Coastal cities (Capitols too, of course) too easy to conquer?

Stilgar08

Emperor
Well, I finished my first game. Won domination with Rome (random selected) :king:. This was on Prince (wanted to get a hang of the game and the mechanics), standard everything else...
I originally planned to go for culture, but

1. I'm not sure if I could have pulled it. At least not as fast...
2. Because of the easy steamroll through AI Cities I decided for a faster way... (Colonial War casus belli most of the time... :rolleyes:)

One of the reasons is the complete inability of the AI to defend coastal cities; Madrid, the Scythian Capitol, and Rio were all coastal and I finished them off with 1 frigate and 1 ironclad-corps. They don't have a big navy to speak off and they don't seem to put special emphasis on capitol defenses either. They should at least focus a bit on defending their capitols, don't you think? And if the happen to be coastal having 1-2 ships at hand or ordering them back when in war should be a thing... :rolleyes:

When you get to the point of having battleships (range 3, so you can fire while they can't fire back) I'm sure resistance isn't even a thing to mention...

I'm going on King now trying another approach again, but I would like to hear if you experienced different things or is it the same all over the place and all over the different difficulty-settings?

I would welcome very much to not make this another rant-thread! I love the game and the sortcomings of the AI have been in focus in 1999 threads already! :sleep:
So please stay on topic and if you have an idea how to improve the situation I'd love to hear it!

Coastal Madrid was an absolute cakewalk for me. AI built literally not a single ship. I could have taken it with 1 ship if only had that (they were garrisoned with a melee unit and didn't build an encampment either).

Either that, or they lost them to another AI and didn't rebuild them. But that's only 1 anecdotal case for me, so far.

Top Bottom