1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies’ Inuit for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Apr 4, 2019.

1. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

i think people can and should these or other smcustom civs in any number and arrangement they want. So no, I hadn’t meant for people to use this content as a matched set.

updating a mod pack is rather daunting as a proposition. VP compatibility updates and bug fixes affect each civ differently, and maintaining a mod pack would more than double my workload. I’m not keen on that prospect right now.

2. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Super noob question, but do I just add these additional civs as a folder in the mods folder or how do I use them? :crazyeye:

3. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

4. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Roger! Thanks for the super fast reply :)

5. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

This works excellently on a generated map with a lot of snow and tundra and an AI set to Inuit. No more can you say that cold land is desolate and inhospitable to all, not even in reality is it. A modern Siberian take is the Oymyakon folks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oymyakon
    Spoiler :

6. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Not Sure if I did something wrong in the installing process. All I did was extract the contents from a compressed zip folder as a folder to my MODS folder for Civ V.

So it's an extremely small issue from what I can see. To clarify I do NOT have 3UC or 4UC installed. Whenever I start in the ancient era and only the ancient era as the Inuit, instead of receiving a pathfinder, I will instead receive a Qamutiik.
    Here is my load order for reference. Maybe this has something to do with the sql file? Otherwise everything else in the mod basically works as intended.

Edit: No idea how to put a screenshot here correctly but w/e. ALSO I tried removing stuff related to the Qamutiik in the sql file and it kind of worked. But now instead of spawning a pathfinder and a settler, it does 2 settlers. So I'm gonna have to figure out how to fix that if it is even an easy fix or not. Woops? But I'm getting somewhere at least.

Edit 2: Alright so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sql but the Inuit relocation lua itself, guess i'll try and see how I can mess around with it to fix the issue.

Final Edit: ALRIGHT I FIXED IT. Turns out the Inuit relocation lua has a function right at the end of it designed to replace the starting pathfinder with a Qamutiik.

P.S. Gonna give myself a pat on the back for this cause I know practically next to nothing about programming currently.

P.S.S. This is a small oversight by Pineapple so I would recommend fixing it for those not using 3UC or 4UC, or just pinning how to fix that issue for other people interested in downloading.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  7. ryanmusante

@pineappledan To force recon for Qamutiik (pathfinder replacement) is this correct?
    Code:
    UPDATE Units SET RivalTerritory = '1' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_CLINUIT_QAMUTIIK';  
    Reason that I want to change this for myself is because:

<Unit_FreePromotions> appears as a promotion icon, whereas <Units><Update> doesn't.
    <Unit_FreePromotions> doesn't affect existing units, whereas <Units><Update> does.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

When you deleted the qamutiik, but the lua function that gives you a free qamutiik was still firing, then the game didn't have any unit to give you, so it defaulted to unitID = 0, which is a settler.
    Not an oversight, there's an entire function checking if (not) playing with 4UC. That's that this entire thing is:
    Code:
    function UsingMUCfVP()
        local isUsingMUCfVP = false

for _, mod in pairs(Modding.GetActivatedMods()) do
            if (mod.ID == "259c3593-34dd-4fdd-bd7d-8ed67cc0797c") then
                isUsingMUCfVP = true
                break
            end
        end
        return isUsingMUCfVP
    end

If you are getting a qamutiik even without activating 4UC, then this function is returning true, even without 4UC installed.

I'm glad you managed to find a fix for yourself though.
    Seems fine.

SolutionIt likes this.
  9. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Thanks for the explanation, all it really was that caused the issue was at the very end of the Inuitrelocation lua where it tries to replace the pathfinder with a qamutiik instead. I figured the first part with the settler had something to do with that but I didn't really know how to explain it in layman terms. Do you know why even though the function is working correctly though is still brings the qamutiik out? I'm assuming I probably already figured that out myself with what I did but there could be more to it?

Anyway I'm also trying out some of the other recommended civs for VP. I can say with confidence the Inuit feels pretty tame after playing for about 270 turns with them on deity standard. It really feels like you take pieces from Indonesia's luxury monopolies, Polynesia's early exploration, and India's city growth potential. From what I can tell so far it seems like the only weakness they really come across is where they get forced to start since if they face any issues with having diverse luxury resources or just plain old resources which can backfire hard if you take advantage of their UA far too quickly. I basically got lots of unhappiness quickly for being too overconfident on being isolated for the first 100 or so turns, so it took me a while to basically stabilize that. Anyways don't be surprised to see me post in some of your other threads!

10. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

I think the Igloo and the UI are both good and seems well balanced, and the seal thingy is super strong (you get so much culture from it, the best yield). The qamatik or w/e is nice but I am not a big fan of the -1 range of the other UU, haven't tried it out too much yet though. Should you treat it as a melee unit instead?

11. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I would think the similarity is greatest with Brazil. They have the earliest UI in the whole game, with a massive bonus to tile sprawl. I'm glad you're enjoying it
    Yeah they function as a melee unit most of the time. The -1 debuff would be too powerful otherwise. I have had some good fun with them , because their -1 range/+25% defense carries over into later eras. the potential with cover fire on gatling/machine guns is quite impactful.

12. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

It is kind of annoying though if you build an army of archers or comp bows, because you cant skip the unattatik upgrade (right?) so all of them will be 1 range for the rest of the game until the range upgrade. They feel bad but I havent used them enough yet I guess.

13. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Yup! They excel in rough terrain, where range is often limited to 1 tile anyways. In forest/hill, they can often reach enemies that a normal crossbow couldn’t because they ignore terrain, so there’s a lot of trade off with the unaak. You can usually reach a battlefield fast with them, but once you’re there you can’t just perch them on a hill like you could with a normal crossbow. They have to get down in the thick of it, but they have more defense than most melee units of the same tech level, combined with no return damage in ranged attacks makes them a formidable frontline scrapper

14. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Is there a GitHub repo for this civ? I found a bug and have one suggestion:
    • bug: the Unatattik states in its unit description that it replaces the Composite Bowman, when actually replacing the Crossbowman
    • suggestion: add the OrderPriority attribute to PROMOTION_UNAAK_ON_UNIT with value '10' and the same attribute with value '30' to PROMOTION_UNAAK so they behave like the other plague / plague placer promos within PFEUI4VP (I missed these for the update)
    Also, those dogs look eerily like cows :lol:

Edit: as I'll be updating PFEUI4VP again soon due to changes to UnitPanel.lua in VP you don't have to bother with the OrderPriority after all, as I'll just include those promos in the update.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    ryanmusante likes this.
  15. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Has anyone been having issues with the Inuit spawning their first settler at the top or bottom of the map's borders? It basically cuts your capital in half.

Also I've been playing this civ for a month now and my opinion hasn't changed too much since they're from what I understand meant to consistently spawn in snow and tundra which isn't exactly amazing until you get to trapping. But I do have a small suggestion.

I've found situations where the first settler just spawns next to either too much snow, or too much ice, or both. Without access to the inuksuk in trapping they can't really put laborers on the snow, and the ice isn't even workable. I don't know if the code could be improved for where and how it spawns the settler, but is there a way to add to the UA a production bonus to the city depending on how much ice is claimed in its borders? I don't really think it would make them broken for the most part either since ice is very undesirable to settle anyway, and unlike snow it isn't workable.

In the situation of the snow I know that deer is spawned near the capital consistently, but they don't get shown until trapping is unlocked so it doesn't help alleviate that problem either. Maybe guarantee that the deer also have forests where they spawn so the snow tile is workable? I know that with the reforestation mod snow tiles can be made workable with a forest placed on them so it shouldn't be an issue.

16. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

just reroll, my dude. The tundra start bias only works partially, and rarely puts you on coast, so the start bias is done via lua. It's not going to work all that well because Inuit are so hard-focused on tundra starts and their biases aren't integrated perfectly into the game.

SolutionIt likes this.
  17. ryanmusante

I just create ice age maps to mimic the feel of Frostpunk. It's sure to give Inuit a good starting location somewhere.

18. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

I ended up messing around with the code for a good 8 hours and doing trial and errors and eventually got it to something I like by putting really strict parameters on the tile types and amounts. I've been having way less bad spawns consistently, but honestly I don't think there is a good way to set that up to work for any type of map.

Anyways on rare occasions if it can't find any good spot to place them it'll just place them where there is space which can be in the middle of the map with grasslands, plans, etc., which tbh isn't even necessarily a bad thing if you want the capital to at least have a good start.

If anyone is interested in the changes I did let me know. It's definitely sloppy code but I'm not exactly knowledgeable of how to do this stuff. On a side note is there a specific program language meant to modify files without breaking them? Been meaning to do some edits to more world wonders expanded but the moment i change one thing in the SQL all the wonders break in-game for older versions of VP and in newer ones it doesn't seem to work.

19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

20. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Sure! Just keep in mind I only ever play on the huge map type which is why it is likely the parameters work better on that map size. If I knew how to define the map size settings I would actually go through the trouble of setting up if else statements for each map size. Anyways I specifically play on Tectonics which is probably another issue since it tends to spawn long winding rivers with tundra tiles next to it. Since I knew that was commonplace my parameters reflect counting more for othertile types over snowtiles.

I was also confused by the notile parameter but I assumed that was for the bottom and top half of the map where there are no actual tiles. On top of other minor details that I had to go and make assumptions about. I see that the very good rpactice of describing huge blocks of code was there, but nothing for explaining what things like range mean as an example so I had to make assumptions on it too. Anyways here is the code:

if waterplots >= 6 then //I wanted to make it a little more likely to spawn on small snowy islands towards the top or bottom of the maps since they're surrounded by water, but prevent the Inuit from spawning on a single tile.
    print("This is a bad plot because it's too wet!")
    return false
    end
    if (iceplots > 2) then
    print ("This is a bad plot because there's too much ice!")
    return false
    end
    waterplots = 0
    iceplots = 0
    range = 4 //I'm assuming this had something to do with checking the overall area the settler spawns in by the counting the tiles up to a range of 4 by where it decided to spawn the settler. I put it up to 4 btw.
    for dx = -range, range do
    for dy = -range, range do
    local SpecificPlot = Map.PlotXYWithRangeCheck(x, y, dx, dy, range)
    if SpecificPlot then
    if (SpecificPlot:GetTerrainType() ~= nil) and (SpecificPlot:GetTerrainType() ~= TerrainTypes.NO_TERRAIN) then
    if SpecificPlot:GetTerrainType() == TerrainTypes.TERRAIN_SNOW then
    snowplots = snowplots + 1
    elseif (SpecificPlot:IsWater()) then
    waterplots = waterplots + 1
    elseif (SpecificPlot:GetFeatureType() == GameInfoTypes.FEATURE_ICE) then
    iceplots = iceplots + 1
    else
    otherplots = otherplots + 1
    end
    else
    noplots = noplots + 1
    end
    end
    end
    end
    if not InvalidInuitStart(pPlot, pPlayer) then
    print("Someone is in this plot")
    return false
    elseif noplots > 1 then //As mentioned before. Was initially there but i changed it to 1 instead of 2 previously. I'd like an explanation of what noplots exactly means though.
    print("This is a bad plot because there's too much nil around it!")
    return false
    elseif waterplots >= 6 then //Duped the code here just in case.
    print("This is a bad plot because it's too wet!")
    return false
    elseif iceplots > 2 then //Duped the code here just in case.
    print ("This is a bad plot because there's too much ice!")
    return false
    elseif snowplots > 16 then //This was placed here to prevent the start from being on a continent where everyone is present and there is space for the Inuit not to start at the bottom or top half of the map on an area where there is too much snow which can prevent ruin spawns, lack early game resources to improve, or effectively screwing over the capital from having any workable tiles. It is still a lenient requirement since it still searches for a snowy area. I also found this prevented me spawning at the map border more often on these big continents since the snow would be in high numbers. *Everyone gets meh starts sometimes, it is reasonable*
    print("This is a bad plot because there's too much snow or it spawned at the map border most likely!")
    return false
    elseif (snowplots < 8) and (otherplots < 30) and (otherplots >= (snowplots + iceplots * 2)) and (waterplots >= (iceplots * 2)) then //Most changes were here. Added 2 parameters for otherplots to allow for a mix of snow and (most likely) tundra. I made iceplots be * 2 instead of *3 to compensate for maps where ice spawns in vast amounts. The specific part boils down to the max amount of snow near the capital allowed being 7 or less. I do believe it doesn't outright invalidate the previous code since it is searching for a specific patch within the previous area already found that has enough workable tiles in it. Otherplots is meant to be 29 or less to compensate for the very border of where snow and tundra (most likely) starts since that tundra might also mix with other tiletypes on certain map settings.
    print("This is a good plot!")
    return true
    else
    print("This is a bad plot because it is a poor spawn location.")
    return false
    end
    end

P.S. How to condense that into a spoiler?