Co-op da Whoop #4: Dario I½

it seems the position is hopeless. Perhaps you guys can pull off a cultural or space victory.

To 1422AD: The Bear and the Burger

Last cliffhanger was the starting pistol blast for invading the famed Russoburgers. While they had enabled us to thrive so far by keeping themselves and our other neighbor relatively backwards, they had outlived their usefulness now and we need all the assets we can to stand ANY kind of chance against the overseas juggernauts.

Luckily I was invading Russia first and getting to blast this kinds of reinforcement stacks out in the field instead of inside hill cities...

My most useful invasion units? 5 March Knights left over from the French war. Kills in the home and in the garden, and heals themselves each turn to boot!

Oh, and these guys went weehorn. Pretty much a coinflip if they're going for us or our adversaries (yeah, those Transports are full):

War weariness was being a serious problem, and in anticipation of the Shakal attack we took an intermittent peace with the Russoburgers. I had razed half of the craptastic Russian cities (including the two we gifted to them a while back :lol:) and he was spotting to replace them by settling new ones during the peace! I dodged that bullet by popping these borders at the last minute, the Knight on the left is his city site spotter :D Convenient peak is convenient.

We took forced peace by asking a gift when the Shakal fleet (just a teeny-tiny part, compliments of the crappy AI intercontinental warfare skills) and they landed in Persia anyway (that small stack of SAMs), meaning they were indeed gunning for us.

And like clockwork, 10 turns later...

Well, not much to say about that war. We mopped up their pack of dozen SAMs, a stack of 20 Mayan Inf/SAM/Arty a bit later, endured the loss of a bajillion fishing nets, and not much else - thankfully we got Infs just in time to be able to defend. We got peace for 1000g or so, and turned our sights back towards Russia. During our forced peace with Shakal, they went weehorn, so we were on the clock to grab Russia and St. Romania first. We declared war and... *BLONGGG*

A golden age from the Marathon event! I had truly deserved that, damn Russians for making a sneak attack on the glorious Portugal city of Novgorod... I promptly adopted Police State after the Leningrad Pyramids were liberated.

We had Infs and Airships now, meaning that not even this kind of tedium provided much of a challenge:

Infs march on, 12 Airships provide cover. Damn, these things have a huge range. I love how taking only 20% of those CG3 Rifles insanely improves attack odds, since lowering that base strength makes all those promotions less effective as well.

At this point Shakal declares war on the Russoburgers. Meaning we get OB with them again, yay! Fun fact: my research TRIPLED with internatiocontinental trade routes. In any case, war weariness was being VERY annoying again, and since Shakal was starting to grab cities, we capped Charlie after Joe was eliminated. This actually improved our relations with the other side, since they generally liked him more than us. Go figure.

Tech at the time. Yeah, not looking too hot. We were thinking about the Internet, but we are 3½ techs from Computers and they already have Plastics... Yeah, probably not too great a gambit with Modern era Deity era bonuses kicking into high gear for the opposition.

Well, there's at least a single hope for us yet military-wise, involving some green glow, underground bunkers and sneaky submarines...

I'm going to go ahead and say no to that opening of space victory - seems that Silu has disabled it :D Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains a mystery for now, however.

First of all my apologies for missing the previous set. It would've been an uninspired one as I'm basically just building up infrastructure (as I am in this segment) while Silu does the warring. That's how the cookie usually seems to crumble for us in our games as of late.

Well, on to my business: The inevitable did happen as Silu described and we were declared upon by Shacal while Silu was busy on the Russoburgerian federation. We were, surprisingly enough, ready for what they threw at us and the initial declaration was actually pretty cheesy.

See, we had done the age-old trick of begging 10 gold from them as we saw the WHEOOHRN-fist and bought a 10 turn peace, during which their assault troops did in fact land on our continent and contently waited in one of my cities for the forced peace to run out. I still had a gap in my empire in the middle of a desert I didn't want to settle so when they DoWed, they ended up there.

The stack was just SAM infantry and Artillery, both of which are easily disposed by plain old Infantry.

I don't have a shot of the originalstack, but here's the second wave being decimated at the shores of Istakhr:

The war ended pretty much as fast as it had begun with only a minor strain to my treasury. Here we are at peace once again:

Invasion of Portugal? Well, not so much but one of the soldiers seemed to think so and the masses seemed to agree. What the heck:

Persia proper:

Persepolis at 1422 AD:

And finally a glance at the uglies:

I have to keep telling myself that land is power because it seems to be the only thing going for us. As far as plans go, since space is now ruled out due to a mishap in the settings we're gunning for war. Yeah, war against a continent full of deity AI's who have a technological lead on us.

The plan involves me setting up a GP farm for both an engineer and a merchant - this shouldn't be hard since we've hardly farmed any GP's this game and then founding both Mining Inc and Cereal Mills (Sushi is pretty impossible with the AI's ruling the seas like they do) and then... :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: until there's desert and fallout left all around and our intrepid scorpion/cockroach hybrids crawl across the barren waste that used to be Zulaya to claim either domination or conquest.

I'm going to go ahead and say no to that opening of space victory - seems that Silu has disabled it :D Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains a mystery for now, however.

BTW, I have no idea how this happened :D No idea how one can accidentally disable victory conditions... And yeah we didn't notice this until this point. Makes our win condition options a smaller in number, that's for certain.

All the other conditions are enabled.

Intercontinental invasions vs. a giant advanced deity AI must be a nightmare. Either nukes or a ton of fighters/bombers/railroad cutters to keep them from destroying your stacks.

Hmm, an army five times as large as yours...

I didn't notice if you got to build the Kremlin, but would founding the Jewellers and rush-buying tons of nukes not be an option (instead of/in addition to building them the regular way with Mining)?

As long as Pacal doesn't go for a cultural VC, you should have plenty of time to take them down since UN is likely impossible with your pop count.

Great work guys! I read the whole thread last night, and really enjoyed it! It's actually pretty enjoyable seeing a game write-up where the human doesn't man-handle the AIs. I hope your war against Shacal is successful!

I've actually had Pacal/Shaka in a team game before online. Unlucky for Pacal they were both seperated and on the same island as my teammate. He didn't last long.

I will note something though, the RNG seems to have a habit of teaming up a military AI with a finiancial or scientific AI. Bloody powerhouses.

To 1600-something AD: Strike first, strike hard

Plans were laid. We had decided that the only way we were going to tackle Shacal was to lay waste on the entire globe and simply wear them down like terrorists would wear down developed nations - by striking at their key points without notice and disrupt whatever they were doing at the most inconvenient times. Not the noblest of strategies, but it was ours.

I did not lean towards a full-on nuclear war easily because truth be told, I've never done it. I know, I know; Everyone nukes, but the truth really is that I despise global warming so much that I do everything in my power to keep nuclear wars from happening and you can see me in the front voting for a Nuke ban in the UN when it comes up. Well, this is no ordinary game as you've seen from the very start.

Started off with our plan coming to fruition as "Ville Sikari" was born in Dariush Kabir.

He founded Mining Inc. in Pasargadae - something that would actually land us 8 hammers per city and eventually push us over the MFG of the deities. It was meticulously spread everywhere as we were on a clock. Pacal was pursuing a cultural win and had already reached legendary in Mutal all the while they were once again WHEOOHRN. Furthermore, the window for "free" nuking was closing fast. They did not have SDI just yet but it was only a matter of turns before they got there and since we honestly do not have the resources to plow through SDI right now, we have to act fast, so we scrambled to set the first wave of terrorists in position:

How great is that cultural hole next to Mutal?

Shaka alone had some three "capital" stacks with more than 50 units in each and even one of those stacks would've been enough to severely cramp our style had they reached our mainland so we had to make sure all bases were covered. Here's one of Shaka's victory fleets:

...and here's another:

Another glance at Pacal, featuring the stack at Mutal:

Finally though, push came to shove and we manned up. We, who could not last a turn against Shaka alone in a face-to-face ground war, went all nuclear on their capital cities. My apologies for the lack of mushroom clouds; Game at this point is heavy as is so all eye-candy must go. Here, taking of Ulundi after a barrage of 3 nukes:

Burn them, burn them all:

Mutal suffers the same fate:

It had even more wonders... They all burned.

Victory fleet of Vandal?

Nuclear waste.

Raiders of Mutal had a few Nukes to spare and we had a couple of back-up Nukes back home so Calakmul also felt the blow:

And then, in an attempt to block them from having Nukes readily available, we laid some fallout on their Uranium:

In 1560 the world showed the first signs that it would rather sign out than take this kind of blatant disregard for it's wellbeing.

That is the first, but it sure won't be the last.

Like I said earlier on, the window before SDI was really small. In 1574 it had already closed and ICBMs rendered pretty much useless. Shacal rules the sea so we can't reliably take submarines there either as we have no idea of knowing where their Stealth Destroyers might be lurking.

We managed a peace for some 1500 gold in the early 1600's. What to do with the peace? Build up more nukes so we can wear them down even further. Istakhr was designated as a nuclear sub base and since we now had Mining Inc and Cereal Mills (I popped a Merchant at some point during the war in Dariush Kabir but it totally slipped my mind to take pictures... with the nuclear war and all, you know?)

Anyhow, you know what sucks? This is the first instance I see the AI blatantly cheating. I mean, in order to scrub fallout, one needs to have the technology of Ecology. Well, not Shacal. They don't have it, yet their workers are cleaning up all the waste we laid on their land and our nuclear prevention strategy backfired in that sense.

I have no idea of how many of these wars of terror we have to wage before we're strong enough to take on them but as it is now, the best plan of action seems to be that we strike on their coastal strongholds and wear down their invasion navies at port before they can strike at us and then hang of for dear life with the support of Cereal Mills and Mining Inc. Why Cereal Mills by the way? Well, even if our mainland suffers no casualty from the war itself, our fishing industry is gone on turn 2 of the war. They have ships all over the map and it's simply too unreliable to trust in Sushi.

We're some 20 hours in and this is the hardest game of civ I've played so far... It's so strenuous and so hard and there's no telling how it will end. I mean, usually you know when you're going to win and can just lay back and enjoy the game. This game? No, it's like work and you have a boss that's breathing down your neck at all times and you have a deadline for every single action. Pfft...

Atleast there's nukes.

To 1610AD: :nuke::nuke::nuke::hide:

Our Fallout&Free Market (tm) plan gets a nice kick start right away with Mining Inc. Lisboa is eagerly waiting for Mining Inc spread with its 7 GGs. Gotta love those straight-up level 5 units.

Meanwhile, the Zulu come to say hi. Whoops. Guess I should have settled that spot after all (or more accurately, should not have razed the two Russian cities in the area). Now this would be nice for espionage purposes, if only the Deity espionage ratios wouldn't make a single tech steal cost around 100k EP now.

If the ethical consequences (huge population losses) of a nuclear plan made us doubt that for a while, this next event actually made that an upside instead of a downside!

And here's the demographics at this point. We're apparently dominating the opponents production-wise, but remember that at this point 1) Deities have 39% of the unit and building costs we do 2) we are opposing 6 Civs with 3 3) We're in a huge tech ditch. No way we can "just win" from here on out.

If you read the above half of this report, you've already seen the monster stacks of Shaka lying around. Here's a picture for good measure:

And as told after our devastating (relatively speaking, nothing can really DEVASTATE this kind of Deity AIs) first strike, our plan was to nuke their Uranium supplies and take peace. This first war was a haphazard rush of a couple nukes to prevent the most pressing matter, Pacal's culture victory. Mutal was already Legendary with its 12 wonders (including the Statues of Liberty and Zeus, which was very nice). His third isn't actually that far off even without Mutal but luckily AIs are hard-coded to stop a culture attempt if they lose one of their first three.

So anyway, they got their SDI while they had an Uranium or two left, and we ended up getting a funky streak of about twelve interceptions and two non-fallouting nukes before we got down the last. And of course that's when we noticed the cheaters are scrubbing fallout without Ecology! So that's about 15000 :hammers: down the drain. Oh well, live and learn.

The future seems to entail a thousand and one nukes and possibly getting our asses handed to us in the meantime. Remember, they have SDI and we do not, and we didn't disrupt their Uranium supplies as we had hoped. SDI is a long ways off. The Internet is long gone (we were thinking about shooting for it, aborted when they had Plastics before we even got Radio), espionage is no option; I guess that leaves just nukes as the sucker punch!

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

just idle thinking here ...

would it be practially possable for you to keep on the terrorist attacks and sneak away in a space ship?

Yes it would, if I hadn't been a tool and apparently accidentally disabled the space victory. We noticed that during the turnset before this :lol: I still don't know if having it on would make things easier or not, as destroying Shacal's third mission would have been hard as they would have run out of coastal capitals to raze, and touching any inland cities except with nukes is a big fat impossibility :p

Looks like a really hard game, which (along with your writing) makes it a great read. Can't wait to see the outcome!

Just read up to here. My hat off to you silu for continuing in such terrible conditions :). Keen to see how it plays out.

I tip my hat to him every time we play just because he didn't throw in the towel. I would've. Heck, I still feel like giving up like 66% of the time but I guess there's some issues of pride to be resolved here between us and Shaka.

Would you actually be able to get to Domination by razing all the cities you can get to with Paratroopers (after nuking)? From the minimap it might seems so, but I can't count the tiles...

You could try just nuking the ocean somewhere: no SDI, and the global warming inpact stays thesame. Ramp up the number of useless deserts on the world and your corps will quickly give you an edge over Shakal. Maybe that advice would've helped earlier, but if GW is your immediate goal, it's surely the better route to take.

edit: considering you'll the fact that GW thresshold stays thesame, I'd actually prioritize it with as many nukes as you can spare, once GW is up and running, you can return to nuking their cities.
edit2: for the love of god have Charlie tech something you can use, not a tech you'll have 32 turns before him.

Top Bottom