Clown Car V: 2020 version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The math is even more complicated than that. The lockdowns are making a social animal asocial. Over time, this has serious mental health effects that could in fact cause deaths.
Calls to mental health hotlines are spiking.
Domestic abuse is spiking,

Yeah dude people are financially stressed, could maybe have something to do with States not being able to provide unemployment insurance payouts, unable to purchase healthcare, having family members of community member dying.
Because you know having several Million dead is much MUCH more better mentally then being locked inside for a few weeks /s

Customers won't come. Bosses cannot yet force people to consume.

3 days ago I might have been on your side on this issue, but the loosening of the lockdown in France is proving that not only will consumers come, but they will tear appart any health measure that's slightly inconvenient for them even if it might mean risking other people's lives. Retail workers are currently living through hell here, and the probability of it being any better in the US is exactly 0%.

And we must take notice of what happened in SK. They were down to almost no new reported cases but when they reopened night clubs they had a quick spike of 100 new cases. I don't think there's a save way to open without this type of result being duplicated. There's a concern of a new uptick in Wuhan after days of no new reported cases. In Illinois, as testing increases they're seeing record number of new cases (no surprise) It seems new cases each day is about 15% of people tested. With wider reach of testing it's not just people that have symptoms so it's getting more representative of the population. So why a stay at home can slow it, it's unlikely that it will stop it. The pooch has already been screwed. There is now way the population is going to take a lock down as long as it will take for a tested vaccine. The best that can be done is to reopen slowly in the hopes of not overwhelming medical facilities.

Who cares really?... It looks badass which is all that matters... because its all "security theater" anyway. The reality is that our government completely botched the handling of the pandemic, from preparation to execution at virtually every stage, and as a direct result the virus spread is out-of-control... so what the country really needs is a top-to-bottom, nationwide quarantine. But of course that would be politically damaging to everyone in office and economically damaging to too many businesses...

So badass bandit scarves and other assorted feel-good, placebo, security theater measures it is.

Well, I guess I care some about the efficacy of what I'm wearing. I read things from some people that seem not dumb and they tend to indicate widespread mask usage is good because it protects around the wearer instead of the wearer.

As I understand it...the N95 medical masks work. The more basic medical mask is not nearly as good but its much better than nothing, construction masks aren't even as good as that but again, better than nothing. Bandanas around the face are more psychological than anything else. But TBH if they make you and those around you feel better, that has value in and of itself. Every little bit helps nowadays.

I really worry about the folks who live alone and are working from home, or worse, live alone and are laid off... :sad: I get to be with my family pretty much all day everyday. I can really see now the appeal of working from home. I didn't get it before, it just seemed so strange to me.

I'll acquire a crappy mask mask then.

I don't think we've got a handle on this thing at all or will in the near term. Zelig is not wrong when he starts to consider the corpse count of a global depression. I wonder if all we are really doing is pulling off an incredibly bad bandaid slowly to spread out the pain. Nobody in my household is isolated, everyone is high risk. The kid is great, but I am not enough socialization, especially inefficiently trying to work two different things, be a crappy homemaker, and a crappy teacher.

And yet, horrifyingly, the news is showing happy stories as a measure of the amount of pain out there. Which means it's time to be thankful while one can? Trying, not finding it simple.

As I understand it...the N95 medical masks work. The more basic medical mask is not nearly as good but its much better than nothing, construction masks aren't even as good as that but again, better than nothing. Bandanas around the face are more psychological than anything else. But TBH if they make you and those around you feel better, that has value in and of itself. Every little bit helps nowadays.

The "bandanas around the face" are actually helpful but what they can do is protect other people from your germs, if you happen to be an asymptomatic case. They will not prevent you, the wearer, from inhaling droplets containing the virus.

I wonder if all we are really doing is pulling off an incredibly bad bandaid slowly to spread out the pain.
But here's why we can't but do that: if we overwhelm the medical system we're going to add, to the present misery, 1) potentially preventable deaths and 2) depletion of the medical ranks.

Right, flattening the curve sounds less futile.

3 days ago I might have been on your side on this issue, but the loosening of the lockdown in France is proving that not only will consumers come, but they will tear appart any health measure that's slightly inconvenient for them even if it might mean risking other people's lives. Retail workers are currently living through hell here, and the probability of it being any better in the US is exactly 0%.
There is a marginal difference. France's economic response and in place safety net is better. The virus may not prevent consumerism in the US but the economic anxiety might.

Meh...

Florida Opens Some Beaches on dayof biggest Coronavirus Increase
Florida Beaches Packed Within a Half Hour of Reopening

Folks seem pretty willing to venture out to things, the instant that they are open.

And that doesn't even look like a nice day for the beach! I can't feel optimistic seeing this...

How are restaurants there?

I had about a dozen N95 masks but gave most of them to my local doc's office. The ones I had dont really protect others enough, they're for construction and have built in valves to allow exhaling easier. I suppose they'd catch some spray from the wearer but they're not as good as a mask without any valves.

Everything is a virus thread!

Everything is about the virus these days. I think there's going to be a market for virus escapism: environments you can enter in RL or online where there's no discussion of the virus.

Of course, one can do this at home by reading a book. I've started scheduling escape-from-covid activities. TV off. Computer off. Good book.

Everything is about the virus these days. I think there's going to be a market for virus escapism: environments you can enter in RL or online where there's no discussion of the virus.

Of course, one can do this at home by reading a book. I've started scheduling escape-from-covid activities. TV off. Computer off. Good book.
One might even say that discussions about the virus are spreading through the forum like... a virus :ack:

You get a virus, and you get a virus, and you get a virus, everybody gets a virus!

You get a virus, and you get a virus, and you get a virus, everybody gets a virus!

Here is the blow-by-blow account for all the computer nerds.
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/763545811/how-the-u-s-hacked-isis
How The U.S. Hacked ISIS

The crowded room was awaiting one word: "Fire."

Everyone was in uniform; there were scheduled briefings, last-minute discussions, final rehearsals.
"They wanted to look me in the eye and say, 'Are you sure this is going to work?' " an operator named Neil said.
"Every time, I had to say yes, no matter what I thought."
He was nervous, but confident.
U.S. Cyber Command and the National Security Agency had never worked together on something this big before.

Four teams sat at workstations set up like high school carrels.
Sergeants sat before keyboards; intelligence analysts on one side, linguists and support staff on another.
Each station was armed with four flat-screen computer monitors on adjustable arms and a pile of target lists and IP addresses and online aliases.
They were cyberwarriors, and they all sat in the kind of oversize office chairs Internet gamers settle into before a long night.
Carrel - a small cubicle with a desk for the use of a reader or student in a library

"Fire", really?
I expected more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom