Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Yep, this leader in particular was very involved with the Europeans.

I really like the leader art, but I can't make a decent guess. All I can really go on is that the background appears to be a lake of some kind. Between that and the European connection, my first thought was Ojibwe, but you've already made them so that's out. Maybe Huron? I mean, they did work with the French, and it'd be interesting to re-enact the Beaver Wars from their perspective, but beyond that I really don't have a clue...

I confess, Africa's more my area of expertise. =]

Trees look Pacific Northwest or Canada.

I have too limited knowledge of most North American natives to make a decent guess (my thing is mesoamerica), but both the music and leaderscreen are incredible.

I'll give you guys a clue. This guy had multiple cities, a war and a brand of car named after him.

Well it's clearly Pontiac. I miss those cars...

Unless I mixed him up with Chief Chevrolet.

I'll give you guys a clue. This guy had multiple cities, a war and a brand of car named after him.

At first glance, I thought Pontiac, but there are a couple things in the image that would be erroneous for Pontiac so I hesitated. So, hmm... I can let you guys know what the issues are if you're interested in fixing them (and assuming that is actually Pontiac and there's not some other guy who meets all those qualifications).

EDIT: Also I just realized why the guy looked familiar!

Spoiler :

The Silent Shadow would have made a better Pontiac than the Coyote Man.

I was going for the closest thing I could find based on source images like this:

Spoiler :

The Silent Shadow has only one pose that I can find online, and it's mid strike - so I don't think that's true in this case. I also tried to make Pontiac look more like a nicer guy (as opposed to the Coyote Man who looks like the Devil Incarnate).

Let me know what you'd like to see changed.

Before I heard of this particular project, I thought up a couple of vague ideas for Canadian and Inuit civs.

The Canadian one had a UB Mint (Outpost: no requirements to build, +1 gold from camps and lumber mills) and a UU Great War Infantry (Corps: some sort of buff to nearby units, which also applied to friendly/allied CSs and civs that you share a DoF and/or DP with) and a UA that gave some bonuses to railroads (higher production buff) and various resources (wheat and oil, to be specific). I like a couple of your ideas better-- diplo-oriented, garrison bonus for mounties (considered working it into my idea, but never worked out how).

As for the Inuit, you haven't posted the details on that one yet, so I'll post my proposal in full and see how it compares later to whatever you've come up with:

UA: Sled Dogs: While in friendly or neutral territory, land units gain +1 :c5moves: Movement and civilian units ignore terrain cost.
UB: Iglu: Replaces Granary, no maintenance cost. +2 :c5food: food, +1 :c5food: food from luxury resources.
UI: Inuksuk: Unlocked at Construction. May only be built on Snow and Tundra, cannot be built adjacent to another inuksuk. +1 of a chosen yield :)c5food:, :c5production:, :c5gold:, :c5faith:, :c5culture:, :c5science:) to all adjacent tiles; identical bonuses don't stack.

Geared to take advantage of snow and tundra (naturally), but with enough bonuses to get along fine elsewhere. (To elaborate on the UI: a tile adjacent to a "food" inuksuk and two "production" inuksuit would only increase by +1 food, +1 production.) Looking forward to your own take on the civ.

We've already thought out the ideas for the Inuit, and they work really, really nicely so far. Thanks for the ideas though! We are open for ideas on all other planned civs however.

The Silent Shadow has only one pose that I can find online, and it's mid strike - so I don't think that's true in this case. I also tried to make Pontiac look more like a nicer guy (as opposed to the Coyote Man who looks like the Devil Incarnate).

I found a few other pictures of Silent Shadow, but they're probably not as hi-res and you need. Just in case, though:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Also, if you can, edit out those feather ear-rings he's wearing.

Let me know what you'd like to see changed.
With the "Pontiac" himself:

Coyote Man's bone breastguard isn't appropriate for Pontiac. It's a Plains accessory and wouldn't have been used by Pontiac. He also seems to be holding a spear, which again was a Plains weapon (because it could be used effectively from horseback). If you want Pontiac to hold a weapon, he'd be more accurate with a musket, a gunstock club or other eastern-style war club or a bow.

The Background:

It's not the Great Lakes. There are no mountains like that anywhere in the area. There are bluffs and cliffs around the Lakes, but not jagged stony mountains. If that's image depicts a location in North America, it's definitely from much further west.

You might want to use the reconstruction of Fort Michilimackinac as the background, perhaps even as a stand-in for Fort Detroit while Pontiac was besieging it. Just for fun, I quickly threw together another concept for a leaderscreen, using the concept art for the Silent Shadow. Obviously not up the high standards you guys have set, but maybe it'll inspire someone.

Spoiler :

It's actually a staff as opposed to a spear. I'll see if I can definitely edit out the mountains, but the breastplate is going to be a LOT harder to do since I'm not photoshop wizard. I'll see if I can add in a fort or something in the distance.

But as it stands, there are not many high-quality renders of the Silent Shadow. I tried to match the colour scheme of the Civ as much as possible (Rich Red/Sky Blue) as much as possible - and the Coyote Man and this background did that quite well (silent shadow works best with a greenish scheme as you demonstrated). I don't think that SS look like the interpretations of Pontiac that I've seen.

For now, here is some Canada Art:

Spoiler :

don't think that SS look like the interpretations of Pontiac that I've seen.

There aren't any contemporary portrayals of Pontiac, which is part of the problem. The reason the Silent Shadow seems more appropriate to me is because he's dressed in a way that would have been common for a high-status member of an Eastern Woodland society at the time.

For the record, I have Robert Griffing's depictions of Pontiac and his contemporaries in my mind. He does a lot of art depicting the mid-1700s which is generally accurate when depicting what people were wearing at the time. He did the background image in my makeshift leaderscreen, for example. Here are a few more:

"Pontiac"
Spoiler :

"The Conspiracy"
Spoiler :

"Planning the Attack on Fort Pitt"
Spoiler :

"Through the Straits of Mackinac"
Spoiler :

Also, a few decades too late, but here's a Anishinaabe outfit from 1790:

Spoiler :

I could put the hat on him. I'll see how it plays out.

I'll leave you to it. I've bothered you enough on that point.

How about the Anishinaabe Uniques? Would you like any input on that? Here's the idea I've been kicking around:

Capital: Michilimackinac
Unique Ability: Council of Three Fires -- When founding first three cities after your capital, choose whether they are an Ojibwe City (+3 :c5faith:), Odawa City (+3 :c5gold:), or Potawatomi City (+3 :c5culture:). Each option may be selected once.
Unique Building: Midewigaan (Temple): Has a slot for Great Works of Writing. When filled provides additional :c5faith: and land units in trained in that city gain the Medic promotion. Alternatively, scrap the Great Work slot and just make it give more :c5faith: and / or the Medic Promotion.
Unique Unit: Ogichidaa (Musketman): Combat bonus against Cities, Forts, and Citadels [Alternative - generates :c5faith: from pillaging Forts and Citadels). General Combat bonus based on unspent Faith or perhaps how much Faith the Civ is generation per turn.

Re: Midewigaan, I had also mentioned the idea to Leugi that it would make a good Faith-purchased building as part of a new Follower Belief, like he did with Synagogues. But since you want to have a :c5faith:-focused Anishinaabe, it could work as a UB here.

We want to have it more focused on Science, Faith and Trade. Since the Odawa were unparalleled traders, we'd like to have a bonus that either extends the length of caravans, has a bonus for incoming/outgoing routes or reduces the cost of production.

We were going to use a Missionary replacement (Ojibwe Medicine Man) that provides a weak healing aura as a UU. Midwegaans would provide additional science and allow units trained in the city to have the medic promotion (which is then balanced by having higher maintenance).

We might just stick with Medicine Man (because popular culture). It is subject to change though. Do you have any ideas/requests for a trade based UA?

Top Bottom