest of the world leaders push back against this. The rest of the interview did a deep dive into Trump's many efforts to enrich himself and is worth a listening.
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/05/7578...tels-reporter-says-trump-profits-as-president

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom