Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP

I'm considering replacing the Hockey Rink with a Railway hotel. trying to think of some adequate bonuses.

my current Ideas:
  • Double the :c5culture:=>:tourism: converter for Wonders/Natural Wonders/Tiles to 50%
    • This gives a synergy with the HBC, which gives 2:c5culture:
  • Add 2:c5gold::tourism: for every Railway Station/Seaport on Empire
  • All Railway Hotels gain :c5culture: and :c5gold: equal to the highest :tourism:Tourism yield of any city if a :c5trade:City Connection exists between them.

Island cities would get shafted if I specified it having to be railroad connections. There is already an interaction with railways with the bonus to sltrain stations (which require railroads)

The building would continue to push you more wide. It also pushes CV, which without 4UC, Canada has no overt bonuses towards. It would promote having wide tourism, with a mechanic to feed off culture from your forts and spread those yields to all secondary cities

it would be an improvement over the current hockey rink, which is just a massive instant yield bomb

Thematically, it is less of a Canada meme, which is welcome. And I am an enormous hockey fan.

The culture & gold equal to the tourism of the highest connected city sounds incredibly overpowered, assuming said city is not out on an island. By the time I'd be building the Railway Hotels, my top tourism city would have, oh, let's just say A Lot of tourism; that becoming gold and culture for every city sounds like an awful lot. I think maybe +2 tourism, and culture and gold equivalent to the city's own tourism output would be a bit more balanced, but that's just eyeballing this, it may feel different in gameplay.

Hmm... How about this?
Keep base tourism from Wonders/Natural Wonders/Tiles at 25%, same as base Hotel
In addition to that, All Railway Hotels on Empire gain 25% of the highest :c5culture: Culture from Terrain of any city on empire as :c5gold:Gold and :tourism:Tourism if a :c5trade:City Connection exists between them.

So, put a lot of Culture on the map around 1 city via improvements etc. and all your other cities reap the benefit

Thematically, it is less of a Canada meme, which is welcome. And I am an enormous hockey fan.
Yeah, I don't want to say that a Hockey Rink isn't a perfectly serviceable piece of Canadiana to turn into a component, I think it's perfectly serviceable. But, the Stadium is a very late upgrade, and so the things you can do with it all have to be up-front and go out with a bang.

The Grand Railway Hotels, on the other hand, feel like a deeper cut and a bit more historic.

For the icon, the classics are Chateau Frontenac or the Banff Springs Hotel, but BSH is already a wonder in @adan_eslavo's More Wonders Mod, so that leaves Chateau Frontenac. Also, I'm leaning towards The Algonquian (bottom).
Spoiler :
833801_high.jpg
Algonquoian.jpg

I'm a massive hockey fan as well -- I'll be cheering on the Leafs tomorrow night, and am still laughing at the Oilers -- but I don't mind the proposed change to another more historic building type. It'd still augment a CV, like the Hockey Rink did, so I like that aspect.

Okay, so apparently the Frontenac is the most photographed hotel in the world, and no offense, but I've already found several pics that I'd say are better than the 2 posted (the first pic, though nice, is too similar looking to the Summer Palace icon, and the bottom pic looks too modern comparative to the historical theme you're trying to portray). I'll post a few I think could be turned into nice 'civ-ish' icons, but these are obviously all subjective, so you do what you feel is fitting for your work.

Spoiler :
Hotel1.jpg
Hotel8.jpg
Hotel3.jpg
Hotel7.jpg
Hotel2.png
Hotel4.jpg
My personal fav is the 2nd pic with the canons and Canadian flag; it even already has some paint/art filter applied to make it look 'civy'. The 4th pic would also be a very simple and effective choice IMO.

Edit: As I was compiling images, I see you already whipped up something. You can maybe take one of the images I posted and refine it over time to make it picture perfect, but the icon you just did already looks okay tbh, maybe a bit too generic, if anything.

Last edited:
Spoiler My source image :

The flag wouldn't show up because of how much I would have to shrink it down, and the cannons would be cropped out of the circular frame. full disclosure, I actually think Chateau frontenac's keep is pretty ugly, with the keep pockmarcked by those regular square windows, so I went with a perspective that masked the keep and foregrounded the outer walls

Spoiler My source image :

The flag wouldn't show up because of how much I would have to shrink it down, and the cannons would be cropped out of the circular frame. full disclosure, I actually think Chateau frontenac's keep is pretty ugly, with the keep pockmarcked by those regular square windows, so I went with a perspective that masked the keep and foregrounded the outer walls
Yeah, I gotcha, and what you chose is solid.

In terms of the building's actually effects, after playing around recently with Hinin's Ainu civ, I was thinking you could maybe tweak his feature and apply to the GRH. His UA gives cities + 1% :c5production: / :c5culture: for every tile away from the capital (max 20%), so maybe GRH could apply something similar like + :c5gold: / :tourism: % for every tile distance from capital; the further away, the higher the % boost, and bonuses could be augmented once / if a Train station / Seaport are built in the city. This would represent the spanning of the vast transit line from coast to coast, emulating how tourists were then able for the first time comfortably and efficiently venture into what was otherwise secluded distant land throughout the Pacific / Mid-West. It'd further sync with Canada's wide expansion style as well.

"If we can't export the scenery, we'll import the tourists." - Cornelius Van Horne

I like your idea, @Kim Dong Un. My 1 misgiving with it is that :tourism:/:c5gold: are global yields, and a distant city is likely to be fairly late. So a big % modifier on 0 is still 0, meanwhile the capital and your core cities are benefiting fairly little from the GRH

@InkAxis, another thing you are doing at this point is this is the building that lets you start converting :c5culture:Culture from various sources into :tourism:Tourism.
My proposal is to use the :c5trade:City Connections to multiply :c5culture:culture from tiles. So what you are doing in this time is trying to pile in :c5culture:culture on tiles in 1 city to concentrate the 25%:tourism: tourism converter, and disperse that to all other cities.
We could do this without the need for :c5trade:City connections, but I like the additional flavor it presents, and it does give us a little permission to make a very strong bonus, because there is a little counterplay (can break cities off the :c5trade:connections)

The only thing I can think of for railways is that Civilian units could somehow move even faster along them if a GRH is in a nearby city, but that sounds really hard to code satisfactorily.

Version 22 is live! Let's give this new Railroad Hotel a try.

New Railway Hotel described in the OP

You'll have to excuse me, as I had the majority of this typed out yesterday, but was unable to finish posting. You beat me to the punch with a new version already, so feel free to disregard, but I'd still like to give some more input.
another thing you are doing at this point is this is the building that lets you start converting :c5culture:Culture from various sources into :tourism:Tourism.
My proposal is to use the :c5trade:City Connections to multiply :c5culture:culture from tiles. So what you are doing in this time is trying to pile in :c5culture:culture on tiles in 1 city to concentrate the 25%:tourism: tourism converter, and disperse that to all other cities.
Behold, in all it's glory, the megalopolis of Ottawa! In all seriousness though, I'm actually not a big fan of this because it feels like it's pushing tradition/tall/GPTI synergy when this Canadian kit favours more wide/progress/authority style.

Now, I see you've already simplified the yields by stacking for every GRH constructed, and that's more than adequate, but in regards to my last idea, what if instead of % modifiers it was just flat yields based on relative distance to closest owned city? This way, cities benefit similarly with relatively consistent yields, and you still get the unique feeling of distant 'scenic' cities (your secluded "Banff"s of the world) bringing in bigger yields. One of the main appeals of Canada's beauty is that it's so widespread, so I thematically like the feel of a bigger conversion across any/all cities, as opposed to overloading culture into a single city, a la tradition capitals / base Smithsonian -- though, being from Toronto, there's plenty of its citizens that definitively consider it the centre of the universe... I also don't understand why you included a Great Work % boost.

Lastly, I agree that it'd be awesome and super unique to actually have rails factor in somehow using the building, though you have way more knowledge on how feasible anything is in that regard, and as you said, the coding could become quite convoluted or even downright impossible, so I'm just here for ideas.

GRH : +5 :c5culture: / +2 :c5gold: / +2 :tourism:
  • 50% of the :c5culture: from tiles/WW/NW is converted into :tourism:. -- No gimmicks, just straight to the point by simply amplifying the standard Hotel's function. Your capital / core cities will generally still be the greatest beneficiaries of this aspect, due to usually owning the best terrain alongside GPTI.
  • +2 :c5gold: / :tourism: for every tile separating this city and the next closest owned city. -- Minimum is 3 tiles between (though, some people do adjust this setting higher for more spacing), so that starts it at +6 :c5gold: (the cost of the standard Hotel, so in effect, this feature grants each city with a maintenance free UB at the very least). Building a GRH in each city is a given, so although the stacking yields are strong, it doesn't really accompany any different unique gameplay because your building them anyways (the Stalker0 argument). I believe my mechanic would bring a bit more flavour and variance, instead of simply stacking yields.
  • :c5trade: City Connections provide +5 :tourism: / :c5culture: to Seaports, and if a Train Station is present, +2 :c5culture: on railroad tiles which form :c5capital:Capital connections. -- Seaports get an up-front boost so they're not excluded from gaining a bonus, meanwhile, a landlocked city at a crossroads with rail tiles connecting 2 other owned cities (3 rails to each city) would receive 18 :c5culture: which further translates into 9 :tourism: after the 50% conversion synergy.
These numbers could all still be tweaked -- who knows, maybe my proposal is actually too weak, or my rail idea is moot -- but IMO, I think they're closer to being balanced than the yields you've just implemented, plus they require more 'tactics' than just binging culture in the capital, which most civs do regardless; under your new design, a player's biggest city (probably your capital 9/10 times), with say, 40 :c5culture: from tiles/WW/NW, would be granting 10 :c5gold: / :tourism: to each owned city + the stacking yields (e.g., if we assume a decently sized wide empire at 10 cities with a GRH, that equates to +20 :c5gold: / :tourism: each) + GRH base yields = 6 :c5culture: / 32 :c5gold: / 32 :tourism: per UB (or 60 / 320 / 320 on a 10 city empire) starting at Industrial. I think that's probably a bit heavy compared to contemporary UB like the Skola or Grand Ecole (I can't recall their yields / features off hand, but I don't think they're that powerful). I know it's still a late UB, and has reliance on :c5trade:, thus justifying more power, but I think it's probably over done a tad. I could be wrong though, maybe it's all fine and everything balances/scales well, so ultimately the only way to know is by testing, which I unfortunately won't have the means to do in the near future (I still haven't managed to get halfway through an Ainu game for Hinin).

This is all after first glance; please don't take my critique to heart, as I know you've already done the work for your new update, but I still figure I'd share, just in case you're intrigued.

Top Bottom