1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Deity

That's funny and sad at the same time. I really don't understand the logic of people who legitimately argue that a law that requires news organizations to only report the truth is a violation of the 1st Amendment. If I'm not allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, they shouldn't be allowed to report unconfirmed facts or outright lies.

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Ooh, ooh! Can I be the guy who decides what the Truth is?

El_Machinae likes this.
  3. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Good luck fighting the entrenched interests of Right wing media

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Pistols at dawn.

5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Nobody needs to decide what truth is. When a news organization reports something, they would have to show what established and confirmed facts they are basing the reporting on. If there is any discrepancy between what was reported and the established facts, the news organization that reported it would be open to civil or criminal penalty, depending on the severity of the offense.

6. Farm Boy

Who is the finder of fact? As it stands, it's civil trial juries. Are you arguing for a bureaucrat to do it from the executive branch? Or rather criminal trial juries? The distinction on the latter being they don't award damages, they dole out incarceration.

El_Machinae likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Who decides the facts? In spirit I support this until a GOP administration tells me blue is red and guns are safer to have in my home than to not have e in my home.

8. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

This would just allow rich people to shut down discourse not in their interest by threat of lawsuit.

El_Machinae and Cloud_Strife like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Not really sure what you are getting at with this question. Facts are pretty self-evident and don't really need to be "found". For example: if the news reports 30 people were injured in a massive pile up on the freeway, it should be pretty easy to verify that number.

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Fun fact: the fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun was discovered, and definitely did need to be found. That's an obvious example, but there are an infinite amount more.

11. Farm Boy

This is government. When somebody refuses to pay or report to their cage, the police come. The police need to be directed to chase illegality by somebody, illegality is a matter(as you put it) of fact, and the government will have a "finder of official fact."

Judges are responsible for interpreting the law, however, within trials somebody has to find what the law considers the facts to be. We give people the right to a "jury of their peers" to determine this, generally, when they are accused of something of adequate severity. There are alternative systems. The police can give the final word. An executive branch bureaucrat could have that power. A judicial intern.

El_Machinae likes this.
  12. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Judges will rule on the court cases. Mr. Sharpie assigns judges. It risks runaway feedback.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Also, there are already news services accountable to the voters. CBC, PBS, BBC, etc. Maybe not as much as you like, but the alternatives are family owned businesses and ones owned by shareholders