1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clown Car VI: Hello, Goodbye. On to 2024.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AmazonQueen, Jan 16, 2021.

1. r16

r16 not deity

just about repetition . Most people will finally give up . Something scary must then happen to make them wake up , like losing quite a lot of money in some brilliant scheme by people they intensely believed in .

2. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56864649

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Just another day on Twitter with more Twitter drama:

4. r16

r16 not deity

no doubt he is a liberal undercover agent .

GenMarshall likes this.
  5. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Is this post supposed to be a defense of this moron? Why do you get caught up in all this garbage? Nothing important is going on with this story. I feel like half of your issue with modern pop culture is you are so focused on it. Leave it alone. Its all stupid. The reason right wing talk focuses on it so much is to drive outrage, stop lapping it up.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    The last time I checked on this thread’s title, it’s Clown Car VI where we post absurdity or what not. I just find it humorous that old Benny Boy here got an article on Forbes, over buying a damn piece of wood just to “pwn the libs”. Also a bit of a check for you: I don’t even like Ben Shapiro.

You know, instead of getting hot under the collar and complaining about it. You could have just pointed and laugh at old Benny Boy and moved on.

And this relates to the article, how? :huh:

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. r16

r16 not deity

let me widen my post here , even if unnecessary . We have seen some widely "respected" people to start supporting A-K-P when things start a downturn for New Turkey . Yesterday , as A-K-P did its best to avoid a National Day of the country but not of A-K-P , even if the situation forced them to be "active" , the town chief of the Main Opposition in lstanbul called today in terms of "Genocide" , April 24th , 1915 and so on . And a guy who practically brandishes "Nutuk" a book that covers some extra long speech by Atatürk as a priest would do with the Bible , has "turned" ...

8. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

The only thing that interested me in the article was your relation to it. Fair enough tho, your PoV on it was the opposite of what I thought. I might have crossed wires on the clown vs cancel culture threads lol.

El_Machinae likes this.
  9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

I only drink beers made from Bacon and wave Trump 2020 Flag

10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Let them eat cake

11. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

This story is America.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  12. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

This seems to sum up one of the contradictions of Western progressivism: they understand that corporations only adopt progressive standards for PR reasons, that it is all performative, but they still treat the failure to perform as suspicious.

In this case, they recognise that when Coca-Cola takes a stance on the Georgia legislation, this is a wholly cynical gesture: why would anybody care what Coca-Cola thinks about this law? But when Home Depot refuses to take a stance, this is a glaring omission: why won't Home Depot tell us what they think about this law?

It's like Grandpa Simpson's government handouts: "I didn't earn it, I don't need it, but if they miss one payment I'll raise hell!" What is desired is not in fact the progressive gesture, but the recognition that the gesture is expected; what these corporations are delivering is not a meaningful intervention on behalf of progressive policies, but a public recognition of the hegemony of progressive assumptions in the cultural sphere. Only when reassured of this undisputed cultural hegemony do progressives have the luxury of dismissing that assurance as a cynical gesture; only when we have it can we say that we do not need it.

(And sho on. *sniffs*, *tugs collar*.)

Lexicus likes this.
  13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

upload_2021-4-26_20-32-50.png

This type of gesture-revealed cultural hegemony is actually an antagonist to a meaningful one. However, the type which is systemic (such as in universities) seems to be (instead of a given) an eternal rebirth of a gesture, so also a series of instances instead of an actual system; this becomes perhaps more apparent if we suppose that many of those "gestures" in academia are produced in chunked mimesis of a vague model, rather than as reaction to new insight. The antithetic culture also produces analogous chunks, but perhaps in that case it is freer to do so, since when you already have a house you don't need new blueprints to sustain it.

(I compiled this message using r16's KurdishCommunist text-based AI)

Sofista likes this.
  14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

That's a really interesting take TF. I'm gonna have to chew on that one a while, but it sounds pretty insightful. Did you make that one up yourself or is there an article that you can point me to that discusses it more?

15. Kyriakos

Traitorfish came up with the notion of cultural hegemony, yes. Although at the time he had no beard, so is it really Traitorfish?

(ps, in italian: Fish=Sci, Traitor=Gram)

Sommerswerd likes this.
  16. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

He comes from Greece,
    He has a thirst for knowledge.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  17. Kyriakos

I don't want to live like common people.

Ziggy Stardust and Sommerswerd like this.
  18. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Bet you've never been to St. Martins college.

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Progressive....policies??? HUH??? Progressivism is all about individualized leverage of diverse interdisciplinary competencies to succeed multidimensionally in a fast-paced, flexible, and knowledge-based labor market. Tired, outdated, and old-fashioned paradigms like "public policy" and "collective action" only hurt the ability of modern entrepreneurs to innovate and uplift within this societal matrix.

Traitorfish and tjs282 like this.
  20. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I couldn't point you to a specific source, but I won't claim this is a wholly original insight. It's something that's emerged from reading and conversations around the current state of progressive politics.

There's been a lot of writing about "woke capitalism" and what benefit this is imagined to do for corporations, for brands, but it's always written with the assumption that the broader progressive or liberal public are just sort of naïve consumers, that they take this sort of thing at face value, which really isn't the case. (It would certainly be a sad comment on the state of left-leaning commentary if they spent a decade pointing this out and it had no effect.) It's only very recently, and I really mean in the last few months, since the 2020 US president election and some of the very strange dynamics which it exposed, that people are starting to try to work out who the progressive public really are, so there hasn't yet been a lot of formal writing about it.

Sommerswerd and Samson like this.