College Football In Season Thread

USC, where mediocre coaches go to look alot better than they actually are? Kiffin's strength is recruiting, just like Carroll's was.

And Saban's. And Miles'. I think recruiting is always going to be more important than coaching at the college level, but keep in mind 1) the coaches know a lot more about recruiting than the recruiting services do and 2) coaching up the guys you get may not always be enough, but it's still indispensable . . .

Saban being Saban at the SEC meetings in Destin this week. I love it . . .

This is sort of a fun discussion that's going on within the SEC right now about whether inter-divisional games should count less than intra-divisional games when determining the East and West representatives in the SEC title game. It has no real chance of gaining traction, but there are some fun parallels to be drawn between this discussion and the conference champs vs. best four teams discussion that is being had in the national title playoff debate right now . . .

Saban and Miles are also excellent tacticians and at player development. That's what separates an elite coach from say, Ron Zook or Houston Nutt.

OSU is facing another dozen secondary violations...but when you look at the list, they're all beyond stupid, petty things. The NCAA makes Congress look good.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2012/5/25/3042990/osu-secondary-violations-update-5-25

Baseball – A prospective student-athlete in grade 12 registered and showed up for an Ohio State camp for participants in grades 9-11 even though he was told he was not eligible to compete at the camp. A t-shirt was given to the individual to defuse the situation when he got upset that he couldn’t compete

Football-The compliance office approved the use of mini basketballs during a football winter conditioning workout

The audacity.

Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed that your modest proposal was entirely serious. :p I'm not really well-informed in the world of college football but it's definitely an interesting idea.

The MWC and CUSA have ambitions to usurp the Big East, or at least win an AQ status. Why would they want to become a feeder league?

Given that the teams would move around, I'm not sure that it would make sense to keep referring to the leagues as separate entities.

First, I want to say that I'm not commenting on the Auburn tragedy because this is a sports thread, and that is a life event. I'm an Alabama fan first, an Auburn fan second, a West fan third and an SEC fan the rest of the way.

Life aside, this is just funny. AJ McCarron and the honey badger going at each other via twitter. I remember this kind of crap locally in the newspaper during my high school days, and it was both fun and motivational. But I sort of hoped they'd grow out of it or be restricted from it in college. More of an NFL feel than I would like . . .

I hate twitter so much.

w@ ab u guys? #cfc

:dunno: It's like texting. I don't particularly like it, but if I want to communicate with anyone under 30, I have to use it . . .

Also, Auburn shooter has turned himself in.

Playoff farther away today than it was yesterday :( Linky
OTOH, if y'all just want to keep letting us win every year, :dance:

Y'all's :dance still sucks, btw . . .

I swear I will boycott college football this year if the playoff falls through.

:lol: Don't get too excited. Remember, we've still got two seasons of the BCS left no matter what they decide. All that's really happened is that now it seems pretty unlikely that there will be an agreement in place this month, which everyone was hoping for after the Florida meetings. AFAIK, the Big Ten is the only conference still pushing for the status quo, and I think they understand that it isn't a very realistic position . . .

C'mon. Nobody cares? Really? Y'all are going to be all worked up about this on 1/1/15, you can't give me a little vitriol now, just to get the juices flowing . . ?

Yay! Now a couple of years of this and they can start getting their 12-16 team playoff system in order ;) .

Top Bottom