1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coal Plant with Electricity?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Barmer, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Barmer

Barmer Chieftain

The cost of a Coal Plant is the :hammers: spent of course and also two unhappy points :rolleyes:. The only gain is that it powers my factory. What does that mean? The factory doesn't provide extra :hammers: without power? The description of the Electricity tech says it will provide power for factories. So, the Coal Plant is obsolete? Does it still provide two unhappy points? Is it bad to build a Coal Plant when I have the Electricity tech?

BD - wondering

2. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

A factory provides 25% production bonus, with power it gives a 50% bonus.

The coal plant provides power if you have coal but creates 2 unhealth.
    The hydro plant provides power without health problems.
    the nuke plant provides power if you have Uranium but may meltdown.

What type of powerplant is right for you depends on the situation. But keep in mind that the coal plant is cheaper and available sooner. The unhealth has no affect as long as you have more health than unhealth. I think they are a good deal in small numbers.

The coal plant will continue to produce unhealth even if you build a different power plant later, it never becomes obsolete.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

INCORRECT
    a Factory provides 25% without power
    with power it provides an ADDITIONAL 50%
    Total=75% with power

The coal plant will NOT produce unhealth if there is another source of power available. (or if you don't have coal..in which case it doesn't provide power)

The Electricity tech does NOT provide power

4. 1889

:blush: Thanks Krik.

5. Barmer

Barmer Chieftain

Thanks -- those responses clarify the power thing for me. Including that my initial question was off base some. The Electricity tech doesn't supply power. I think I was confused there because the Factory suggests a bonus with <lightening bolt icon> which I now think menas Power, not Electricity. And Power comes from Coal Plant, Hydro Plant, or Nuclear Plant as described above.

Bottom line is that I should build Coal Plants until the Hydro Plant becomes available. Why would I want a Nuclear Plant if Plastics are available for building Hydro Plants?

Thanks - BD

6. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Good call, Krik. That's correct.

I'd just like to add that you can go crazy with coal plants. You just need to factor in how large your city is going to grow, against how much more sickness you can have. If your city will not grow to the extent of unhealthiness in the margin of 2 :yuck: then a coal plant is an excellent investment.

7. 1889

Hydro plants can only be built in cities on rivers. So if thats not an option nuclear plants may be your best choice, although I don't know the chances of a meltdown occuring.

8. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

1:1000 i think or 1:10000

9. automator

automator King

Nope. The plant will remain, but the unhealth anti-bonus is gone ... unless that other plant is destroyed.

Hoover Dam is always preferable, though I'd build other power plants as backups in imporatant cities just in case your Hoover city is captured.

10. Bushface

Bushface Deity

The Hoover Dam is in earlier Civ games: in Civ 4 it's the Three Gorges Dam that powers a whole continent - which isn't much use if you're on a small island.
    And surely your Hoover city would be better employed cleaning up ? It could be nicknamed The Big Sucker . . .

11. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Per nuclear plant, per turn of course. I never build them. Then again, I don't think I've ever built a nuke in a game of Civ (not even a planet buster - maybe with a fungal payload though :))

12. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The chance is 1 in 2,000. If your civ has 10 nuclear plants, one will melt down about every 140 turns. It's pretty rare :)

(log(50%,1-0.05%)/10 = 138.59)