Colonialist Legacies' Canadian Dominion for VP

I also don't understand why you included a Great Work % boost.
That is just a bonus from the base Hotel
if a Train Station is present, +2 :c5culture: on railroad tiles which form :c5capital:Capital connections.
This sounds really intense, and I'm not sure if it's possible. I am not sure if I can add yields to road improvements, and I would have to loop through every workable tile near every city, check it for a railroad, and check if it's a railroad that actually goes somewhere. Even if it is doable, it would slow down turns quite a bit.
+2 :c5gold: / :tourism: for every tile separating this city and the next closest owned city. -- Minimum is 3 tiles between (though, some people do adjust this setting higher for more spacing), so that starts it at +6 :c5gold:
It would be wayyyy more expedient to have the distances calculated from the :c5capital:capital, rather than having to loop through every city to find the shortest distance between any city, that would be a city loop nested inside another city loop. I still like this idea though, it combines nicely with the tile grab on ITRs from the UA. There must be some way to be a bit more efficient about it. The one thing that hurts this flavor is that it rewards you for settling cities on far-off, useless islands just for 20+ tiles between itself and any other city, and I don't think that's the intention.

This here gave me pause, because I got thinking:
  • Every tile further away from your nearest city is 1 more railway tile
  • Each railway tile costs 2:c5gold: maintenance, so the 2:c5gold::tourism: for distance only manages to cover the cost of its own :c5trade:city connection.
  • The boost I came up with has a similar problem, where gold bonuses on :c5trade:city connections need to be pretty good in order to justify themselves.
I think they're closer to being balanced than the yields you've just implemented, plus they require more 'tactics' than just binging culture in the capital, which most civs do regardless;
I don't think that's true though?
This only works off :c5culture:Culture from terrain (ie. includes natural wonders). Canada can get 2+:c5culture:culture from its forts to start, but it also has holy sites, natural wonders, jungle/forest zoos, and archeological sites, NWs and Archaeology sites are actually less likely to be in the Capital, and you are more likely to have chopped forest around your first few cities. You will need enough :c5citizen:population base and tiles to work that culture, so I expect it will end up being an older bigger city, but I don't necessarily think it would end up being the capital even half of the time.

In the end, I think we're on-board with the idea of trying to make wide tourism viable for Canada as the central goal of the 2nd UB. I like the idea of 4UC putting more tension between Statecraft and Artistry. My implemented proposal is chiefly about converting the bonuses from forts from the HBC into a global bonus, and stopping smaller cities from becoming tourism drains for culture. We'll see if that has actually been accomplished, or if we need to do more. I'll keep the yields for distance in my back pocket if more oomph is needed.

Last edited:
Yeah, fair enough. I knew there would probably be issue somewhere, but it's still fun to brainstorm. I will try your update when possible, and thank you once again for doing all this fine work on your free time.

Aren't they synced well? Any Canadian unit stationed on fort would pay for itself, where each tile of railway would pay for itself, too.
So if you can somehow reduce the maintenance cost of Canadian units and railway, or boost the efficiency of fort and railway, you would have a net gain there,
which I think is good enough as a special play style already.

Okay so I have messed some thing up with Canada

The Coureur des Bois expires at the wrong tech, they should expire at Flight.
The Railway Hotel's bonus is applying globally instead of locally right now, which is making the bonus multiply for each built on empire. Not intended.

In my recent game, before I quit, This is what the bonus looked like:
  • I had a city with 30:c5culture: on terrain from my 4th City (Toronto)
    • 2:c5culture: from 2 Goddess of the Hunt boosted Camps
    • 16:c5culture: from 2 Prophecy boosted Holy Sites
    • 12:c5culture: from 3 Imperialism boosted Forts and a Citadel
  • That converts to 30 /4 == 7.5 == 7:c5gold::tourism: in all cities with a Railway Hotel.
I hadn't gotten to Archaeology yet, so Landmarks never got factored in, but that would have been a big boost if you could manage to get 2 on a city or something
I thought Imperialism gave 2:c5culture: but it only gives 1:c5culture:, which is nice. I was worried Canada would feel railroaded into that policy tree, but it's not really a deciding factor by itself.
However, Imperialism and Menin Gate (Wargames WC wonder) combined would give 5:c5culture: per fort/citadel, which would be huge.

Altogether, I mainly wanted to see what an empire would be generating from tiles when Railroads unlocks, and if the potential was there. I don't think I have conclusively determined that Railroad hotel is in a good spot (once I have eliminated the yields-multiplying bug), but I'm content for now that the Railway Hotel is a decent economic boost, and could be a decent :tourism:Tourism battery if you were contemplating flipping to a Cultural victory. It is unfortnuate that you have to make your decision about Statecraft vs Artistry before Archeological digs reveal to give more info to make that decision, but that's not the RWH's fault.

I had a great time playing this civ and finally have diplomats be useful. One point of note is that I think its focus is to play more peacefully by going mainly for CV or DV, so I didn't like the UU replacement being more offensively oriented. I think having a bonus on being in a fort or citadel would lead to a more cohesive kit.

Yay! Glad you liked it :goodjob:

you have a pretty dedicated non-combat UU with the CdBois, so the ExForce is the only military UU.

I actually do play Canada militarist. I like the route and unit maintenance reductions, garrison bonuses, and it combines well with Imperialism, which has the Fort/Citadel bonuses. So I use the ExForce as a late game domination spike; it’s slightly stronger than the foreign legion.

how was the railway hotel? I’m particularly interested to get feedback on if that feels okay.

True, it is the only military UU.

I was cut off at the poles with an aggressive Sweden as my nearest neighbour, so I couldn't expand too much, despite (or maybe to my fault by) going Progress. I mixed between Imperialism and rationalism to get the GG bonus and fort bonuses to help keep myself standing, but I wasn't aiming to conquer whatsoever, because the world was loving me and I wanted to keep being able to have diplomats with nearly every other civ. After Sweden and the next neighbour Egypt made a collective assault on me (while a navy bribed war was also taking some resources), I was forced to put most resources into defense. Tourism was never my aim and definitely not anymore at that point either. I build the railway hotel for its culture, but never aimed for cultural victory, so honestly it didn't move the needle much on how I played the civ. I build a hotel early, whereas I wouldn't have done so otherwise and I planted some holy sites in the same city.

What are those focus coded in each civ?

Does the AI understand that a UU can be used for a diplomatic mission? And can AI use diplomats to get extra votes? I've always wanted to add custom civs to the game, but I've often been put off by the fact that AI-controlled custom civs often don't understand how to use their unique components properly

The CdB uses the AI for the diplomatic units, and has their flavors, so yes.

The CdB uses the AI for the diplomatic units, and has their flavors, so yes.
Thanks for the answer! I will definitely try this civilization in the game. In order to remove the 3rd and 4th Unique Components, is it enough to delete the 4uc folder in the archive with the mod? I prefer to play without this mod, however I guess it is included in the archive by default.

The 4UC components will turn themselves off if you aren’t playing with 4UC. You don’t have to do anything

The 4UC components will turn themselves off if you aren’t playing with 4UC. You don’t have to do anything
This is strange, because on the civ selection screen, I have The 4UC components for Canada, even though The 4UC components is not installed. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I corrected the dependencies of the mod, since it does not work after great merge.

Last edited:
Tried this mod for the first time, one thing I noticed was the insane quality difference with the music.

Shame they didn't give the base civ's better music, that actually sounded like it belongs to that civ. (other than the Zulu, they have great music)

Does anyone know of a mod that changes the base civ music? It's one of the few things Civ 6 did better.

update posted with a small rework on the Canadian UU2
What's the reasoning behind the "Resolve" promo?
Tried this mod for the first time, one thing I noticed was the insane quality difference with the music.

Shame they didn't give the base civ's better music, that actually sounded like it belongs to that civ. (other than the Zulu, they have great music)
Wait until you hear Best Korea's... :rockon:

What's the reasoning behind the "Resolve" promo?
I updated the pedia entry to justify and give background to the change. See the 2nd paragraph:
The Canadian Expeditionary Force, or CEF, was the field force sent by Canada to support Britain in the European theater of World War I. After distinguishing themselves at Ypres, the Somme, Vimy Ridge, and Passchendaele, the Canadian infantry were widely regarded as the most disciplined and effective Allied force on the western front. Under the capable command of Lieutenant-General Julian Byng, Canadian troops were the first on the Entente side to adopt modern "stormtrooper" infiltration tactics and earned a reputation as crack troops.

The newly formed Canadian Corps got off to a rocky start. The men were held back by poor administration and unreliable equipment, and their first engagement was hit by the Germans' first lethal gas attack at Ypres. Despite this, morale and training gradually improved, and the Corps continued to grow until it reached 100,000 fighting men in late 1916. As a condition of their participation and submission to British high command, the government demanded the Canadian Corps be kept together as a single, national army on the Western Front. This posed a problem for the British, who couldn't break the Canadians into smaller battalions to be spread along the front as needed, but it had some advantages too. By staying together, the Canadians developed strong ties between soldiers and officers, and attained higher levels of training and discipline than the other Entente troops. Being forced to make use of a single, massive corps of 100,000 troops also meant that the Canadians became conditioned to fighting in the largest, most aggressive pushes all over the Front. The Germans quickly learned that if they spotted Canadians in the other trench, a major fight was coming soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom