Colanies

Phoenix

Creating Scenarios
Why even bother with colanies!:mad:

I like colanies but I feel that in CivIII that are fundamentaly flawed.:rolleyes: Why bother wasting your time building colanies and then the roads to them when a rival civs settler can then just come along and tell you to shift pronto! You might as well just build a settler and claim the land as your own for once and for all.:goodjob:

I like colanies 'cause they add an extra dimension to the game but I will only use them if somebody makes a patch to make it so that the rival civs settler problem is fixed. My suggestion would be that they cannot be destroyed by anything other than military action. However they cannot be set up inside a rival civs boarders with out causing a war. :goodjob:

there useful for building when you don't have any settlers handy and the resource/luxury is a long way away so you can still get the thing then when you have a settler built you can send it away to the colonie

I guess you're right why build them. Send settlers and build a town on it with some walls and defenders!! Even if the town is not productive, it still provides that resource (if its connected) and may require a harbor or airport also. Sometimes I've had seen the AI use colonies. What did I do? You guessed it. I plopped a settler down and told them to hit the road. Yes I am spiteful at the AI. They ***** when I enter their territory but when I say keep out they ignore me totally. If they tell me to get out I should be able to tell them right?

Do unto the AI before it does unto you.

Originally posted by AceDragon
Do unto the AI before it does unto you.

Can I use that as my sig?:D

I agree with Pheonix that colonies should never dissolve without actually being attacked. I use colonies a lot after the ai's devastate each other and leave large swaths of territory unclaimed. I can't be bothered with building up a new city in modern era. If an ai is rude enough to plant a city next to a colony I order it to hand the city over to me and I don't move the unit I had defending the colony. Of course this results in war and the ai pays the bill due. I believe 3 razed cities is due payment for such an act. Oh well, they asked for it right?

The colonies could have some abilities that would increase there value a lot.

First of all they need some culture, in this case they cannot be overcultured by the ai city's. Besides that i would like to see airports and harbors in them, and that they can be build anywhere. In stead of being a colony, it could also become a millitary base for instance. This would add a whole new dimension to the game....

Originally posted by Stravinski
The colonies could have some abilities that would increase there value a lot.

First of all they need some culture, in this case they cannot be overcultured by the ai city's. Besides that i would like to see airports and harbors in them, and that they can be build anywhere. In stead of being a colony, it could also become a millitary base for instance. This would add a whole new dimension to the game....

Perhaps they could have the same characteristics as cities but be limited to size one or two. They could still be built by workers but they would have a city charactoristic so they couldn't be overrun so easily. Also this would give the possiblity of using a settler later on, to merge with the colony to turn it into a proper city...

Colonies can totally change the nature of a game! For example, I was playing the Iroquios (standard map, emporer) and by the time I got to Chivalry I had a ton of Mounted Warriors waiting to upgrade to knights but I had no iron. All my workers were busy building a road to the only iron I could get to and just in the nick of time, they completed the road, laid down a colony, allowed me to upgrade all my units and continue conquest!!! I think colonies were designed to be a "quick fix" to allow you to get that desperately needed resource (luxury or strategic) quickly so you can take your time building a settler to properly claim the land. Normally I will sacrifice a worker to build a colony to a lux resource early in the game. One extra happy citizen can make a huge difference at Emporer or even Monarch.

Top Bottom