1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clown Car V: 2020 version!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Jan 6, 2020.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, his recent comment that if there is another upsurge that we won't shut down the country again is consistent with that thinking.

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Especially since he didn't shut down jack squat. It was the governors of the individual states that issued the stay-home orders, closed the schools, beaches, bars, etc. All he did was keep calling everything a hoax the whole time and refusing to to shut the country down.

What he is really doing is hard-signaling to his Republican governors that they should under no circumstances re-institute stay home orders regardless of how bad any resurgence is, because it will damage him politically. The Democratic governors aren't going to listen to him obviously, but he isn't likely to win those states anyway. He desperately needs the red states to proceed as everything is back to normal, whether it actually is or not (its not).

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I really don't see how an upsurge of deaths in red states will help him. But then maybe he's counting on most of the deaths to be minorities.

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

That's a... what to call that argument. Pettifogging?

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I'm not pettifogging! You're pettifogging! :lol:

"Now who's pettifogging? Now I can't even see you... through your pettifog!" - Jon Stewart to Bill O'Reilley

TL;DR - The "pettifogging" accusations are at 4:12, 4:35, and 4:55.

Estebonrober and Berzerker like this.
  6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

:lol:

Ok then, I was worried it might be obnoxiously Lincolnian or something, but we'll stick with it.

7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That hasn't worked for Bolsonaro, so why does he think it'll work for him?

8. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

You do know that in Bolsonaro's own mind it is working, don't you?

Sommerswerd likes this.
  9. Arakhor

I didn't assume that he was flat-out delusional, no.

10. Takhisis

Given the amount of multidirectionally contradictory statements he's made since before taking the presidency it just cannot eb expected that he's not lying all the time. Whether he's lying to himself is a matter of probability rather than possibility.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Takhisis

The probability of dying from sports-related injuries decreases dramatically if you don't do sports.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

He fraudulently voted by mail. He registered his address as Mar-o-Lago, which he agreed with the city of Palm Springs would not be a residence. It is a registered business, and that alone makes it fraud as you can't vote from a business address, on top of the agreement not to use it as a residence with the city.

He took it off and literally said he didn't want the media to see him wear it. You can't make this stuff up.

14. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

But only because he's Trump. Any other president, who just mobilized the resources of the federal government to combat it, and talked realistically but reassuringly about it in press conferences, would see a huge surge in polling.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I was thinking about this the other day. Despite the botched response, he still could have moved to rally and unite the nation and likely would have had a surge in support. Instead he doubled down on hate and division and as a result he pretty much ensured that only his base will see anything he does in this crisis as positive.

Estebonrober likes this.
  16. Arakhor

So, when the inevitable second wave happens in red states, who's he going to blame then?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

The Democrats and the media of course. It's not like we haven't seen this before, so why expect anything different.

Sommerswerd, Birdjaguar and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

He'll vacillate between blaming Democrats and pretending there is not a second wave.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I think his game now is that there is nothing he can do about Covid-19, but let it run through.

I don't even think that he cares about what the Republican governors actually do.

What I think he is trying to do is to very cynically transfer the blame for the resultant recession to the Democrats
    ..because it is their fault, they closed business down, and that didn't stop Covid-19, so it was a waste of time..

Sommerswerd likes this.
  20. r16

r16 not deity

there is nothing like the New , everywhere . lt is always somebody else's fault and actually it solidifies the support base . 8 to 15% has been reported here as Biden's lead , but then ı wouldn't be surprised ...