Colonialist Legacies’ Inuit for VP

Update: 4-20b has fixed the merge error, but requires me to release a new version because the code's syntax has changed. This gives me an opportunity to re-look at the Inuksuk.

Currently, then Inuksuk can only be built in your territory, and claims all adjacent neutral tiles. I am considering adding a new ability to be built adjacent to your territory, but only claim the 1 tile it is built on. So you would have a choice: build an inuksuk inside your territory, and get the culture bomb, or build it outside your territory and get 1 fringe tile.

Thoughts?

Update: 4-20b has fixed the merge error, but requires me to release a new version because the code's syntax has changed. This gives me an opportunity to re-look at the Inuksuk.

Currently, then Inuksuk can only be built in your territory, and claims all adjacent neutral tiles. I am considering adding a new ability to be built adjacent to your territory, but only claim the 1 tile it is built on. So you would have a choice: build an inuksuk inside your territory, and get the culture bomb, or build it outside your territory and get 1 fringe tile.

Thoughts?

It all depends on the tiles on which the Inuksuk can be put on : if it can be built on tiles with resources on them, then this "outside territory" feature is interesting (well, there's also the case of obtaining a resource by accident after researching some techs), if not, then it will only be useful in case there is a very powerful tile you want as quickly as possible, but it's quite a niche case.
Two questions are important to me : can the Inuksuk be removed and, if yes, does it make the acquired tiles return to neutral ? We've already talked about it, but the fact that the UI could be abused by humans with such huge effects as culture bombs is a real concern to me.

if it can be built on tiles with resources on them, then this "outside territory" feature is interesting (well, there's also the case of obtaining a resource by accident after researching some techs), if not, then it will only be useful in case there is a very powerful tile you want as quickly as possible, but it's quite a niche case.
No, Inuksuk can't be built on resources. The only real value claiming that 1 extra tile could have, i think, is a tactical one. Maybe you need to choke an access point or extend your borders just a little bit further. It's so niche that I pushed the new version without it. It's too confusing to explain in the help text anyways.
Two questions are important to me : can the Inuksuk be removed and, if yes, does it make the acquired tiles return to neutral ? We've already talked about it, but the fact that the UI could be abused by humans with such huge effects as culture bombs is a real concern to me.
Yes, inuksuk can be removed.
No it doesn't return the tiles to neutral.
No, I don't think this is a problem.
Inuksuks can only be built on tundra/snow and take 8 turns via unmodded worker action to complete. If you are going to "walk" your borders out by building inkuksuks->removing->building 1 tile away, you can do this, but you won't be able to steal land because they only claim neutral. They only can claim tiles 1 tile away from tundra, so no other civ really cares, and the player would be spending the better part of 2 eras walking inuksuks, paying enormous sums for worker upkeep for tile improvements that they immediately destroy. In the meantime, you have no inuksuks in working distance from a city unless you double back and rebuild the things you removed, so you would be kneecapping your economy for tiles you can't use. at that rate, it would be easier/faster/more sensible to just build a settler and put a city down instead of walking your inuksuks out into the tundra.

TL;DR - Yes, you can abuse inuksuks by border walking them, but.... Why?

1. In Unatattik description it still says that it's a previous unit replacement, not crossbowman like now.
2. Fish next to ice(but not snow/tundra) don't change into seals (idk if that's a bug or feature), also capturing a foreign city dosen't convert already improved fish into seals (if it's next to tundra/snow ofc).
also small suggestion could it be possible to allow Inuit's fish boats to move through ice? Cause sometimes theres that 1 cheeky fish that's impossible to get to :D

edit. i meant allow them to end turn on ice.

1. In Unatattik description it still says that it's a previous unit replacement, not crossbowman like now.
Oops. Will fix in a later version
2. Fish next to ice(but not snow/tundra) don't change into seals (idk if that's a bug or feature), also capturing a foreign city dosen't convert already improved fish into seals (if it's next to tundra/snow ofc).
Fish next to ice is intended. Has to be snow/tundra. Only improving fish yourself triggers the conversion to seals. You can pillage the boats before you capture to remove the improvement, but you have to spend the prod/gold to improve it yourself.
also small suggestion could it be possible to allow Inuit's fish boats to move through ice? Cause sometimes theres that 1 cheeky fish that's impossible to get to :D
If you own the tile then you can move boats through ice. Otherwise no.

Update is live.
Should resolve an issue with starting locations where the mod wasn't referencing MoreLuxuries properly

Is this custom civ still compatible with the 6-2 version of VP? If yes, then I can't seem to get it to work properly.

If I install the civ with the provided modified .dll (and .xml) it seems to break my game. I can't produce anything in a city.
If I install just the civ without the modified .dll everything seems to work fine except the UA, my fish aren't getting converted to seals.

Is it something on my end and I'm just doing something wrong?

Don’t download the modified dll. The dll was a temporary fix that was incorporated into VP proper 2 versions ago. Just install it like any other mod

That's what I've tried first but my UA (the seals) doesn't seem to trigger properly as you can see in my screenshot above hence why I tried the modified .dll thinking that it might fix it.

No, the seals conversion doesn’t use the dll. I recommend a fresh install of both VP and the Inuit civ in that case. Is the inuksuk’s tile claiming ability working?

I tried to install the inuit for VP and it required from a mod that has special promotions.

I tried to install the inuit for VP and it required from a mod that has special promotions.
I've tried a fresh download and install several times now, to no avail. The Inuksuk's tile claiming ability doesn't seem to work either, same for the +1:c5production: to adjacent tundra and snow tiles.
wait, you guys are activating all parts of Vox Populi, right?
The promotion issue is because you are trying to play VP without VP’s component (7a). If nothing in the inuksuk is working then it sounds like you have deleted the custom .dll for VP, or are trying to play as the Inuit without actually activating VP component (1). Not the custom dll hungry uploaded back in March, just the normal .dll.

Lastly, are either of you trying to use the 43civ version of VP? My civs may not work with that build; it’s an entirely separate beast for normal VP

I can promise you, I played a full game as the Inuit a week ago with VP05/19, and nothing has changed since then in either mod. If you’re having these problems then you’re installing/loading something incorrectly.

Edit: post a screenshot of your modlist, please.

Last edited:
Were you playing with the 3/4 UC mod by any chance? Because I'm not. I have a suspicion that the issue is related to that. I've downloaded 3/4 UC, loaded up a game with it and everything magically started to work, including the seals and the Inuksuk.

Edit: Here is a screenshot of my full modlist (without 3/4 UC since I usually don't play with it). The last mod not shown in the screenshot is UI - Small Resource Icons (v 4).

Last edited:
I was indeed playing with 4UC. It's possible there is an error that doesn't appear unless 4UC isn't loaded. do you have logs enabled? can you attach the database logs?

Yup. There's the problem.

4UC assigns combat classes to civilian units like workers and such so that we could add promotions etc. via the traits table. When building the Inuit civ I forgot that 4UC lays that groundwork and it doesn't exist in VP.

I'll have to add that stuff to the Inuits mod or else settlers and workers won't be able to enter ice tiles. Right now, because those unitclasses aren't defined without 4UC, it causes a database loading error, and all the code beneath the table that gives the Talluk promotion is dropped.

Update: The next version of VP is going to incorporate unitcombat classes to civilian units. In the meantime, if you aren't using 3/4UC, insert this code into any .sql file and the Inuit should work:
Code:
--Assigns UnitCombatInfos to civilian units -- Can now grant production bonuses and free promotions via buildings, traits and policies
INSERT INTO UnitCombatInfos     
            (Type,                    Description)
VALUES        ('UNITCOMBAT_SETTLER',    'Settler Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_WORKER',    'Worker Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_WORKBOAT',    'Workboat Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_CARGO',    'Cargo Ship Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_CARAVAN',    'Caravan Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_INQUISITOR',    'Inquisitor Units'),
    ('UNITCOMBAT_MISSIONARY',    'Missionary Units');

UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_SETTLER' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_SETTLER';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_SETTLER' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_PIONEER';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_SETTLER' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_COLONIST';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_WORKER' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_WORKER';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_WORKBOAT' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_WORKBOAT';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_CARGO' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_CARGO_SHIP';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_CARAVAN' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_CARAVAN';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_INQUISITOR' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_INQUISITOR';
UPDATE Units SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_MISSIONARY' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_MISSIONARY';

7-17 is live now, so the above post is no longer necessary.

v7 is live:
Code:
Unique promotions, courtesy of Asterix Rage
Missionaries and inquisitors can now enter Ice Tiles

The Inuksuk is a Unique Improvement, so should be affected by the Urbanization, Five Year Plan, and Mobilization ideology policies, no? I've added the following into my VPCompatibility.sql file:

Code:
INSERT INTO Policy_ImprovementYieldChanges
    (PolicyType, ImprovementType, YieldType, Yield)
VALUES
    ('POLICY_FIVE_YEAR_PLAN', 'IMPROVEMENT_INUKSUK', 'YIELD_PRODUCTION', 1),
    ('POLICY_URBANIZATION', 'IMPROVEMENT_INUKSUK', 'YIELD_FOOD', 2),
    ('POLICY_MOBILIZATION', 'IMPROVEMENT_INUKSUK', 'YIELD_SCIENCE', 3);

Top Bottom