1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Collossus wont build..plz help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by King Flevance, Nov 12, 2005.

1. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I had to take some screen shots to show first hand what is going on.

#1 is a picture of my city showing I am in the Classical Era.
    #2 is a picture of my city status screen

Please help. This game I went all or nothing with the collossus as the backbone for a huge military campaign pumping out Great Merchants to fund it. I will probably have to restart from where I am sitting but I would like to know the x factor of this equation before trying to rely on it again.

Merchants are so hard to get early on. :(

2. Corlindale

Corlindale Emperor

The only two non-bug explanation would be that either someone else has already built it, or the body of water your city is at is actually an abnormally large lake(very unlikely, I know...).
    Might be a bug.

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Did you build a forge? You have to have a forge to build the Collosus. You also need copper I believe.

4. DisruptiveIdiot

DisruptiveIdiot Prince

Copper just makes it build faster, you do need a forge however.

5. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

The city screen shows a forge (just finished it) and there is copper to the west that I am mining (have to look for it, all my tiles show food)

The Civilopedia says something about must be built from the Classical Era or earlier. Thought that was kind of odd but I met the reqs.
    It hasnt been built yet that I remember, I am usually pretty good about watching for whats been built. I will check that out, I was thinking it was a bug myself. I am the only person I have met that has any techs over 1000 beakers. The comp has been taking the usual route on discovering techs. It is on Emperor difficulty and I know there is no way I will live without it now as I based the whole game off of getting it, and in that particular city/tile too. :cry:

6. Corlindale

Corlindale Emperor

He has built a forge, as you can see in his city screen.

7. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

You've got a forge, which was the first explanation I thought of and as far as I know there's no wonders that have to be built before a certain time. I think this has to be a bug, but what would be worth checking is the mouseover text for the Colossus in the city screen. It should show in red anything that you need and haven't got.

There's one wonder which I've had trouble building, which is the space elevator. It often doesn't seem to be available in some of my cities, so unless it has some requirement that isn't listed then it suffers from a similar bug.

It's a pity if you're relying on the Colossus, as it is very useful. Presumably you have a great engineer or something to build it, since this city will take a long time even with copper?

8. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Yeah I have a engineer ready in the city. But in Screeny 2 you can see that there is no collossus in there as a choice to build. :( I scrolled my improvements to 'Wonders' All I have is a greyed out Hanging Gardens because of no aqueduct.
    I bet it is a bug. I know its the ocean because there is tundra right by the city and I have explored alot of the continent.

9. AER

AER Chieftain

Is there a way to check and make sure another civ hasn't built a wonder, other than painstakingly examining a log or relying on the available options in a city?

10. incubuspawn

incubuspawn Warlord

the era it must be built in I think is geared more for those games where you start in a later era. And I dont think you can build anything once it is obsolete.

11. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

I think if you go F9 and choose Top 5 cities you can see all the wonders built

12. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I was thinking the same, but didn't have the time to check whether wonders built by civs you don't have contact with yet actually show up there. I'll check that in my next game, which - given my current state of Civ addiction - will start very soon. ;)

13. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

This is referring to the starting age when you set-up the game. If you choose a Modern start, you will not be able to build the Colossus. If you start the game in the Classical or earlier age, then you can build the Colussus assuming you have the prerequisites, nobody else has built it, and it hasn't been made obsolete already.

14. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Very unlikely, maybe - but there's actually support for that theory.

Look at the second screenshot :

Presently building : Lighthouse : 11 turns from completion.
    Present yield of the water squares : 2 food.

However, there are other oddities on that map - like a 2-food plains, and 2-food fishes - that just plain make me doubt the lake issue.

15. Scot_free

Scot_free Chieftain

He has the bug where tiles show food only (1 or 2, depending on the number of resources being produced), no matter what the actual production is. I have the same bug and have had no other play problems, such as wonders not being available.

The only possible explanations I can think of are that the Colossus is obsolete (don't think this is it cuz I think it's obsoleted with Chemistry, not a Classical era tech) or that someone else has built it.

EDIT: just checked, it's obsolete with Astronomy, not a Classical era tech either

16. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Also make sure you don't have Colossus listed on any other city's production queue.

17. snepp

snepp King

Even if it were listed in another city's prodution queue, it would still show up in this city but be greyed out.

I'm putting my money on either that body of water being a large lake rather than an ocean (though unlikely), or the Colossus has already been built (quite possible).

Any odds-makers out there? I'll put 50 gold and the fishing tech down on it. :lol:

18. mikh07

mikh07 Chieftain

lol i found it annoying as well when some wonders wouldn't build in my uber capital.. *sighs*

19. CrackedCrystal

CrackedCrystal Where am I?

I'd bet a dime to a dollar it was built elsewhere.

20. Otterbear

Otterbear Chieftain

Correct me if I'm wrong here but its my understanding that you have to have more then just one forge...you need ( I think ) 7 forges to build the Colossus.