Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP

The Colonial Capitalism promotion is not added via lua, but I take you meaning. I have fixed that and will re-upload soon
OK, I must continue ma game without this advantage :)

The unit is added with no error when I tried it with 4UC. The SQL checks if the Teutonic order exists as a value in the game (it's exclusive to 4UC germany). If Teutonic Order exists, then 4UC is installed, so the UNIT_JFD_GE_EXPEDITIONARY is added as well.
I don't yet understand all the subtleties of SQL and LUA. I just learned something again, thank you very much.

That's a strange occurence, with the Avro Arrow... I'll see if I can replicate that, but I haven't had that issue in my own game
I play with others mods, perhaps a problem of compatibility.

Thank you for your response, I corrected my version with your modifications (exception of Colonial Capitalism). I go back to my game :thumbsup:

Why Salmon Arm, as opposed to maybe Kamloops or even Banff?
Just added as a nod to how Medicine Hat was added because it has a great name. But both Salmon Arm and Medicine Hat could be replaced with Kamloops and Red Deer, respectively, as they're larger and more important (or if there's no limit to list size they could be added in anyways)

Just added as a nod to how Medicine Hat was added because it has a great name. But both Salmon Arm and Medicine Hat could be replaced with Kamloops and Red Deer, respectively, as they're larger and more important (or if there's no limit to list size they could be added in anyways)
If that’s the case, maybe I should have put Skookumchuk and Dildo in the city list...

Last edited:
@pineappledan Just curious about how the AI interacts with Canada's DoF ability. Does it know it will gain a delegate if we befriend each other? I was also wondering how competent the AI will be with Canada, or if it should only really be used by a human player.

The AI doesn’t know it will get a vote if it befriends Canada, but canada’s AI has a low aggression, and high priority for being friendly, or at least neutral. They should be fine in that respect. The tile claims on internal TRs and the Fort garrison bonuses are both things the AI doesn’t understand. Granted, the AI will know to put dudes in forts anyways, but they won’t know to fit their lands with forts.

The UBs and UUs will be totally fine, however. Canada will be able to use CdB, HBC, and the 4UC stuff just great.

So in summary: for a custom civ, it’s not great. Sumer is the best for AI integration; canada’s not terrible though.

Couple things from my initial thoughts after playing through aboooot 75% of my first game. Do not take any of this as criticism really, just pointing a few observations out, but overall I'm definitely impressed, satisfied, and have enjoyed getting to finally play with Canada.

To take advantage of the trade route border aspect of the UA, you obviously want to get some caravans online asap (which I did). Canada is basically default Progress, and a lot of my initial cities were close enough that I really didn't feel much of a bonus aside from picking up a few inconsequential tiles. I did get one ITR online a bit later - heading towards my most forward settled city - that picked up a few tiles through the middle of my territory, but nothing special. This aspect of the UA is definitely situational, but I could see instances where it could be applied and be useful. Because Canada is also probably going Statecraft 90% of the time, I also began focusing my TR towards CS when the time came, so the ITR aspect was slightly underwhelming and came and went pretty quick.

Of course with the AI not knowing about the added delegate for friendship, it generally plays out like any other game where you can end up with a couple friendships if you go out of your way. So maybe 2/3 extra votes on a standard game. No qualms about this really, and I can see this being more of a factor if playing with more than 8 civs.

Hudson's Bay Company is legit.

CdB are awesome, but the micro really does kill gameplay. I was spamming them bad boys with a bonus (so +37 influence), but it's just crazy when you micro 5-10 of them every turn for 50+ turns. I love that they're fun and unique, but it's the nature of the unit I guess and it is what it is. I was also disappointed to realize that because they are an explorer replacement, you can't buy them in landlocked cities without a harbour.

As mentioned, policy wise you're most likely going Progress / Statecraft, but for my final tree I could not resist the urge to try something new. I decided to dip into Imperialism and grab Colonialism. The synergy with my monopolies from Statecraft, and the boost to my forts and citadels was something I could not pass up. I'm finishing up with a few Industry policies before probably going Freedom. The only problem with this is that I'm probably going to want to grab Colonialism every game with Canada, therefore conceding any finisher bonuses from an Industrial tree, regardless if I go Rationalism or Industry after. I mean, I could technically just stay with Imperialism and take over the world with a bombardment of hockey pucks! Muahahaha! Tough decisions indeed.

Aside from these minor nitpicks, I really do like the uniqueness of the civ, and will continue to enjoy playing Canada in my VP experience. Thanks again, and keep up the great works!

Yay! Actual feedback!

I played to about 60% with Canada twice. The first time I got put on the far side of a mountain range from Korea and with 3 natural wonders in easy range, so that game ended up being trivial for me, so I quit. The second time I ended up on an island by myself and got thoroughly walloped by Germany. Oof. Obviously I got zero use of the land grab mechanic when I was alone on that island. I found that the land grab was really useful in my first game though. I forward settled on top of natural wonders, sent a TR out to it, then spend the next 40 turns "back-filling" that long line of tile ownership with other cities.

I think I'm going to increase the culture on the Colonial Capitalism back up to 2. It just didn't feel very impactful at 1, and it's only contributing to policy, not borders.

Yeah, I really like how Canada makes going Industry or Imperialism a really tough choice. They really aren't a big warmonger civ, but that bonus to Forts is just sooo much synergy. I think with 4UC and the unique Great War Infantry it tips to favor Imperialism. There's potential for a late-game domination spree once you have all your continents' CS allies on lockdown.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Colonial Capitalism bumped to 2.

FYI, I love the fort aspect of the civ. It really adds a new element and incentive for me because I rarely build forts when playing as other civs. By any chance, do you know if the AI considers it a worrisome or hostile act (for negative diplo modifiers) if you have all these forts along your borders with units inside them? Sometimes you'll have units lined close to AI borders and they will obviously take it as a threat and ask you to move them, but I was never exactly sure how this applied with units stationed in forts. Maybe something to ask Gazebo I guess.

I am playing it too and I dare say I am a better Pearson than all of you because I am the one warmongering. After all, the "B." in leader's name stands for "Brute", so I am clearly the one playing it right. I started close, but on another continent to the Iroquois and Russia. They're all covering their dishes with copious amounts of maple syrup now lest they face death by Lester "Bad Person" Pearson, the true king of evil and all things dastardly. Supply free units, more supply/production to build units with, faith GG access, lower unit maintenance actually make it synergise pretty nicely. I don't think I would've done anything better with progress, but I would've maybe considered Tradition. Progress seems like a bad idea for this civ.

This is the weakest early game civ. It has nothing before you get to mid-game. Even Austria with bad quests is better off. I spawned a citadel in the ancient era, put an unit on it, and it did counteract the upkeep of one unit while giving me 1 GG point, but that's not worth much. It's the worst UA in the game by far, but that is fine considering the other uniques. Delegate stuff is situational and I could see situations it'd hurt me, and internal route thing isn't useful for my gamestyle which involves shanking people multiple times until they die or submit. A shame the last part doesn't work for naval routes as that'd make an impassable line in the middle of the ocean which has no purpose but annoying others and that'd be pretty funny. I know it's for the best, though.
Anyway, it's first, true bonuses came after Hudson's was made. That's late medieval, so it's late to get someone's first true 'anything'. I did make forts before that, but that's just 1 GG point and no maintenance on an inert unit which is not all that useful. Does Hudson have the power to make up for the UA? I think so, but am not convinced. I mean, compare this to Egypt's burial tomb and consider Egypt actually has a strong early game thanks to chariot (and nilometer in 4uc). Upping the Culture on colonial capitalism to 2, which is mentioned above, might be a step in the right direction. Maybe too big a step because it's easy to spam those things, but I really don't think it'll be too much.

Hudson is a nice power up, and mah bois do deliver quite an economical punch, so things work very well anyway. I like the flavour and uniqueness of wanting to make forts and putting units on them. Making it 2 C for garrisons will be nice for when maintenance of units grows more, which is later eras. I haven't yet invented hockey and the way other continent got crippled by hotfix bug, I don't think I'll get to see the infantry either unless I delay it all on purpose.

Hudson's Culture/Gold from guys on forts has a bug by the way. The pink pop-up on the right will say stuff like I got 9 of each, which is impossible. Gold is twice as much. I guess it would be too much text, and the values will probably all be 18 in the future version if I read the above stuff right, so that'll fix itself. I don't think that'll be imbalanced because of how little the civ has to get them here.
In addition, there's no way to check how much gold/GG points you're getting per turn. I suppose Portugal shares the problem, but in their case icons appear over where the movement was initiated. Is there a possibility of introducing something like that here or a pop-up, but without exhausting the luas or sqls or those other moddy thingies? Granted, Canada might have way more garrisoned forts/citadels than Portugal has trade routes, so it might become too cluttered even if it's those tiny icons with a number, so I don't think anything should be done.

Overall, I'm liking this civ. The way it relies on forts and citadels is pretty fun. Lovely stuff.

Yeah, I think authority is a good choice. Canada doesn’t actually benefit from city connections, but he DOES benefit from reduced unit maintenance. All those military units doing nothing in forts are contributing to intimidation scores for city states.

The gold/culture popup will get fixed when I upload a new version with 2:c5gold:/2:c5culture: on colonial capitalism.

Yeah, I think authority is a good choice. Canada doesn’t actually benefit from city connections, but he DOES benefit from reduced unit maintenance. All those military units doing nothing in forts are contributing to intimidation scores for city states.

The gold/culture popup will get fixed when I upload a new version with 2:c5gold:/2:c5culture: on colonial capitalism.
wat units offer more intimidate score if they're in forts?

No, but the UA forces you to man forts, and those fort soldiers are contributing to army size

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. When loading a game as Canada, it only shows the Hudson and The Boy icons. It doesn't display Rockey Pink and Flexing Force. They're still in civilopedia, though.

In addition, tech tree doesn't show Hudson Bay on Guilds. It is shown in the loading screen, and in the civilopedia, but it isn't shown on the tech tree.

Hello, I want to report a bug:

AI Canada's internal trade routes claimed neutral tiles not for themselves but for my Sumer empire.

There's no sign of Expeditionary Force anywhere, I was mistaken. There's only an unrelated promotion, not the unit. I checked civilopedia and it isn't there. Rifleman and Infantry both are in my canadian tree and no gunpowder unit seems to indicate there's a replacement, so it isn't replacing either. I think the unit doesn't really exist now because of a bug. That, or it just isn't on the tree nor civilopedia while the non-replaced one is, but it really exists. I will have to tech up, but on epic it'll take a long time

Suggestion - could naval units also get Colonial Capitalism/UA? There's coastal forts and citadels after all, it'd be nice if that also gave me the benefit.

Last edited:
Hello, I want to report a bug:

AI Canada's internal trade routes claimed neutral tiles not for themselves but for my Sumer empire.
i can’t view your photo. What is the TR’s destination? Is it heading to a Sumerian city, or a Canadian city?
The 4UC components aren't showing properly.
They don't appear on the civ selection, instead a jet fighter appears.
There is a secret 5th component, a unique jet fighter with +1 CS. It is specifically set to be silenced in the civilopedia and civ select screen. If you are seeing it and not the other two it might be an interaction with some UI mods you have installed.

Does the expeditionary force and hockey rink still appear in the tech tree/game when you have 4UC installed?
There's no sign of Expeditionary Force anywhere, I was mistaken. There's only an unrelated promotion, not the unit. I checked civilopedia and it isn't there. Rifleman and Infantry both are in my canadian tree and no gunpowder unit seems to indicate there's a replacement, so it isn't replacing either. I think the unit doesn't really exist now because of a bug. That, or it just isn't on the tree nor civilopedia while the non-replaced one is, but it really exists. I will have to tech up, but on epic it'll take a long time

Suggestion - could naval units also get Colonial Capitalism/UA? There's coastal forts and citadels after all, it'd be nice if that also gave me the benefit.
Naw, it should just stay on land units for flavour reasons.

Last edited:
i can’t view your photo. What is the TR’s destination? Is it heading to a Sumerian city, or a Canadian city?

No it is an internal trade route, between Canadian cities. Canadian ability is trade units claim neutral territory if they are internal trade routes. I do not know how to display picture so here is the link:

https://ibb.co/W21B1VB

Thanks, that helps a lot. I’ll alter the code on that lua in an update soon

Got to the Replaceable Parts and I can confirm this wasn't just a civilopedia bug:

-If I put cursor on replaceable parts tech in the tech tree as Canada, text says it'll unlock Foreign Legion, Expeditionary Force and building, but the icons show rifle and FL
-Civilopedia also shows no EF unit
-City screen only shows Rifleman
-I checked if it's just a bug for the two above but upgrades somehow work properly, but upgrading Fusiliers is to Riflemen, not EF

FL is better anyway so it's not an issue this game, especially since I'm at least an era above all the AIs because building both Great Library and Oracle on Emperor while having God King can cause that.

Top Bottom