1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Collective Activism (and also the rest of the diplo cards)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Archon_Wing, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I think I've generally made a point that IMO, Diplomatic cards just aren't that great. But let's pick on one lately, which I've found has absolutely no purpose besides making the numbers on my screenshots look bigger.

Collective Activism

+10% Culture per city-state you are the Suzerain of.

Now, this is actually a really huge bonus. If you are Suzerain of 3 city states, that's already a 30% culture boost. But there's just one problem with it....

I mean, what great civics you have to look forward to after Social Media? Social Media leads to.....

Future Civic?

They basically put a big culture boost at the end of the tree but you can't really use it. Yes, you can use it to pick up the last few civics, but if you're headed at Social Media, you're probably ending the game with Online Communities. You could in theory beeline it but that would just make things more expensive to begin with. But I suppose this is an effect of the culture tree being much more simple than the science one is.

Naturally, this is drastically inferior to its relative, the International Space Agency, but that card is more justified because reaching the end of the culture tree doesn't mean you don't need science.

I think what Collective Activism should do is to turn your cultural output into something else, to serve as a final use for it.

Of course, this is hardly the only green card that doesn't pull its weight. For a good chunk of the game you have Charismatic Leader and the 2 for 1 policy, but these are only serviceable just because there's literally nothing else to take. I was thinking we need a card in between the +2 envoy points and the +4 one. But then the CSs will probably get invaded anyways, so 1 or 2 envoys every now and then doesn't mean anything.

The spy ones are actually really good, but it's quite divided, as there's 3 of them. I don't actually have a problem with that.

Merchant Confederation is also solid, as it serves as the first quick boost of GPT you can get in the game.

And then we have Raj which gives you the amazing value of like 1/3 of a trade route if you become Suzerain and Arsenal of Democracy which is actually a wonderful card since it encourages alliance formation even if it's very situational

Containment is a very sick card as it means you can snatch away nearly everyone's City States if you are a contrarian. Probably the most impactful card for me, though I imagine by Cold War most people here are already packing up, so.....

And then we're already out of cards. That's basically it. Well, Rise and Fall gave us a card I've never heard of until right now Communications Office which gives an amazing 1 loyalty per governor promotions. Because you're totally going to use your best governors as loyalty maintainers.

Well, actually they're not really that awful, but rather limited in scope. There's little that feels "diplomatic" about most of these besides the spy and alliance ones, and those all come very late in the game.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I’ve never looked at Collective Activism before. I guess it could help defend against someone else’s Culture Victory? Or maybe complete Future Civics faster for more Governors? They’re both edge cases, and probably better ways to do both.

So, yeah. Stupid card.

Maybe Communications Office will be more useful with the next expansion, assuming we get Ideologies and these impact loyalty?

...honestly, this is why I’ve stopped playing. Not out of spite, anger or frustration (I’ve none of the first two, and not that much of the last really). It’s just hard to see the point of investing in a game, learning its rules, when it’s waiting for a massive balance exercise and the back two thirds of the game seem to be missing.

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

Good analysis.

The Spy cards are likely the most useful ones, but the AI is as hopeless at espionage as it is at everything else. That makes fending it's Spies off easy (they're not likely to randomly select a mission that's actually dangerous to you anyway), and using Spies against the AI is as boring as using Knights to beat it up and take it's lunch money.

As a result, I tend to run the Merchant Confederation policy regularly.

acluewithout likes this.