1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clown Car V: 2020 version!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Gorsuch is very letter of the law. He sided with the Native Americans who had some agreement from the 19th century. Some corporation was trying to screw them.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Actually, like so many massively controversial supreme court decisions, Citizens United filled a gap in the law...which of course is not supposed to be the supreme court's job. Truth is, there were no applicable laws to be ignored, because congress refused to do their job and enact some. The specific case under consideration at the time involved a conservative PAC so the five conservative justices legislated from the bench to resolve the case their way, where if the case had been exactly the same except for the plaintiff being a progressive PAC calling for action on climate change the decision would have gone exactly the opposite way.

3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

To counter-balance that is why you need left-leaning people, or the one true moderate that you would get through my method.

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Just remember he has the button for the ICBMs and there is nowhere on Earth you can hide

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

6. r16

r16 not deity

don't be fools to put ideas into people's head is the first thing to say , to everyone , this way you won't be feeling guilty when it happens . To those on the British Isles , uh , Trump is your benefactor and Mafia Don , you pull twice as much without the effort and the sole reason Boris Johnson is in power , because they look like brothers , when Monerarchy is coming and their descendants will rule the world or whatever . And the most horrible thing about this post is half of it is like true and people are dying or something .

and third , third is Beach by Nevil Shute is so horrible , taught me that Albania should never acquire Tu-16 bombers !

edit : Curse that damned tablet , ı meant to say Moneyarchy .

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

If he presses the big red button, I doubt that Congress, SCOTUS, NATO or anyone else will have had any say in the matter.

8. r16

r16 not deity

living in a place that makes one do so , allow me doubts about those institutions would be like totally effective . And segments on the radio keep insisting that Boris Johnson was given extraordinary powers ?

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah. First dibs on a ventilator. Very extraordinary powers.

AmazonQueen and Samson like this.
  10. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Is it a literal button that actually does something or does the president just issue a launch order to somebody in missile silo who can ignore it ?

11. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

This is the day he'll truly become president:

Kaitzilla and Samson like this.
  12. r16

r16 not deity

gotta understand Boris Johnson is a favourite subject . Party loves him for breaking Europe so that they too can give all the silly talk about Western Values , which invariably ends up some discussion of how the Goverment can not do this or that ... So he then automatically becomes the target for some fringe Leftist talking . And a first for ventilator can not be that bad . What if UK had just one ?

13. Samson

Samson Deity

Then it would have been kept in reserve for the queen.

Kaitzilla and Old Hippy like this.
  14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

@Timsup2nothin would probably know more than me, but I'm guessing it "merely" sends a launch order to silo operatives who need to actually do the dirty deed themselves.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I think that land based missile launch systems require an authorization code to activate them before the local operators can launch them, which I think is what the "football" (a portable device used to send those authorization codes that is supposed to always accompany the president) is for. That understanding is based on the widespread uproar whenever the fact that sea launched missiles have no such safeguard and can be launched by any angry submarine crew at any time comes up in public.

16. Samson

Samson Deity

In the UK the main thing about nuke subs orders that comes up is that one of the first jobs of a new prime minister is to write orders for the captains about what to do in the event of loss of contact with the UK. When these are delivered to them, the old ones are burnt without being read. No-one knows what they say.

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I can't even hazard a guess. Back in the cold war it would have been obvious what loss of contact meant to a US sub and that would have put paid to the USSR...but I have no idea who the captain of a UK sub would be expected to annihilate. France maybe? You guys holding a grudge against Argentina?

Kaitzilla and Samson like this.
  18. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I heard once that the U.K. has precisely enough nukes to trash the eastern half of the United States where most of the population lives. :hmm:

A subtle people.

IglooDude likes this.
  19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, that's another possibility I guess. Been a couple hundred years, but that's a pretty big grudge to get over.

They have four boats with sixteen Trident twos each. Any one of those boats could handily exterminate the US from pretty much anywhere in the Atlantic by itself. I'd guess they have at least two at sea at any given time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  20. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Iceland obviously, gotta keep the deterrent in case of another cod war!