1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

a woodchipper synonymous with hatred and cognitive dissonance

El_Machinae and GenMarshall like this.
  2. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

This is the reason why CNN lost.

GenMarshall likes this.
  3. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

It's not, you know. Read the seminal case on defamation by the media: New York Times v. Sullivan.

I'd be interested to know if there was a preliminary motion to determine whether Sandmann was a was a public figure. Did he purposely draw media attention to himself?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
  4. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

if he was a public figure some media outlets would not have published photos of all the children and asked the Twiiter mob to identify them and their families

BCheek likes this.
  5. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

Why is it so hard for some people here to admit these kids were treated badly? There's more than enough evidence out there proving this was the case.

What do you have to gain from trying to prentend the kids committed some sort of sin and although the media lied horribly about the event, horrendously slandered the school and the character of minors the KIDS somehow deserved it?? That the media's behavior was okay?? What the hell?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Berzerker and Narz like this.
  6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

If acting like a dick is now a crime, a lot of people here are criminals.
    I hope that's not the kind of state we live in now.

GenMarshall likes this.
  7. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

It's not a crime. It's the new gold standard.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

New? I wouldn't credit this with either innovation or novelty.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

The kids behaved badly, so I don't really care.

Did you see the video taken earlier on the same day of them harassing women for no reason? Their character wasn't slandered, it already was bad.

10. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Yeah, this post was in jest, but how many 'cameras' filmed this thing? If I'm not mistaken there were tons of cell phones, since everyone has those, but the only 'traditional' (news camera type video camera) was the one carried by Nathan Phillips hired cameraman (or buddy), suggests he was instigating this to create the media firestorm that did happen when only his version of events was told.

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

That's the problem with social media and regular media. Any small offense is met with a way overdone response.
    Yeah they acting improperly. But does that justify death threats?

And most of the people that support how this kid was treated wouldn't support dad taking the brat out back for a little corporal punishment.
    DOH.

El_Machinae likes this.
  12. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

your right in that there were were tons of cell phones
    when this happened I posted a copy of a live stream from twitter that had the previous 2 hours of that day... it seems to be gone now but many people have posted hours of footage about that day and many thousands have deleted their twitter comments

heres one from back then that captures most of the days activities and the insane twitter mob reactions that followed

and a shorter one that captures the main players

13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

well chicken and egg here. I do not agree with threatening or even making a big deal. If I was an editor at CNN I would have tried to stop the sensationalization of this story shortly after reporting. “Look rich white racist kids acting badly in DC”

I do not believe this story is anywhere near that simple. The video itself shows that an awful lot of tau ting was going on before the event you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
    Gorbles likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You're just quoting the conservative news line, provided by the PR hired by the kid's parents. That's not objective. That's not unbiased. You're uncritically repeating one side of the story, and from your other posts have no interest in doing anything else.

This is separate to whatever a particular news channel was doing, I was simply responding to rah about comparisons to the abuse other young people have received by the media.

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

The media gets jaded like everyone else Este. We see and recognize it in say, cops. Or even teachers. But you better believe there are big newsroom parties for a job well done shortly after covering say a local mass shooting or something like that. Tornado chasers chase tornadoes and revel in their existence. Those that chase news aren't so different. Easier to make news than tornadoes tho. Better comparison might be the problems had with firemen sometimes.

Berzerker likes this.
  16. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

watch the video. They were acting terribly. Where were there chaperones? Why are they taunting trump protestors when they are supposed to be promoting pro life?

17. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

so you just causaully call people racist without any evidence... in some countries an editor doing that would get CNN sued because the video from that day does not show that... if you can prove me wrong just show me some footage longer than 30 seconds from the 1000 of hours avalable

GenMarshall likes this.
  18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

They didn't lose. They settled.

19. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I don’t think the kids did anything criminal and I don’t think pundits calling them racist asses or just asses did anything wrong either.

hobbsyoyo, Gorbles and Cloud_Strife like this.
  20. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I view people wearing Maga Hats the same way one might view people wearing white hoods, certain tattoos and clothing invoking Neo-Nazi symbols.

All of the above are directly related to the hatred of certain groups (mainly racially).