Coastal Oil PTW

Lord_Azazel

Prime Swatter
:nuke:

I´ve always wondered why you can´t find oil in the water. So i figured I´ll just make it possible, because there´s lots of oil under the seabottom. If you wonder how to get the oil just make a worker to build a colony at the tile. If it is in you´re territory, build a city there, if you got a city next to the tile, then I don´t feel sorry for you´re ass.

[ptw] Only

So if anyone know how to do this in [civ3] and [c3c] :thanx:

Note: I don´t know if there are oil in the sea in C3C because I haven´t tried it.

:nuke:

Attachments

• oilywater.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 252
Problem is, you can't enter coastal tiles with land units (worker and settler)

I honestly think that some kind of self-restrain should be exercised when posting mods here. This has zero value, because it's a trivial change nobody will use as a mod and more importantly, it doesn't work.

Sorry if I sound harsh. It's not intentional, just unavoidable.

you just get them on an transport and build it rigth from the transport, works on my computer

I haven't tried it, but if the coast terrain is modded in the editor to allow colonies, it should be possible. Never thought of doing it that way.
The only problem really, if it does work, is that the AI will never do it. That's too complicated a task for a computer. :rolleyes: Never thought I would say a computer was to dumb to do something I can do easily.
Has anyone tested to see what the AI does?

the idea very good,but:listen what i have tried:
because oil can found also in waters(north sea,england for example)i considered it reasonable.then i add a new resource,sea oil,modifing the terrain sea(not ocean) to be the only place that sea oil appears.but this have the result the cruiser,or the battleship,to have except from oil,to require and the sea oil as well!as you can imagine,i have add the sea oil as an alternative solution to the civs who were unlucky enough that dont have oil in their ground,but there is no alternative solution for the computer(it doesn recorgnise this).the solution so,is to put the sea generates oil as well.i try itn and of course in the following map it indeed generate oil in sea(near coasts)but i didnt try it...now i m working on 2 projects:the first is like trading workers for sale to do the same on buy/sell weapons(very exciting!)and the second to change the rules for the scientific leader,because its the only one that can finish great wonders in c3c and thats not good(i prefer the ptw which every leader could complete everything).if you have any ideas,i would be very happy to hear them...happy new year!!!!!!!

Happy new year!!! I thought of i you can build cities in sea and ocean by loading settlers into transports, you could pretend the cities in the sea could be oil platforms and not cities then you only had to build a harbor in that city end boom you got oil, but theres one thing, if you can build cities in sea and ocean tiles, then you can build them all over the sea, its kind of arrgh... For your two projects; The [c3c] thing I dont know cause I havent got it, but the trade workers idea may be, cause you can capture workers you know maybe it goes for settlers too, so maybe it has something to do with the capture unit thing or the non combat thing, or it could be that they must be workers (something with the game) I dont know.

Originally posted by Drift
This has zero value

Wouldn't say this mod is entirely useless. Sure, the AI will never figure out how to tap sea oil. But this can be useful in multiplayer games.

Originally posted by tjedge1
I haven't tried it, but if the coast terrain is modded in the editor to allow colonies, it should be possible.

Don't you need a road passing through the colony? Can't build roads on water. Airfields seem to have the same problem in C3C :wallbash:

Or could you build a colony on top of an airfield?

Originally posted by Lord_Azazel
if you can build cities in sea and ocean tiles, then you can build them all over the sea, its kind of arrgh...

Allow oil to appear only on LM ocean terrain. Only allow cities on the LM ocean.

Originally posted by aracuan
the first is like trading workers for sale to do the same on buy/sell weapons(very exciting!)and the second to change the rules for the scientific leader

I can't even find the scientific leader in the new editor. Just the leader. Is there a unique animation unit for the sci leader? I've never seen one appear in my games.

Worst case scenario, modify vanilla civ to include the new civilizations, new units, etc.

Trading military units sounds intruiging. Have no idea how you would do it. Its getting late where I am. Need sleep. Tomorrow morning I'll play with the editor so more.

Can you change the options for only LM Terrains? My editor allows me to set where cities can be placed, but the LM Terrain has to have the same flags.

The only scientific leader animation I ever saw was Albert Einstien.

Originally posted by Rita Poon

Wouldn't say this mod is entirely useless. Sure, the AI will never figure out how to tap sea oil. But this can be useful in multiplayer games.

Don't you need a road passing through the colony? Can't build roads on water. Airfields seem to have the same problem in C3C :wallbash:

Or could you build a colony on top of an airfield?

Allow oil to appear only on LM ocean terrain. Only allow cities on the LM ocean.

I can't even find the scientific leader in the new editor. Just the leader. Is there a unique animation unit for the sci leader? I've never seen one appear in my games.

Worst case scenario, modify vanilla civ to include the new civilizations, new units, etc.

Trading military units sounds intruiging. Have no idea how you would do it. Its getting late where I am. Need sleep. Tomorrow morning I'll play with the editor so more.

dear rita,

i have search the game just like u,when i first got the c3conquests,and there is no scientific leader unit.it has only leader,as you correct said.scientific leaders appear only when you are the first one to discover an advance.the chances of appearing a leader,are slightly increased,if you choose your civilization that has scientific abilities.because i m taking always the greeks,i was lucky once,to appear arostotitle as a scientific leader.i think that the only way to make the leaders working just like the ptw,is to tick off in the editor/units,the box which says"science age".i m not sure if this will work.
:confused:
about selling/bying weapons,this will be a tremendous achievement to anyone who manage to do this.its a shame to the"great heads"or "big brains"of this forum like steph,zulu,that they havent try or thought of it yet.selling/bying weapons i ve seen in only once,in colonization game,in amiga,in which other nations sold to you dragoons,artillery,in exchange of money.this would make the game extremely realistic,but i havent discovered anything yet.
i m working also on how to make the ai to trade and cities as well.in a world war,great european powers,offered to smaller countries some cities in exchange of following them to war.unefortunately,the ai of the computer never accepts trade for cities,even if you give him yours!if you have any idea,you,or anyone else about the things i wrote above,i would be very happy to hear it!

Can you change the options for only LM Terrains? My editor allows me to set where cities can be placed, but the LM Terrain has to have the same flags.

Ugh, can't even create LM water terrain.

Following might work for custom maps:

1-Allow oil to appear only on sea
2-Alter the appearance of "sea" to look like ocean (maybe even rename it to "Oceon")
3-Make tiny random dots of "sea" in the ocean
4-Make the rest of the water either "coast" or "ocean"

The only scientific leader animation I ever saw was Albert Einstien.

OK, thanks. At least I can find the animations now. Still can't find Albert Einstein or Science Leader in the unit editor.

i m working also on how to make the ai to trade and cities as well.in a world war,great european powers,offered to smaller countries some cities in exchange of following them to war.unefortunately,the ai of the computer never accepts trade for cities,even if you give him yours!if you have any idea,you,or anyone else about the things i wrote above,i would be very happy to hear it!

You can already trade cities, but only for peace settlements. I was beating the snot out of France, Joan of Arc was desperate to stop me. She gave me 2 cities.

In an earlier patch of the game, AI used to trade cities. But you could exploit this by trading technology for cities, then immediately attacking to take back the city. Not a good idea to put this back into the game. Human players will trade cities.

you could just make sea and ocean be able to find oil, and make a diver worker that is a sea unit, and can build roads and rails and colonies.

Blue-don't think you can build roads on water. I've tried allowing ships to build roads & flagged water to allow railroads. But there is no road flag.

A diver unit does sound interesing.

hi!i m afraid rita's right,you cant build roads over water.i ve tried it also.the only solution is a civ 4....rita can i ask you somethign else?have you noticed that the stupid ai of the computer does not use artillery units but only for defense?bad...and about the cities offering,(in our last conversation)stupid also to offer cities when the ai loses....

I know how to build roads on water. I've done it before.

In Editor:
1. Create a new Worker Unit. Make it a sea unit, NOT land.
2. Give it the ability to build roads, colonies, etc.
3. If you want to build a colony on a water square, edit the terrain, in this case we'll say Coast. Just check "Allow Colonies." Hell - just check "Allow Airfields" if you want. As long as you have a sea-based worker unit, and water squares with "Allow Colonies," your new amphibious Workers can knock themselves out building roads to colonies to Oil in the water.

Just realized that you can't have water-roads like I had in PTW. Tried it on the editor...Oh well. But I did get a city on oil. Just connect the city with a harbor to the mainland.

Please take no notice of the Government that Civfanatics.com is currently under in this picture. No Workers were harmed during the making of this photo.

have you noticed that the stupid ai of the computer does not use artillery units but only for defense?bad...and about the cities offering,(in our last conversation)stupid also to offer cities when the ai loses....

Hmmm, haven't tried this yet. Give Artillery the "capture" and "load" flags under special ability. Also give it an attack of 1, a defense of 1 & flag it for "offense" under AI strategy

Let us know how that works.

Not sure if anything can be done about cities, at least not with the editor. You could install an unpatched/early version of the game. Sorry, thats all I can think of.

Originally posted by Androrc
This sea worker could be called 'Oil Tanker'...

oogabooga is using this:

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=1081

as a freighter in his Bay Area mod. Could it work as a tanker?

Originally posted by trumpeteer
But I did get a city on oil. Just connect the city with a harbor to the mainland.

That can work, but like Lord_Azazel said:

Originally posted by Lord_Azazel
theres one thing, if you can build cities in sea and ocean tiles, then you can build them all over the sea, its kind of arrgh...

Originally posted by Androrc
I think you have to make the terrain give +commerce with road... have you done that?

Yes! Yes! Yes! You magnificent bastard! It works now! Thank you! Thank you everyone in here for keeping this post alive! :worship:

Now there are just 2 concerns I have:

1-How will AI use this?
2-How will the +1 commerce bonus in water affect games? We can offset this by giving coast a commerce value of 1 instead of the default 2.

1-How will AI use this?
2-How will the +1 commerce bonus in water affect games? We can offset this by giving coast a commerce value of 1 instead of the default 2.

1-Just give the 'Oil Tanker' all normal worker functions, and then give it 'Terraform' in AI Strategies. Since it doesn't give +food or +shields, it won't be able to build mines or irrigation. Also, since all the 'Allow X' are disabled(except for colonies of course) it won't be able to build anything else. The only problem is that it might be able to build barricades because I don't know if the 'Allow Forts' includes it.

2-Yes, that would be a good option. Though it would make for most of the game water give only 1 commerce.

Hmmm, haven't tried this yet. Give Artillery the "capture" and "load" flags under special ability. Also give it an attack of 1, a defense of 1 & flag it for "offense" under AI strategy

Let us know how that works.

Not sure if anything can be done about cities, at least not with the editor. You could install an unpatched/early version of the game. Sorry, thats all I can think of.

oogabooga is using this:

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=1081

as a freighter in his Bay Area mod. Could it work as a tanker?

That can work, but like Lord_Azazel said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! You magnificent bastard! It works now! Thank you! Thank you everyone in here for keeping this post alive! :worship:

Now there are just 2 concerns I have:

1-How will AI use this?

hi rita,
i have followed your advice in order the ai to use the artillery units.i have changes the rules of artillery units:i gave all(catapults,artillery,cannons)attack 1,defense 1,but i gave them capture ability,so that i could gave them the offense ability.now i m waiting to see the results,and i will inform you,cause i have just started a new game with this included.hear now something intresting:in my new scenario,i have put almost in every unit build from the discovery of nationalism and beyond,to cost -1 in cities population.for example,if a city produces infantry unit,it will loses -1 from the population.this,in my opinion makes the game more realistic,because you cant build all over the time units consisted of people(conscription),without having enough population to do this.so population is playing a great role now.other units that costing -1 are battleships,heavy cruisers,carriers,e.t.c.

Top Bottom