1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TPangolin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Prince

Understandable.

He's Marshall Dancing Elk Lucas, but I can see the resemblance.

2. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Sorry for being pedantic, but the boomerang wasn't a weapon.

3. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Sorry for being pedantic, but that isn't entirely true.

Your typical generic returning boomerang was more often used to scare birds into nets so, yes it probably couldn't be called a 'weapon'.
    On the other hand boomerang were sometimes of a non-returning kind, more like throwing sticks and these most assuredly were weapons, mostly of animals like kangaroo but equally effective against foes.

4. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Prince

Here are a few sources on the topic I found.

From The Prehistoric Arts, Manufacturers, Works, Weapons, Etc., of the Aborigines of Australia

It mentions a few other boomerangs used in fighting, but also says only non-returning boomerangs were used this way. Returning boomerangs were used only for hunting.

From The Australian Frontier Wars, 1788-1838:

You can read that bit from the Sydney Gazette here.
    There's also ancient artwork of men using boomerangs against each other, discussed in this article from the Cambridge Archaeological Journal:

5. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Jeez, I didn't make myself very clear, didn't I?

When I say boomerangs, I mean what the typical person thinks: a curved stick that comes back. I was going to edit it, actually, but I had to leave. I knew it'd come back to hit me.

6. RawSasquatch

RawSasquatch Minuteman

Oy vey.

Moderator Action: This is an English speaking forum. If you're going to use a Yiddish phrase, please supply a translation.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. ubergeneral

ubergeneral Warlord

How exactly did you get the Pontiac leader head? Was it from a screenshot from Assassin's creed 3? Maybe it's possible to get a better one. I don't know anything about that game, so it's something im interested in looking into.

8. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

From the AC wiki.

9. TPangolin

Updated the OP :)

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Attached is the working patch for Australia and Mexico.

Just so you're aware, your "replacement" city-states don't show up with their proper city names. The database still shows that their cities are Sydney and Melbourne. So try:

Spoiler :
    Code:
    <Update>
    	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_DUBAI"/>
    	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_MELBOURNE"/>
    </Update>
    <Update>
    	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_MONTEVIDEO"/>
    	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_SYDNEY"/>
    </Update>

EDIT: Switched Montevideo out for Honiara.

EDIT: Added the direct mod (the second attachment) for those that want to try it immediately.

Attached Files:

11. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

TPangolin, are you able to say with confidence when the Canada civilization is going to be released? I'm very interested in a game with all three of your modern civilizations in it.

Also, is the Avro Arrow going to be a unique unit or graphic for the mod? The two units you have on the first post look really neat, especially the artillery piece. I like it's ability of two shot while in a city, as to show the civilization is more of a defensive-based country, but can still attack if necessary.

A second note is will Canada have start preference to ocean/sea tiles like Byzantium, England, and Carthage?

12. TPangolin

Canada hopefully will be released on Monday. The Avro Arrow will be in the mod (it's just a graphic - doesn't change any stats). Canada has a Tundra start bias.

13. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

Sounds awesome, can't wait.

14. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Awesome, Cant wait to try Canada, keeping good friend on one side, and pissing of your target with dynamic borders+citadels.

15. NameUndisclosed

NameUndisclosed Chieftain

I have to say, these civs are looking quite nice! I'll be proud to someday play a game with nothing but your civs. :)

I did notice something, however, in this Dawn of Man screen:

Iqualuit should be spelled Iqaluit, without the first U. Other than that, though, this is perfect! :D

16. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

@JFD

So glad someone found that error. (I wasn't really looking, just bugged me when I tried this mod though)

Shows what another set of eyes can do. Such a simple error that doesn't halt the mod loading, just annoy those that use it.

17. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Prince

I had a sudden realization today regarding the Anishinaabe. I had previously been focused on the Council of Three Fires when considering ideas for this Civ, but since the Algonquin are non-Council Anishinaabe, they provide an interesting possibility for a Unique Unit. The Algonquin had a weapon that English historians translated as "The Devil's Head." A heavy stone was secured to a pole by an animal-skin covering that was painted with a fearsome looking face. It's essentially a thrown warhammer, used to smash up enemy canoes and formations (prior to the advent of firearms, Northeast warriors fought in compact formations; post-firearm the dominant formation was a dispersed U-shaped one used to surround the enemy while allowing them an avenue for retreat). The Devil's Head was not used in colonial times, however. The Algonquin recalled it only from memory. But based on the Vinland Sagas, it seems the Norse settlers ran into people wielding such a weapon and it was quite effective against them.

18. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

That's a really fancy UU option Reedstilt!

19. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Can you provide me with some links for additional readings on this? Sounds interesting.

20. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Prince

There's not a lot to go on, but here are the sources I know of.

From The Indian Tribes of the United States (also when I said "English" earlier I should have really said "English-speaking Americans" since the book was written later than I remembered):

* Though we usually think of a "ballista" as being something like a giant crossbow, it's important to remember here that the name is derived from the Latin for "To Throw."

And from the Vinland Sagas: