[GS] Co2

PurpleHaze34

Chieftain
I'm in my first GS game and I built an Ironclad, upgraded a caravel armada to an Ironclad armada, I have maybe 2 factories. I have purposely not built a Coal Power Plant. I discovered I am the leading cause of CO2 in the world at 103 points while the world is at 205.

Do military units add to CO2? Do unpowered factories? Can someone give numbers when guides everywhere use phrases like "Oil Power Plants produce a moderate amount of CO2"? Are there ratios Coal is 2:1, Oil is 1:1, and Uranium is 1:2?

I don't believe the military units add anything. Regular factories don't add it. Have you built railroads? I think each time you lay down a tile of railroad, there is a small amount of Co2 created.

I think units that consume the "power" resources (coal, oil and uranium) will contribute to CO2 emissions, although I don't have exact numbers.

The units and railroads must contribute a lot. I only ran a coal plant for a very short time before getting all of my power from renewable sources. But I had a lot of railroads and my CO2 was quickly above a thousand, now the coastal flooding has gotten intense.

As a side note putting the disaster level up to four means you don't need a lot of emissions to have a big effect. It seems to start you 2/3 of the way to the first level of sea rise.

Huh, cool. I was sure that it was only for the factories. You learn something new every day!

Deforestation is related somehow, although that may accelerate CO2 growth, not add to it directly

In both my games, CO2 has gone haywire (level 4 disasters). Learned from first game. Before I built any power plants, I beelined Coastal Flood Gates. Had 9 of 11 cities protected when sea levels went up. Other 2 lost tiles.

how do you set the disaster level? Or is that something that starts at one and rises as the game progresses?

Deforestation contributes as a multiplier of CO2 emissions. In my current game, there's enough forest still left that I'm getting a 20% reduction in emissions.

Guys i have a question if anyone knows... once you build a plant (coal or oil generate the most pollution), is there a way for it go to away at all? I mean. say I have some coal or oil plant giving +6 power, and that city needs 6 power total.. if then i build a solar panel that gives +2 power, is the CO2 pollution still considered by 6 power or the game takes into consideration that the plant now only gives 4 power needed? and when i have 3 solar panels, so +6 power, does the pollution generated by the plant totally go away, or it's still there? thanks a lot in advance.

I also discovered that until your factory is powered it does not add it's value to the 6 tile away cities. I did not think this was clear in the building description.

Guys i have a question if anyone knows... once you build a plant (coal or oil generate the most pollution), is there a way for it go to away at all? I mean. say I have some coal or oil plant giving +6 power, and that city needs 6 power total.. if then i build a solar panel that gives +2 power, is the CO2 pollution still considered by 6 power or the game takes into consideration that the plant now only gives 4 power needed? and when i have 3 solar panels, so +6 power, does the pollution generated by the plant totally go away, or it's still there? thanks a lot in advance.

Anyone? :p Thanks!

I heard somewhere in nearby thread that green powerplants apply their energy before others. So if you have enough green power for all your needs emissions should stop.

All military units that require resources like coal, oil, generate CO2. In my current game I had zero CO2 until I upgraded frigate to battleship.

I see no need to build any coal, oil or nuclear power plants. They are useless, you can play game without them and win without any problems (did it on deity level with Maori so far).

Top Bottom