1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

That's beautifully left-handed, btw.

Edit: Like, in the non-snide way for me to say that. I appreciated it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Reacting like this too looney people saying stupid hateful things makes the situation worse not better. School chants that are also racist in perception in nature does not help. This isn’t as simple as the left made it on first pass and it’s not as simple as you are trying to make it now.

you are upping the ante quite a lot by suggesting jail time as well. For what? Inspiring others the threaten people? That’s not a thing. It cannot be a thing in the US.
    A lot of baiting on Both sides iss what tau ting was supposed to be. Sry

finally you are a misrepresenting my position here (I do not think this was covered well) and I’m most certainly not alone in thinking the kids were badly behaved. I’ve been to pro life marches they are generally very polite affairs.

3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

both sides do this. The right wing has no high ground here.
    I don’t defend it but acting like it’s a left wing thing only is blind.

4. BCheek

BCheek Chieftain

What does the right have to do with any of this? I also don't agree that both sides have done this. It's really no wonder we always lose. The absolute level of delusion and intellectual dishonesty on this side of the political spectrum is astounding.

5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Just for clarification, is tau ting, taunting? Or is this different.

Berzerker and El_Machinae like this.
  6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

they go after children too. They inspire death threats too. They are dishonest almost systematically these days. Just yesterday I’m reading tweets about 200 arsonists in Australia. A complete fabrication spouted repeatedly on right wing echo chambers.

7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Baiting. Sry typing fast on iPhones leads to this here.

El_Machinae likes this.
  8. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Well if you ever tried to understand something beyond the most simplistic slogans, you'd have an idea of why this has an appeal.
    Yes, the US of the past was certainly a much worse place for minorities. No question about it. But for many living Americans, the era that went from say the late 40s - to somewhere in 70's was also one of ever increasing prosperity, better job security, greater sense of community, more national cohesion, etc etc. Obviously I don't believe Trump is right person to bring those things back - indeed many of the factors that made the postwar boom possible are gone and won't return regardless of who is POTUS. And obviously there is a nasty, racist element to Trumpism which plays an important role. But if you ever tried putting yourself in other people's shoes, you'd realize this is also part of what many people mean when they say "Make America Great Again".

I don't see how the school chants are racist? This does not seem to be claimed by anyone really.
    I think people who encourage violence against a named individual should indeed face jail time. This is certainly the case in the vast majority of the world. If someone in a civilized country makes a public statement with the name and photo of someone and says something like "This person, Mr ABC, deserves to be thrown in the woodchopper because he is a racist bastard", he would be looking at jail time, specially considering that many people went ahead and made death threats against the victim and his family. This is not free speech, this is enticement to violence. And this was said, by a celebrity with plenty of Twitter followers, in a post directly naming the minor Nicholas Sandmann.

abradley likes this.
  9. BCheek

BCheek Chieftain

What does that have to do with letting the crazies on your own side run amuck and make us all look like a bunch of amoral loons?

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

The Left didn't make anything up. A bunch of media sly-dogs out for a buck made something up. A bunch of other people munched on the turd sandwich because it smelled like something they could sink their teeth into. Most people don't seem to be reveling in their breath, now, but a certain subsection of people is always going to be coprophagic. They're smelly and easy to notice, but thin on the ground.

El_Machinae likes this.
  11. luiz

That's a good point too, it's unfair to blame this on "The Left". Decent leftists are appalled at the way this was handled.
    This is on CNN, WePo, some other news orgs and a sub-section of the left, namely puritanical SJWs who think they are on a holy crusade to rid the world of racism and want to wash sinful of America with blood to cleanse it. That said, some household names of the left such as Elizabeth Warren also jumped on this story like flies attracted to a pile of dung, which speaks pretty poorly of their character (Warren was also sued by Sandmann but a judge dismissed it based on sovereign immunity).

12. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Is there a link to that video?

El_Machinae likes this.
  13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I am certain no on on CNN advocates for these boys to be harmed physically. People who made actual death threats to them broke the law and should be handled accordingly. What celebrity? I certainly do not condone such behavior nor am I complicit in it.

the school chants, notably the tomahawking one is viewed by many as racist. Also though just the general way these joys are behaving and going about their business is unnecessarily confrontational.

If you have a crazy guy at the end of a street spouting crazy crap you don’t go taunting it on further. You ignore it.

Again I’m not defending making death threats to these boys. I’m saying the journalism itself was only suspect not directly lying and that because of that I wold not have settled the suite.

As far as I can tell from other threads around here we are a pretty amoral nation btw.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy....n-catholic-maga-students-harassing-woman/amp/

I had visceral reaction to the video because I’ve been to pro life rallies and was ashamed of how this group was acting. I’m ashamed of any Catholic that would put a MAGA hat on in this white ethnostate loving time in America though, it’s “problematic”.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
  14. Manfred Belheim

Wow. Definitely kill them then.

15. luiz

It was Jack Morrissey, who produced Beauty and the Beast, those idiotic teenage Vampire movies and some other pretty famous stuff who said that Nicholas Sandmann and his colleagues deserved to be thrown "screaming, hats first into the woodchipper" (actual words), together with a picture of the famous woodchipper scene from Fargo. He later apologized and said he was joking - but it's not a joke when the kids and their families are receiving enormous amounts of death threats.
    CNN contributor and former representative Bakari Sellers called the students "deplorable" and said they should be "punched in the face". He has since deleted his Tweet but never apologized. CNN made no comment on this whatsoever.

The school kids were confused by the Indians at first. They probably thought they were on their side, as the Black Hebrew Israelites were also throwing odious insults at the Indians, calling them savages and "white men butt-wipes" (all very clear in the videos). The students at first thought the Indians were joining them. Little did they know that this Philips fellow is what the French would call a "mythomane" - a compulsive liar who lives in his own fantasy world, where he is a Vietnam Vet constantly abused by racist whites despite his years of patriotic service to the Motherland (he is neither a Vietnam Viet, nor served his country well, nor is a constant victim of racism - or at least the cases he told on TV were entirely made up, as they relate to his non-existing service in Vietnam). Philips wanted confrontation with the kids, not the other way around. He is an extremely shady character with a long history of bald-faced lies, and yet was taken as some holyman by the media.

16. civvver

civvver Deity

I still don't understand cloud's stance on this. Are you defending CNN's actions and saying they shouldn't have settled? So far all the comments are just Maga hats = trump supporters = automatic racists but I still haven't heard a conclusion on the case.

17. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

this is not my stance. Why does everyone do this all the time?

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  18. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

advocating violence is disputable in almost every case I can imagine. Adults should be better behaved, adults should have stopped thisnantagonism at this pro life march.

19. Manfred Belheim

I was just being hyperbolic/sarcastic. I know that's not actually your stance obviously.

20. luiz

Indeed. The Black Hebrew israelites are adults, Philips and his group of liers are adults, those in charge of CNN and WaPo and the people suggesting the kids should be thrown on woodchippers are adults. Sandamm and his colleagues are not adults, and yet they came out of this whole mess behaving far better than all of the above. But they were still the ones chosen by the SJWs as targets for their Two Minutes of Hate at the time.

I'll repeat myself, this puritanical hysteria is the main guilty party here.