1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

this doesn’t speak well for your relatives personality honestly.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

NO it doesn't. But you don't get to choose your relatives. But some of them don't have a racist bone in their body. I just think it's sometimes silly to hate people just because they're on the other side. Especially when it's half the population. No reconciliation is possible under those circumstances. Especially when you have those screaming they don't want it. I don't think it speaks well of those.

3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Oh come on man, they had hats on and were near non-white people. How much more do you need? Actual evidence? Don't be ridiculous.

4. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Functionally, what is the difference?

They still obviously support a slogan, a man and a party wrapped up in racism and they clearly don't care how it looks to others, so again what is the difference?

If they were wearing neo nazi paraphernalia would you be giving them the benefit of the doubt or is it because the sort of bigotry espoused by the gop has been mainstreamed enough that you no longer feel it's appropriate to point out the elephant I the room?

5. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I agree with you basically. I don’t hate trump supporters. I’m also lost on convincing them they are being deceived by republicans who don’t care about their issues. This all seems just like when the Tea Party got hijacked by the GOP as well. The Tea Party’s principles were completely subverted and the GOP seeks out the USA and its people to anyone with a buck.

El_Machinae likes this.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I think there's a difference between punk t-shirt iconography, and a partisan tagline, but I understand where you're coming from even though I still don't agree.

The way I see it, there are absolutely people in this world regardless of political ideology that just want to get one-up on their fellow person(s), by considering themselves better, superior, more moral, you name it. But likewise, reactions to something like a MAGA hat for actual disadvantaged minorities comes from a sense of personal safety. It might not always be accurate to assume such, but it's safer for the minority in question to assume such, just in case they assume the best of the person and find themselves on the receiving end of an attack (verbal or otherwise).

Maybe what we need is acceptance that people are going to find wearing the hat racist? Not everyone can afford to "reach across the aisle", so to speak. I can, relatively easily. But that's my privilege.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

they were being belligerent thugs

8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

What exactly does Maga mean or even refer to?

America was never great to ALOT of groups of people and it seems to be dogwhistling back to a time in American history where certain groups had even less power, even less representation, even less rights and essentially "knew their place".

Make America Great Again is essentially a veiled threat of sorts.

El_Machinae likes this.
  9. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

This one didn't go speak to Congress. In the separate case with separate circumstances, no, I probably would not curtail freedom of the press that much.

We have strong negative freedoms, that old bugaboo of "progressives," around freedom of the press. Currently, you can profiteer a lot from a person, child or adult, that goes and speaks to Congress, actively courting international media attention. You can lie and be a general sack of human **** in that situaion. Protected because actual malice is a hell of a bar to clear(Nothing personal(harhar), I just wanted the cash, I was just following orders, whatever). Do those protections of press, with that incredibly rigorous bar, appropriately extend to freedom from civil liability when profiteering from actively lying about children engaging in confrontational hate if they wear politi-slut just-asking-for-it clothing? That's the question of the principle. The specific hat is the sideline that baits out the people who have politics of who, but not of what. People whom, generally, probably aren't worth listening to for very long.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Sounds like you're attempting to come across as morally superior. ;)
    Kidding aside, I find the hat insulting but I can't assign motive with 100% surety.

And political catch phrases VERY similar to MAGA have been used by politicians for a long time. Just because trump uses it, is the reason that democrats assign a negative vibe to it. If Obama had used it, it would have been viewed by the left as a sacred mantra. Don't kid yourselves.

It's not the phrase itself that is racist, it's a good number of the people chanting it. Please let's keep that straight.

11. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

What is tau ting?
    The only thing that is clear for me from the video is that the boys (and let's remember they're just boys) reacted with surprising cool to extremely offensive, racist and homophobic provocation by the hate group Black Hebrew Israelites. Imagine if 4 white adults were throwing racist insults at a huge group of black kids. That would have been the big national scandal, and nobody would blame the kids for throwing insults back at the adults or even physically challenging them. Yet the boys did nothing of the sort. When one of the idiotic Black Israelites was saying that "[expletive for homosexuals] must die", you can hear one of the kids on the video saying "they're human beings too".

No, I'm quoting what happened. The kids were insulted odiously by the Black racists, and then provoked by this Indian pathological liar. And yet they were portrayed by the media as the real racist aggressors, generating death threats and abuse against themselves and their families. Well done!

The media lied, period. The kids did not block the old Indian. They did not surround him. They did not initiate the confrontation. The media entirely omitted the presence and insults thrown by the Black Israelites, a racist hate group. The media lied.

The pundits, politicians and celebrities who called them racist asses and identified them by name, often promoting violence, caused them and their families to receive death threats and abuse for something they didn't even do. They all deserve to get their asses sued. Some of them should be in jail (like the film director who said they deserved to die) and others who encouraged violence. They would be facing that in a normal country.

To be clear: the media portrayed the story as the kids walking into the Indians and confronting them, and then menacingly blocking some poor old Indian elder who just wanted to move on towards the Lincoln Memorial. This is a lie, based on selective footage and on the unchecked statement of the Indian elder, who happens to be a pathological liar with a long history of entirely made up claims regarding being a victim of racism. The media lied and failed at its most basic function, which is looking for the truth. They amply deserve to get sued.

BTW, even the media vehicles admit they got the story wrong. You are entirely alone in thinking this was decently covered. The real guilty parties here are the Black racists, the old Indian compulsive liar, and the media. All things considered the boys behaved alright.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Berzerker likes this.
  12. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You're better than this.

13. Nexlev

Nexlev King

Trump copied MAGA from Bill Clinton.

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

And I'm sure it wasn't considered racist back then. Or would people consider it more sexual predatorish? Some people should spend a little more time learning history.

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Yeah, but then they get all old and being cocksure was more fun.

rah likes this.
  16. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I think the Clintons have paid a price for their previous racist actions. Maybe not enough, but at least they're regressing into history.

Estebonrober and Cloud_Strife like this.
  17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Not if Trump supporters have anything to say about it!

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

America wasn't great in the past for:

LGB people
    Transpeople
    Non-Whites
    Women
    Religious minorities
    People with disabilities
    The poor

So when people say "MAGA" I have no idea what the **** they're saying unless they're referring to the time In history when all of the above were subjected to greater repression than today.

You literally have to ignore history to see it as anything other than a dogwhistle, more so when used by a guy who has obvious animus to most if not all of the groups labelled above, nevermind coopted by a party that is also intrinsically hostile to them.

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Trump, the executive that didn't insist on due process while they chanted "lock her up? Trump, the one who tweeted racist crime statistics that doesn't even pass the sniff test? That Trump? Yeah, he's scum

Farm Boy likes this.
  20. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

Perhaps they're sick of the obnoxious and boorish behavior by people who see nothing wrong with horrendously slandering children on a national scale? We could consider that for a moment, or instead we could all just project our own meaning onto a not very informative or interesting statement written on a hat. Yeah, lets do that. **** those kids.

Berzerker likes this.