1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Co-op da Whoop #4: Dario I½

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Silu, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Silu

Silu Deity

To 570AD: 'Sup

Seems that Artichoker's mexican acquaintances stir more discussion and interest than our game here, but on we go nevertheless!

With the barb menace finally laid to rest, things are much more silent. Quite boring, actually. The Russoburgers and Mr. Nose are duking it out big time - that leaves us in total peace to do whatever we please. There is an INSANE amount of GGs being born. And I mean insane. At least a dozen were born during this turnset alone, and over half a dozen before this. We hope this means the other continent might be deadlocked into wars and be "backwards" (as backwards as you can be on Deity), so we're aiming for Optics to go say hello. At least we won't be in a heathen religion for them since the other continent got ALL the religions. Yup, all 7.

So meanwhile, how's Mr. Nose (or Noise [nua:s] as the French call him) holding out 1v2?

Hmm, if that's his last leg he might be in troub--

Oh. Never mind.

280AD arrives, with some unpleasant news. 5 turns from Optics, Gilga/Pericles comes to say hello for us. So are they backwards?

Hmm... Well, I have more gold than him! So there!

So who are the other guys? Well, some turns later, we get tidings from Shaka (17 cities) and his buddy Pacal (10 cities), and their doormat, an enslaved couple Genghis Khan / Isabella. So much for deadlock wars. Sigh... Refer to the intro Hatshibal game here to see what such a Shaka tends to do with his spare time. And what's this?

Astronomy? Uhh... Suddenly our 300AD Optics doesn't look so great anymore.

All is quiet on the western front. De Gaulle is kicking some Knight/Mace/Landsknecht butt with his Catapults, Swords, and Combat4Formation Horse Archers :crazyeye: That guy got some cojones. And to think I dissed the French military efforts in the opening post.

We're aiming for Education for a lucky shot at Lib and some Persian Universities. Debated about going Astro and even started it at one point, but changed away when the other continent got it - we were hoping for trade opportunities. We changed to Education as at the time no one had it. I check for foreign Education every few turns. Seems good, except on the turn before we get Education:

So much for that! Well, it was kind of expected anyway.

So here we leave off again, setting up the trades we can with the Russoburgers and Spongolians, as I'm turning my focus on hammers while my greedy eye is focusing on the lush greenness that is France. He's holding up admirably, but that can perhaps be remedied. Respectively, I feel the greedy eye of a certain Zulu warlord slowly turning towards our happy little continent...

2. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

Where were we? Oh yea, having dodged a bullet from uncle sunshine and his burger-toting friend I set out to do what Darius does best: Tech.

Meanwhile, in Russia:

Nothing spectacular, but will surely keep DG busy.

Remember us having next to no happy resources? RNG rides to the rescue:

Honestly I call this balance. We had a grand total of 2 happy resources and those were silk and incence. How miserable is that? I'll take any extra happy I can get, and...

..once you pop you can't stop. Hoorays, +4 :)

To stay on the safe side a train of giftlers was set to the north:

They would not find proper holes to settle in and would eventually return back home to backfill but as you see, we have the boys at pleased anyhow.

Persepolis at 1 AD:

Solid, developing. I like it.

Core of Persia:

Can't go wrong with Darius/Nile combo. Not quite the 300 BPT I set out for but close enough.

More of the same due west:

I pretty much disregarded the war that was raging on. Miraculously, we dodged all requests to join in on it and were happy to be left out. I put my time to good use and did more of the same, infra and teching.

As you can see from Silus report, we encountered an overseas juggernaut at some point (the year eludes me) in form of Shacal and were pretty stunned at just how big they'd gotten. Oh well, looks like another intercontinental brawl against the Zulu.

Persia proper:

We're woefully behind in tech. This is going to be a real challenge because Shaka's land is a mix of calendar resources and hills which results in him having a pretty darn solid production base combined with a steady income of commerce. It's going to be hard.

3. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Wow a 17 city Shaka? I wonder if his stack is >50 units by now. I'm surprised he hasn't started plotting against his heathen neighbors, as he should have crappy peaceweight against Pericles that his relations with Gilgamesh can't remedy.

As for the tech pace, it looks like Pacal is fueling one team and Pericles is fueling the other. If I'm reading the tech screen correctly, Pericles/Gilgamesh have economics already so they will probably take liberalism next.

edit: You guys realize that Shaka alone is as big as you guys combined in terms of city count right? Good luck :D

4. Yared

Yared That Guy

I wonder how Shaka will be dealt with.

5. ahcos

ahcos King

oh come on, you have to be manipulating the games ... i mean, silu gets all the bad luck and fleme all the good luck? always? and it's getting worse? :D good luck, seems you'll need it ... that african boy will definetly cause you alot of trouble.

6. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

^Strangely enough though, Silu thrives off misery. I think I would've been crying myself to sleep every night with a start like that... or more like it crying to Silu until we rerolled. He's way more persistent than I am and that's why we almost always end up like this :lol:

7. Eplekjekk

Eplekjekk Chieftain

Haha that picture is awesome.

8. Silu

Silu Deity

Manipulating is kinda hard without the worldbuilder though. Or how can you manipulate multiplayer maps/saves? That would be interesting to know - not that I would consider doing that :mischief:

Nah, I don't thrive on misery - since for me misery is getting an interesting start but having to reroll it because of constant whine in the team chat :D I like interesting situations, as long as they're winnable.

Team play is great because you can play out normally unwinnable interesting situations due to teammate carrying :)

9. ahcos

ahcos King

finnish people are smart, aren't they? i'm sure fleme has found a way to make the game miserable for you :D

the amount of bad luck you receive is remarkable. maybe you focus on the bad things too much and fleme tries to be positive? the finnish winter can be long and dark...

joking ofc. after all, your bad luck contributes towards the entertainment in your reports (=

10. Silu

Silu Deity

To 1085AD: End of the beginning of the end

Back from somewhat of a hiatus again. So much non-Civ stuff happening and handily synchronized so that no team Civ time even when I'd have time! Anyway, let's continue the tale of Dario I½ (no, not the Mexican guy).

Right off a great thing happens in Portugal - my tech goes over 100 beakers per turn! Hooray! Such a fantastic bpt rate and as early as 565AD, too! There was cake. And no, it wasn't a lie.

Meanwhile in France, DG has been opening a real can of whoopass on the Russoburgers. Killing all the tiny stacks they send one by one, he even had time to amass a 30-man SoD.

Then, he sent it towards Russia.

Then, he noticed the land path to Russia is completely blocked by our culture.

Then, he noticed that we do not have Open Borders for obvious reasons.

Pop quiz, what do AIs almost always do in that scenario? That's right. TO-TOOOOOT!

Notice the promotions.

Fleme naturally didn't have any military if you don't count 8 military police Archers in each city. I had been building up some Maces and Knights in anticipation for the future, and luckily had sent them to the French border already. De Gaulle approached us from the west, while Stalin and Charlie focused on the eastern parts of France. Things looked grim in the short term, until I made a phone call to ol' Joe.

- "'Sup Joe?"

- "Nufin', watchin' the war, havin' a bud', 'sup with you?"

- "Nufin', nufin', jus' having a ravenous horde of French military on our western lands."

- "Oh, that must suck. Too bad for you."

- "Yeah. So you're going for Rouen, right? In east France?"

- "Yeah, I heard some weird rumor that controlling that city might give us 2 happiness in each city on this continent."

- "Man, not in this reality... How about attacking Aryan instead? Lovely southwestern France fishing village, great restaurants, cheap accomodation..."
    (Contact->"We'd like to discuss something else"->"We would like you to attack"->"Aryan")

- "Sounds great! We'll do our best!"
    ("We'll do our best!")

So, we persuaded our war allies to attack southwestern France instead of eastern France. Why is this relevant?

WARNING! WARNING! IMMINENT COLLISION IN 3...2...1...

BLAM! Mop-up time! I can't believe how well that worked out.

Oh, and we found out the origin of those crazy promotion units:

Fleme, the sissy, was thinking about peace at this point. Screw that.

On the opposite, we bribed a peace between the Russoburgers and France. That war lasted 200 years, with only 1 city changing hands back and forth! Truly, that war is the reason why we are in this game anymore...

Tech-wise, we're looking a bit better. We're fighting with Trebs and Knights while Shaka is pushing Artillery (has Rifling&Steel), so take that notion with a grain of salt.

Oh, and they went weehorn. At least the team only has one guy whose army can achieve anyth---

Hmm.. Disregard that. What about the big bad boy?

Damn, almost worse! Didn't expect that, certainly. Not that they'd need that much units in the first place, with 900AD Artillery...

Meanwhile, France was quite effortlessly annexed into Persia. Too bad this place wasn't called Gaul :lol:

The now big-ass Persia is providing us with the brains, leaving me with this capital:

And how to use it? To get rid of our other neighbors before the hungry eye of Shaka turns this way. Of course they're weehorn already and if they decide to come this way, well... Outlook not so good. Anyway, all I'm doing is military and this:

No, no GP to be used for GA'ing that. Not like me being offline for 6 turns matters at all in the grand scheme of things anyway.

So unsurprisingly team Shakal declares war on Perilgamesh. Respectively, we declare war on our neighbors. Team Perilgamesh does not last long (and yeah, that's what's left of Charlie's SoD, Joe's was wiped already):

34 cities for us, 34 cities plus 31 in vassals for Shaka. Woop-de-doo! Their assets:

Fun stuff! Can't wait to have them DoW us! Honest!

So, hopefully we can walk over the Russoburgers without huge amounts of trouble. If the Shakal comes this way when our assets are tied in Russia, well... Either way, this game will end in someone going out with a big bang. I'm not sure I can conceivably believe we could win against the insanely massive behemoth across the pond, but one can always hope...

Expect the fluffier report of mah teammate perhaps tomorrow. :)

11. Yared

Yared That Guy

I'm guessing that :espionage: catch up is out of the question?

12. JammerUno

JammerUno King

There's still time for the internet.

13. aramoug

aramoug Chieftain

What is the mod you are using that changes the game display to show extra info?

14. Silu

Silu Deity

Ah, the most common question on the forums :) That would be the BUG Mod, improving the UI without changing gameplay. What we're using here is an old version, as all the great stuff they're adding tends to slog down multiplayer somewhat.

15. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

I hope you guys will see this game out to the end. Don't get discouraged if not too many people post about it, I'm sure there are lots of lurkers out there (myself included) and it's always inspiring to watch people actually compete on Deity :goodjob:

16. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

Yeah we're seeing it to the end but the end seems to loom in some 5-10 hours of gameplay so we're taking it rather slow :D We'll get there eventually, though.

17. roberteriksson

roberteriksson Chieftain

Yep always following this!

18. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

IIRC, turning off the PLE makes the game much quicker, unless you have a junk computer to begin with.

19. TCMIV

TCMIV Barış Manço

That barb city made me laugh, well played indeed

20. kalidude

kalidude Armchair Private

Very much enjoying this. I also learned something! Had no idea you could ask an ally to attack a specific enemy city. Keep up the good work, and thanks! :goodjob: