1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I agree with this and I think editors in these rooms chase each other’s tails like morons too. I just don’t see where this kid got defamed in a way that is worthy of settling.

I can’t say I watch much TV. So I’m not sure what Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper were saying. I’m sure it wasn’t nice.

2. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

they asked their chaprones if they could do the school sports chant to drown out a Hate group (according to the Southern Poverty Law Center) that was harrasing them something clearly shown in the days video

3. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

The implications of "Maga" aren't very nice either for those two men, one of whom happens to be black and both, gay.

Estebonrober likes this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Who said there was no evidence?

I mean, what Estebonrober said is correct. There was no criminal behaviour. But it's definitely a difficult argument to prove zero racism from someone being aggressive on camera in front of a Native American whilst proudly wearing a MAGA hat. That setup inherently assumes racial dynamics.

hobbsyoyo and Cloud_Strife like this.
  5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

"ASSUMES." I'd actually want to hear what was said before I'd make that leap. Reporters should be reporting facts, not opinions.

GenMarshall likes this.
  6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

the video in the story I linked shows a bunch of pretentious children acting very badly while wearing a bunch of MAGA buulcrap. You guys can say that MAGA is not indicative of racism but about half the nation disagrees. So yea racist belligerence.

hobbsyoyo and Gorbles like this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

"inherently assumes", for the full quote. As in it's a factor that doesn't need to be explicitly clarified in order to be present.

I'd personally argue that anyone wearing a MAGA hat publicly agrees with the Republican / Trump-lead branding of the statement enough to be racist (even if they're not overtly racist, the administration has made it abundantly clear that it absolutely is). I didn't need to do that, however, I was responding to the absurd allegation (not directed at me) of "so you just casually call people racist without any evidence". There is evidence. Really, I'd prefer if you called these kinds of ridiculous things out more rah, they're more flawed (and more personal) than what you're objecting to of mine.

I can't force you, I know. I'd just appreciate it.

8. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

the opinions of each side here are facts. Let me explain it this way. The reality is about half of Americans view the idea of “Making America Great Again” is racist in and of itself. It implies going back to a time before Obama or worse. When minorities and brown and gay people knew there place in society.

the other half thinks that half is insane and should be put down for being so petty and stupid.

those facts are part of this incident.

9. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

This thread has given me a giant headache. It's devolved into an insuffrable dumpster fire, time to unwatch and wait for it's inevitable closure.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

While I actually do agree with most of that, we're not talking about adults here. We're talking about kids. Should we start taking seriously punk rocker t-shirts calling for death? I don't think a kid that wears a hat he's seen his father wear is necessarily a racist. I'll admit the odds are good and he's probably on the way, but I can't say 100%. The desire to condemn and hate first bothers me for some reason.

Estebonrober and Bamspeedy like this.
  11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

It's all about the hat at this point, so there isn't a hell of a lot of point to talking around it. Well, unless we like BS.

Ok, so child wears hat with message not-liked by random actor for whatever reason. Appropriate* for international news outlets to lie about and profit from this person because they're bad if their hats/clothing are bad? Like politi-sluts that literally asked for it or something?

*civil, not criminal would be my take on scope

12. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

like the story I linked stated. This story is a good Rorschach test for your political leanings. So yea it’s trouble. I tried to avoid it myself but it was four pages of journalism bashing with no counterpoint.

13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

That's the problem. Political leanings, it does fine. Principles, not so much. Though I guess getting evidence of speakers who have none is a sort of value. ;)

(That's mostly just me being snide. Don't take it too serious serious.)

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I have a few relatives in Florida that wear the hat just to piss off liberals. (which obviously is working) Not all of them are racists.
    I don't think it's fair to assume motives. And claiming that half the population has that belief doesn't make it truth.

GenMarshall likes this.
  15. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

My political leanings? I don't even know what you're going on about anymore...

16. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

i agree with you generally. Most of these kids will go on to be fine people I bet. I’m also pretty sure you get them out of this mob setting and they’d be better behaved.

I can believe all that and still think that CNN shouldn’t have settled this suite.

17. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I didn’t mean you specifically. I meant it generally like in the story I linked.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Right or wrong sometimes falls by the wayside when PR comes into play.
    I would say that most media companies can't afford to piss off a majority of the population, but that's never stopped FOX :lol:

19. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Mhm yea I’m just going to point out that we’ve spent months now bickering over a young girl taking a political stand and right wing televisions has spent an awful lot of fine calling her a puppet and accusing her of threatening eco-terrorism falsely. Should she sue Fox News for the death threats she receives?

I don’t think so, but I agree Fix News should be better behaved about their rhetoric. Just like I agree CNN AND msnbc should be better.

20. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I think both sides were smart to settle. I think Sandmann would have been able to make a very strong, factual case, but he also had to consider the very real likelihood that he wouldn't be able to find a jury willing to calm down enough to hear it.

I think this one would have been a coin flip.