1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Fair enough. Thanks again for all the work you put in here, Dan.

Can we still expect 3/4UC new version today?

*Edit: I realize we joined at similar times (although I'd been lurking here well before then), yet you have 4000 posts to my 400. Sheesh, talk about being active in the community. :goodjob:

2. gwennog

gwennog Warlord

Sorry, my English is poor, so, I adhere to your idea. :thumbsup:

OK, I still love this version of Canada a lot, I have played it many times in Progress-StateCraft-Imperialism with great pleasure.

3. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

update is live:
    Code:
     - fixed bug with DoF votes
     - Increased HBC culture bomb (forgot to increase it when instant yields on construction was reworked)
     - Increased CdB diplo mission to 30 influence

Just finished a game with Canada. It took a long time to find out that my last update had disabled the free DoF votes for Canada. It's such a small bonus that I didn't really miss it though. The tile claim on ITRs came in quite handy during my game. I claimed 3 tiles on my way to my 3rd city, then laid a road on an adjacent route over more hills and claimed an additional 3 between the same 2 cities. Overall, I claimed >10 free tiles, mostly marginal backfill tiles across deserts which the AI border blob was avoiding. This is actually pretty great for Canada, because useless desert is still fine for forts, and you don’t have to work them to get the yields.

Ended up going full axe murderer. Authority => Statecraft => Imperialism => Autocracy. China beat me to unlocking Freedom, but all the gold maintenance and upgrade cost reductions are in Autocracy anyways, so it worked out well. The -33% on purchasing units from autocracy saves >300:c5gold: on diplomats. That 1 policy pulls so much weight for a DV.

By the end I had Pentagon and was paying 1:c5gold: for unit upgrades on a massive standing army of 75:c5war: units, all with their own forts/citadels/garrisons. The :c5gold:/:c5culture: from the garrison bonuses only accounted for maybe 10% of my yield income throughout the game, but it's still a very reliable yield source. It also meant I had >20 citadels by the endgame, either through Lebensrauming/conquering other civs' or generating my own.

CdB got outstripped by Envoys a little sooner than I would like. I didn't even manage to get Summer Palace, and they still didn't feel very impactful by late Renaissance. Upping the diplo boost by a bit should help keep them a little more relevant until the scaling on Statecraft and the promotions on diplo units kick in. Still, having diplo units that have double defense while embarged was surprisingly useful in my playthrough; I would have lost 3-4 before reaching their destination otherwise.

Hockey Rink works. Period. I had the reformation that let me faith buy them, and I was able to buy 3 immediately at Radio. I stole 2 CS with the global :c5influence:boost, and further secured my existing allies in the meantime.

As someone pointed out, the Foreign legion is about on par with the Expeditionary Force. I used them interchangeably in my game, building 1 and buying the other. Worked out fairly well, but I imagine the unit would really shine in a Progress playthrough, where there's less competition from the mercenary units.

Edit: Some ides for further boosts that could be considered, I don’t mecesssarily think they are necessary though:
    • Change the DoF Delegates to double/triple delegates from Diplomats, but I would rather keep the civ the same for now, since this bonus is from the original mod.
    • Make CdB maintenance free. They were self-employed entrepreneurs, rather than military assets, and it would give you a choice unit to man forts without draining gold for maintenance at the same time. I don’t necessarily want to pigeonhole Canada’s kit like that though, and the CdB were competitors with the HBC’s factory system, rather than collaborators, so copying the unit to synergies with the HBC’s main bonus is ahistorical

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Kim Dong Un and Asterix Rage like this.
  5. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Playing a game with Pearson right now; the DoF delegates definitely doesn't feel very impactful at all, but I don't know if that's terribly important since the rest of the kit is so powerful. The passive GG generation is good; the extra citadels being used to bait the AI into declaring war they can't win is a real treat. The extra culture is good, but that extra gold from garrisons is low-key the best part; it can be channeled into more CdB, which leads to more CS gold, etc. Or just used to hurry buildings; Authority is obviously good for Canada, but all the extra gold also makes Progress very appealing, especially if you manage to get the Forbidden City. Statecraft is an obvious choice; Industry has worked well as a third tree for me--again, more gold savings from purchases.

I haven't even gotten to hockey rinks yet, but I'm already allied to every single CS in the game.

I'm not sure what you mean about "double/triple delegates from Diplomats". Do you mean two or three delegates from CS embassies? That feels very overpowered at first glance. A maintenance free CdB might make the GOLD GOLD MORE GOLD! aspect a little too overbearing.

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

7. Guynemer

Guynemer King

do... do diplomat spies grant delegates in the WC? is that a thing?

holy s*** how did i not know that

8. Kim Dong Un

But you currently don't get any extra votes for using spies as diplomats... You mean instead of getting 1 delegate in WC for every DoF? I can't recall if any other civ uses that function already (diplomats grant additional WC votes), but I like that more than the current DoF setup which is basically nonexistent. Triple would probably be a bit much, but receiving +2 votes in WC for every diplomat would be more impactful and fun because it would give some agency. The current mechanic is underwhelming and random as to how many DoF you'll have on/off over the course of a game, let alone the fact you've stated before the AI has no idea it should befriend Canada. Then there's also the fact that this version of Canada is well suited for Authority / Imperialism play, which doesn't exactly paint you in the brightest light for potential friendships...

9. Kim Dong Un

It'd be news to me as well. I think he just made a mistake, although maybe he's referring to something from the Statecraft tree that I overlooked.

10. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The ability is unlocked by the globalization tech. Each diplomat in a foreign capital gives +1 WC vote. I could change Canada so they have 1 vote per diplomat in a foreign major civ unlocked immediately.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  11. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Ahhhhh. That makes sense, and Supreme Leader Who Makes The Sun Rise And Fall said, it would be much more controllable by the player as opposed to the current extra delegate dynamic.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  12. Kim Dong Un

Hah, shows how much late-game I've played recently.

13. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Alternative votes for diplomats Canada is now up.

Note that Canadian diplomats have to have established surveillance (ie completed travelling and introductions) before they count as a vote, so you can't just switch all your spies to diplomats for a session, then switch them all back a turn later.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  14. Kim Dong Un

Sweet. Did you keep the DoF aspect from the original UA like you wanted? It'd probably be fine alongside this addition, only amounts to a couple more votes potentially. Regardless, thanks for the change!

15. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

16. JLazeZ

JLazeZ Chieftain

I've been seeing this a lot in the Lua. I'm unsure if it's normal or not.

Runtime Error: C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP\Lua/CanadianRCMPGarrison.lua:61: attempt to index local 'pPlot' (a nil value)

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

18. JLazeZ

JLazeZ Chieftain

Yup, it appears throughout the game.

19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

20. JLazeZ

JLazeZ Chieftain

Yes.

I've been doing some testing and the error only seems to pop up when Canada is an AI. It's also sometimes accompanied with "VP\Lua/CanadianBrotherhoodScript.lua:60: attempt to index local 'pCapital' (a nil value)"
    For my testing I only used VP, Quick Turns, and Canada.