1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TPangolin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

I prefer the still image.

2. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Chieftain

Yeah, I've got to agree. While the gif is cool, the novelty of it wears off after a while. The image with the ship looks better anyway (at least in my opinion).

3. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

This is a symptom of the combination of both method I used to assign cities names and the way Civ 5 handles city names.

Under the hood, all Cree cities are named "A Cree City."
    My Lua script determines which cities they are and changes their name as appropriate.

Strangely enough Civ5, for all its use of internal names for everything, uses the contents of the internal names (i.e., the external or visible names) of cities when determining conflicts. I suppose this is on purpose just in case you have two civs, say, Canada and Quebec, and both have Quebec City as a city name, and one is TXT_KEY_CANADA_CITY_12 and the other is TXT_KEY_QUEBEC_CITY_1, you still don't get conflicts.

As it is, though, if you name a city "A Cree City" (TXT_KEY_THECREEFIRSTNATION_CITY_2) and the next is also "A Cree City" (TXT_KEY_THECREEFIRSTNATION_CITY_3), the result will actually be that the second city is called " "

Atilla doesn't benefit from the amazingness of the renaming code, so he's going a bit squirrelly.

4. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Aannd I have a patch to make him a bit smarter.

Also, let me please ask you not to make a game where everyone is Cree. That would be bad for your city names.

5. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Chieftain

Thanks for explaining Attila's little quirk when it comes to the Cree. I really appreciate it. I might not know much about programming, but I still enjoy hearing about what's involved in the coding process.

With that said, I now feel compelled to play a round of Civ with nothing in play except a handful of Cree computer players, just so I could potentially grasp how absurd such a situation would be.

6. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune Chieftain

Whatever does Pridelands entail in the OP? All I can find for it is stuff related to the Lion King...

7. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

That's the idea. TP was making a Pridelands Civ for April Fool's Day (conveniently around the time More Civs did The Buccaneers) based off The Lion King, because nothing bad can come of using Disney IP without their express permission. =]

Also, I did the DoM speech. Here it is:
    Spoiler :
    May the light of those who have gone before shine forever upon your lands, great Simba, lord of all lions. You came to unite all the animals of your lands under one banner, and in turn they helped you to bring life to what once was desert. Your father, cruelly ripped from this world by your murderous uncle, would be proud of the kingdom you have built around Pride Rock; a land of greenness and plenty, forever watched over by the wisdom of countless kings. By your will has the desert blossomed into a land of life, and every animal, from the lowliest mouse to the most highborn of lions, can share in its peace and prosperity.

O great king Simba, today is the day when all the light touches is yours, when you are the main event, when your people need a leader who rules while feeling the love tonight. Can you be like no king was before? Can you command an empire to move to the Circle of Life? Can you build a civilisation that will stand the test of time?

8. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Exactly.

9. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Yes, because Disney doesn't have the longest ever history of copyright hunting.

10. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Wow! The Anangu are rocketing ahead in the polls. That was unexpected. Perhaps we should revisit their traits?

11. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

Wait, are these the Aussie Aborigines? Definitely would be a good idea to see them in Civ V! Will Yagan be their leader? He usually is.

12. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Finally, about time we had those Aborigine civs in sight... would love to see a rediscussion of their traits.

13. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Chieftain

The Anangu are one just one group of Australian Aborigines, namely those from parts of Western Australia, as well as the central region of the continent, where Uluru is located. The Koori also herald from Australia, but from different areas, namely parts of New South Wales and Victoria, although it is also used to refer to those from Tasmania.

With that said, Yagan will probably not be the leader of either the Anangu or the Koori, since he was of the Noongar. The Noongar come from the south-western corner of Western Australia. If the Noongar do end up being part of the Colonialist Legacies mods, then Yagan will likely be the leader of that particular civilisation.

I'm happy that the Anangu are doing so well in the Polls. I may have only voted for them (since I didn't realise you could vote for multiple civs), so I feel particularly invested in them being included. I'd also really like to see the Koori modded in sometime soon, since they are the largest Aboriginal culture in the area that I live in.

14. TPangolin

Yeah, the Koori are also relevant from where I'm from too. We'll revisit the Anangu in a moment - for now, I've just completed the final infographic (The Boers) with some updated leader art from DJSHenninger!

OP completely overhauled now.

15. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

It looks sensational.

16. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Wow, that makes Kruger's neckbeard look almost elegant. Almost...

This first post revamp also made me remember how awkward that name for Mexico's UA looks. Turns out when I came up with the name I meant to say "Braves of Chapultepec", but spanish got in the way and I ended up saying "Valiants of Chapultepec". one of the few instances where I actually thought something in Spanish (Valientes de Chapultepec) and tried to force translate it into english.

Fortunately, valiant seems to also be a word in english, and it apparently nobody seems to mind the odd wording, so it all came out better in the end.

And that's your useless trivia of the day. :D

17. TPangolin

I noticed that somewhat! I still prefer Valiants though, sounds increasingly more majestic :)

I also added icons to the OP at the request of Superwaffle. In regards to Kruger's neckbeard - I actually think that his leaderscreen is easily one of the most elegant of the Colonialist Legacies mods - especially combined with the peace music and waterfall/nautre ambience.

I'm actually interested to hear what leaderscreens they like best - since tastes seem to vary all over the place.

http://imgur.com/a/Yguii

18. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Chieftain

My personal favourite leader-screen is Thanadelthur's (although my decision might be somewhat influenced due to having studied Thanadelthur for the Dene 'pedia entries). I love the way the snowy landscape fades into the map of the Dene territories. Thanadelthur herself looks excellent. She looks the part of a healthy young woman, whilst her composed yet concerned expression hints at the turmoil she suffered through over the course of her unfortunately short life.

I also really like the Boer and Australian leader-screens, but my secondary vote has to go towards the one depicting Rizal. The colours representing the Filipino isles and the ocean surrounding them looks superb. I also love the image used to represent Rizal, the hint of a smile playing on his lips whilst he observes your every move with calm clarity.

19. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

I really love how the Trung Sisters are stood there expecting you to pull something so they can gut you with a massive sword or tell their elephant to stamp you flat. Just go ahead and try it, boy. Make our day.

(Also, Trungs having angry UST with Wu Zetian? Call me a Civ focused on maritime trade routes because Shippinggrace is shippiiiiiiing~)

20. EricNgui

EricNgui CPU of 1980's Planeptune

@TPangolin I really love your mods. I must say it is very accurate and enjoyable to play with.:goodjob: But, i'm afraid you did make great mistake.:( Regarding your "Malaysian" civ, it is very incorrectly in historically and technically.....:sad: I mean that "Malaysian" civ does not represent all of the races, it just represent the Malaccan people, only. There is a ton of races in Malaysian, for example Iban, Bidayuh, Melanau, Kadazan, Dusun, and many more (I'm a Bidayuh/Iban anyway). Therefore, it makes them so insignificant in the mod. I hope you rename that civ to Malacca. :( Sorry to make this uncomfortable statement, i just had to voice out that great mistake....